What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
me too man, nothing is better than starting your day off with some early football action
/plus the pregame ritual

what a weekend of football!
some good games and some not so good games,the chiefs/pats was one of the best games of the season and went down the the last minutes of play
mahomes held his own and looked good while brady showed why he is one of the best of all time
i was kind of bumed at how the dawg'pound played against the chargers; it seemed that la'cocs rush was just too much for baker to handle with the blocking he was getting up front
broncos brought their a'game and gave the rams all the had
while the rams felt like they were in the drivers seat the whole game the broncos looked really good and kept the game close, but it was gurley who took the team and put them on his back
the defense was still disruptive in the backfield but they gave up a ton of points

a lot of other great games too and it was a fun weekend of football

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
10am games are a bit early, although like someone said, just gives you an excuse to start drinking earlier. But the london games are probably like 7am PST, that's like wake and bake time. Again, not a bad thing, but still pretty early for most people on a sunday...

Chargers dominated the browns, won by 24pts. I thought cleveland would put up more of a fight, but mayfield was held in check.

Rivers is having a low key MVP caliber season. Is it weird that he's playing some of the best football of his career when his 2004 draftmate Eli manning is playing his worst?

That pats-chiefs game was exciting, especially the 2nd half. Mahomes threw 4 td's in the 2nd half to tie up the game but the patriots hit a game winning FG as time ran out. It might have been better for the chiefs to let gronk score on that deep completion than tackle him inside the 10 yard line; at least the chiefs would get the ball back and have a chance to tie it up again.

So chiefs are no longer undefeated but they gave the patriots all they could handle in foxboro. With jacksonville sputtering under bortles (lost 40-7 to the cowboys) i guess those 2 teams are still the best in the afc? Maybe steelers can make an argument, especially once they get leveon back? Or the chargers, whose only losses are to the rams and chiefs?

I never really heard of jim taylor, Pinball, but looking at his history he was actually the 2nd best RB in the league during Jim Brown's heyday, so that's pretty darn impressive. No word on whether he suffered from CTE or alzheimers or anything brain related, but he was apparently in good health late in life (ran 5 miles a day into his 60's).

Bears lost in OT to Miami. They gave up 380 yds and 3 tds to the Lobster, Brock Osweiler, although they did get 2 int's off him. And a lot of the yardage was off short passes that albert wilson took to the house. Very frustrating watching him catch a 5 yard pass, see 4-5 bears converge on him, no one makes a tackle and he runs all the way to the end zone. Reminiscent of that 4th quarter against green bay in week 1.

Trubisky had a bad pick in the end zone but other than that had a pretty good day stats wise, but i tend to look at things from a fantasy football perspective. He had 350 yds passing, 50 rushing, 3 tds and the 1 red zone int.

Do i like him? I mean, he wasnt able to close out the game against miami, was only able to set up a 53 yd field goal in OT which we missed. He also couldnt close out the game against the packers in week 1, but he's put up good numbers his last 2 games so that's very encouraging.
This loss i would pin more on the defense: when you put up 28pts vs a brock osweiler led team, u should win. But mack was held in check and the defense couldnt make a tackle when they needed to, although getting kenyan drake to fumble at the goal line in OT was a nice play.
Trubs isnt brady or rodgers, he hasnt led the bears to any come from behind wins, but he's thrown 9 tds the last 2 games. He's what we have at QB, and the arrow is pointing up. After suffering through 8 years of ups and downs (mostly downs) with cutler, i'm more than satisfied with this qb situation...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
we saw a lot of crazy games this past weekend baba
blake bortles is playing like blake bortles again, but the real story was the cowboys taggin that D for all those point (something like 40?)
i had just changed my taek on his and thought this would be his year, but i wasnt expecting the defense to take a step back like they did
or are the dallas cowboys about to go on a tear and win the next 10 in a row
they have a mediocre schedule from here on out depending on how you feel about the eagles;who they play twice(they also meet up with atl and the saints)
but they should be able to play good .500 ball the rest of the season and could see some playoff action
chargers/browns wasnt anything like i was hoping for, but im still holding great expectations for mayfield
did he take an ass whoopin', you bet; but sometimes you learn the most from having it handed to you like that
i like the way you put it baba in that the QB arrow is pointing up in cleveland and we havent seen that in a long time
for whatever reason rivers is indestructible and should be able to play several more years at this level
hes never really been hurt and he seems to avoid taking the really big hits; plus the guy is pretty big and i hear he keeps himself in really good shape year round (this guy has to be in baby making shape 24/7/365)
even tho the chiefs lost to ne, i think mahomes is the best young qb in the league and that team is still red hot
i wont be suprised to see the chiefs/ pats meet up again at some point in the post season
they play the rams in a few weeks and that should be another gotw
i feel bad for david carr and can only laugh at what the raider nation has become, but hey why sign top tallent on the field when you ahve gruden back on the side lines
/carr took such a beating last week and if it keeps up, he is not going to be able to finish off the season without getting hurt

