What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- 400w HOG (Halfpipe Of Green) -

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Hi everybody and welcome to my second IC mag grow thread.

The strains are 2 Durban cuts, and four 007 (secret freebie mix from seedbay) from seed. The 007s are all females sexed during veg.

As you can see from the pics below, there is a screen, but its not a conventional scrog. This scrog variant I am calling HOG - halfpipe of green. I have dished out the screen in this way for better light and space efficiency. I have calculated the theoretical space efficiency to be at least 30% higher than a flat screen. This is my first attempt at this type of grow.

The light is a 400w sunmaster deluxe hps. this lamp supposedly puts out a little more blue spectrum than standard hps. I have a rotating grill type 30 cm oscilating fan, and a huge 80w centrifugal fan for extraction (which is way overkill for a small space)

There are 6 pots which are about 25cm wide square pots. They hold perhaps 7 litres each, allowing for a nice size root system. The medium is a blend of different organic and inert media including soil, compost, WCs, perlite, coir, and layers of rockwool and expanded clay balls at the top and bottom. I might go into that a bit more later if people are interested.

Using mostly organic nutrients, supplemented with some synthetic nutrients. More on that later.

I will document this grow with regular updates and pics, hope you enjoy the thread.

Ez

Last edited:

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Hey Sauce whats up. They are about 10 days into 12/12 I think. The durbans are just starting to develop flowers, but the 007s are still just vegging away. I am hoping they will hurry up and start flowering so I can stop training them down.

G

Hey ezra! A pleasure to see such a clean grow. Will be watching this with great interest. It'd be good to know what's up on the nute side. Also, seems to me your HID is to far from the tops, what do you think? What reflector (pics, perhaps)?

Good luck!

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
I get it in principle . would love to see the results ... be watchin!

never seen anything like this! Good luck

Peace

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
thanks omo -
At the moment the lamp as high as it goes because there was a little light bleaching on the tops when first put under the 400. The previous light was a 130w cf in veg. So I increased the N and brought the lamp higher to let them adjust. They have responded very well to this. There is 72 wtts per square foot of floor space in there, so its quite a lot of light. The tops are about 65 cm away at the farthest point, this will be reduced to the optimum of 40 cm gradually as they adjust and of course as the tops penetrate the screen they will be closer to the light. The reflector is just a simple open batwing type.

Will elaborate more on nutes soon

G

wow nice setup man, everything's really lush in there! are you handwatering these, or are they irrigated? also, could you please expand on the layers of rw/clay you added? is that for purpose of aeration?

anyways, those plants look really healthy, but i have a beef with your setup....in order to be a halfpipe, there must be some amount of vert on the sides. without this vertical area, you are effectively only growing a mini-ramp of green (MROG). :D hehe, just playin!

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
hahahaha... thats funny shit