what a crazy start to the season its been and i think we are starting to see whos hot and whos not
lets hear your take on how your team is playing so far, fellows
what are some of the things you would like to see change and where do you think your team will finish

MrBungle

I had a feeling The Chargers were gonna bring on the ass whoopin... Cleveland's defense is wiped out with injuries... The first team is good , but the drop off is steep after that... Same with Receivers... Even Landry was flat... Like you said pop.. its a learning experience for Mayfield... On to the next week... I took it on the chin in both my fantasy leagues too.. d'oh!!!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Dang stoner, i used to keep those vampire hours but never did like it, always found it hard to sleep unless the room is completely blacked out (hard to do in bright sunshine), and also there tends to be more noise during the day (cars, people). But to each their own, im more of a night owl myself, but not that extreme...

Browns didnt play well at all vs the chargers but the coc's (chargers of carson city) are a legitimately a top 5-8 team, and the browns are very young so they'll be up and down this year, play poorly one week and play well the next. It wouldnt surprise me if they have a winning record the 2nd half of the season, once mayfield gets some more practice and game reps. His receivers arent doing him many favors, jarvis isnt playing great, callaway is dropping most everything and hyde isnt breaking any long runs. Maybe playing nick chubb more will open up the run game? That's dependent on hue jackson getting his head out of his ass...
I'm 5-1 in one league and 1-5 in my other, Bungle, with much the same players in both. Go figure...

Yeah Pop, that cowboys-jags score was surprising, putting up 40pts on that defense from a below avg offense was unexpected. But the boys are being more creative in their play calling and dak is using his legs effectively. I guess dak is up for a contract extension this offseason, not sure if he's worth top tier QB money (28M or more per season), maybe 20-24M a season is more reasonable for his ability?

I laughed at your rivers baby-making comment, Pop. What is he up to, 8 kids by now? His poor wife. Her hoo-hah must look like roast beef by now, after that many births. Or if they were c-sections, her stomach must be a mess of scars.

I would say that rivers might be taking some PED's, to be playing his best ball in his late 30's, but he's really religious so hes probably against that stuff. But he's playing way better than eli and even ben, his fellow 2004 draftees (or 2005?). Good for him.

Oakland has only 1 win and looked pretty bad against the hawks last week. I figured gruden's first year would be a work in progress, as he remakes the team the way he wants it. Heck, it might be a 2 year rebuild, if raiders fans can wait that long.

Bears are 3-2 and and still first in their division, vikings and packers are 3-2-1, not having their bye yet.

The offense has been better, im encouraged by mitch throwing for as many TD's the past 2 games as he did in the previous 15 games. Defense is very good but looks vulnerable when khalil mack isnt dominating. He's the best edge rusher in the league but even he cant dominate every quarter.

Jordan howard hasnt been used very much, if you own him in fantasy youre probably very disappointed. He's improved his pass catching ability but i think nagy still prefers cohen's game breaking speed in there, there's not a linebacker or even safety in the league that can cover him on a pass route. And that's really opened up the offense the past 2 games so cant complain if it's working...
Bears host the patriots sunday noon at soldier field, should be a real test to see if the bears are legit or not. Patriots defense isnt that great, the O should be able to put some pts on them, we'll see how the D matches up against brady, gronk, michel & white, gordon and edelman. Hope it's a good game, though i wouldnt mind a blowout win by the bears. :)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i agree with you baba about the chargers being top 8 team, but i see them more on the #8 side than #5
so far,they havent really beaten any of the top teams plus i think they have a tendency to choke when it comes to the big games
when it comes down to it, they have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball, but they just cant seem to pull it all together
when bosa returns the defense will jump but its not going to be enough
i think the chiefs are the hot ticket in the afcw and the chargers will be a wild card team
their schedule has some good games so we will see how they finish off their season
and #f spanos

so whats the deal with leveon bell
jallen ramsey seemed to have a lot to say about the qbs around the league, i wonder what he thinks of bortles play
rams are playing the 49'ers this weekend

so whats your take on buying team gear?
i went online and picked up a few t shirts (couple short sleeve and a couple long sleeve) and man, these things arent cheap
do you have any jerseys or stuff like that?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Most likely the bears will lose to the patriots, probably by more than 1 score, although NE is only favored by 3. Belichick shut down mahomes and the chiefs for the first half of their game, and the bears offense is playing better but is at best chiefs-lite. But a man can hope...

I dont as a general rule go out of my way to buy team gear, although buying it at places like walmart or sams club isnt too expensive. Ive suggested dhgate before, Pop, for really cheap but good quality team gear (even the official stuff is made in china, isnt it?) but i understand you dont want to give out your cc info to a chinese vendor. Perhaps if you use a prepaid card, it might not be so risky?

I think when bosa comes back and if he's 100%, the chargers might really be a team to fear during the playoffs. He's on the level of a khalil mack or jj watt when he's rolling (doing great). But ur right, they have a history of screwing things up somehow.

I dont think jalen ramsey wants to say anything about bortles now, and his defense hasnt been shutting opponents down either so perhaps he'll be quiet for a bit.

Supposedly leveon is going to report to the steelers on monday. Not sure why he wouldnt report earlier, dont players get checks for their bye weeks? If he reports this week, he gets an 850K check and doesnt have to play a game. Maybe he's wary of getting hurt in practice?

The nfl owners are meeting this week, and one of the topics is the concern over the chargers lacks of support in LA. Personal seat license sales at the new stadium have been really slow, supposedly they have to revise their estimate from 400 million in sales to 150M. That's like 1/3 of what they were thinking they would sell.

The rams success has really overshadowed the chargers, but also LA is a raiders town as well, and raiders fans hate the chargers. Apparently the highly paid consultants they hired to advocate for the move to LA forgot all about that.

F* Dean Spanos

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i was reading about the problems in los angles baba and it dosent look good for the chargers
like you mentioned, the town is not opening its arms to the team, but who in their right mind ever thought they would?
its mind boggling to think that they thought they could just pick up and move to la where they have no fan support, plus retain all their former san diego fans
and for what it cost to relocate, they could have put a nice down payment on a stadium here in san diego
spanos made sure to give the finger to all the san diego fans on his way out and while i will always love football, i have no love for the cocs anymore
but the bridge has been burnt and now we (the city of san diego) are talking about building "soccer city" where the murph is; basically multi use real estate (shopping, office space and residential), plus a major league style soccer stadium
if this happens san diego can say good bye to hosting any pro team for the next decade
relocating to la used to be the threat teams would use when their host cities wouldent cough up the big bucks to build a new stadium (at the publics expense) but now i think cities are thinking twice about shelling out the money like they were a few years ago
plus there are only a few places left in the US that could host a pro team (how many more football teams does ca, texas or fla need?)
i dont know, maybe okc (oaklahoma) would be a good host city for pro football?
if the chargers dont make it in la where will they go?
the girl works at target so i tell her to keep an eye out for any nfl gear, but the pickings are pretty slim
maybe a prepaid cc is the way to go, but with christmas around the corner i might have to ask santa if he has any rams gear
so whats the deal with tannahill? and how bad is he hurt
i hear miami will be starting ossweiler this week against the lions

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Sounds like you really have your finger on the pulse of how san diegans feel. Like, there are literally no chargers fans left in SD.
And the chargers are like the 17th most popular sports team in LA, behind every other pro franchise (nfl, mlb, nhl, nba), the major college teams (usc, ucla), the pro soccer teams (like 4 of them in the area) and even smaller college teams like Cal state fullerton and UC irvine.
As trump would say, "SAD."

What happens in the future, when the chargers continue to draw no fans, sell no merchandise? Maybe ticket sales will still be ok, even if most of the seats are taken by fans of the visiting team.
But if the team's overall revenue sucks, would spanos be forced to sell the team? Would its value be depressed because lack of monetary fan support? It will be interesting to see how this disaster plays out over the next few years, especially once the inglewood stadium opens. What if it's half empty for chargers games?

Prepaid cards are a bit of a pain, have to pay a monthly fee, etc, although walmart money cards dont rape you on the fees like some others. But it might be worth it, i think you can get pretty much authentic game jerseys from dhgate for like 20-30 bucks instead of 100+. Maybe order just 1 at first see how it is...
You're doing your christmas shopping early, it's only mid october Pop! You dont wait till after thanksgiving, get into those black friday sales? It's always a nightmare shopping that day...

Tannehill supposedly hurt his shoulder when a defender hit his arm in the middle of a pass. It was weird, the week before the bears game he was listed as a full participant in practice and then the next day was declared out for the game. Maybe just something that got worse the more he threw. Probably better for the dolphins to let him heal fully rather than try to play through it, they dont want an andrew luck situation (out for almost 2 years). But the lobster gets another start, maybe if he continues to play well he can trick some other team to offering him a big contract this offseason.

Well bears are hosting the patriots sunday. Im already seeing some bostonites infesting our great city. ughh, as if chicago wasnt low class enough...:biggrin:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
What up, badfishy, long time no see. Hope youre doing well.
I didnt get to see tannehill play vs the bears but the first 3 weeks of the season it seemed like he was playing well. Then they got creamed by the patriots, lost to the bengals where tannehill also got hurt, and then osweiler led the team to a win against the bears.
If they move on from tannehill, what should the team do, start tanking games so they can get a high draft pick and get one of the top college qb's?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
in addition to christmas, mrsChicky has a birthday coming up so i have to start my shopping early to cover all my bases
plus, i like to get the shopping doneand out of the way so i can just relax and enjoy my holiday season
im sure there are still a few fans left here in san diego, i know a couple people who still follow the chargers
but you are right baba about the chargers being way down there in popularity with angelinos
if spanos is smart he would sell the team asap
i can see the value of the franchise dropping fast once the real numbers come out at the end of the season (poor ticket sales, almost no fan support)
plus the fact that they are renting space in someone elses stadium; i wonder what kind of deal that have there (how many years are he locked in to, is there a cap on their rent?)
/kroenke is holding all the cards and plays just a big a part in the teams future as the fans
week 7 has some decent match ups
chargers game in london starts at 6.30a wct so i will be hitting the couch ealry
we also get the bears/pats as 10a game on the west coast
rams play the afternoon game against the 49ers and im hoping for some fireworks (hopefully the 9rs can move the ball against the rams and keep things interesting)
the sunday night game bengals/ chiefs should be good
heard there was some shit talking between burfect and the steelers last week after a big hit on antonio brown; apparently he went to the line of scrimmage after the play and told juju smith schuster "youre next"
we are thinking about doing a pulled pork this weekend
cant wait for the action to begin and i hope everyone has a great weekend

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ah, i had a roommate once whose birthday was like the same week as christmas; he always got screwed on holiday presents. It's like, here's one present for both your bday and christmas, haha.

Supposedly the chargers might be one of the teams that could move to London if the nfl does bring a franchise to the UK, but the chargers signed a 20 year lease on kroenke's new stadium, doubt stan would let spanos out of the lease to move to london without some other team moving in to take over their commitment. Stan wants at least 20 nfl games there a year (8 home games plus 2 preseason home games from each team) and he needs those games to fill up the stadium. But what if chargers games are more than half empty and the revenue projections suck? Maybe stan would let them go if some other team(s), like some of the pro soccer teams, moves in.

Im looking forward to bengals/chiefs as well, the chiefs are always a good show. Do you not hate the chiefs, even though they were a divisional rival of the chargers? Maybe your hate for them is less than for raiders/broncos?

Im not surprised burfict threatened JuJu, juju gave him a concussion last year on a vicious blindside block. Those bengals-steelers games are always so hard hitting, guys just trying to knock each other out. Thats how shazier broke his neck, with a bad form tackle. Wish it would end before someone gets seriously hurt again, but it's like the hatfields and mccoys, you dont even know how it started, it's just a never ending series of retaliations and revenge taking.

Pulled pork is always good, are you doing it carolina bbq style, or carnitas style for tacos? Any side dishes and drinks? More fresh hash? I'm living vicariously through you as im eating my week old chinese leftovers, drinking some old skunky beer, and having to go without herb (the ol ball and chain has put a crackdown on that, but i figure i can sneak around it using my old jailhouse down low methods :biggrin:)

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Ahhh 930 am football.
How I love it so.
Football till almost midnight here!
Tho I'm in bed way before then.

Can the Lions can go to Miami and get a win???

I sure hope so...

Latest posts

Latest posts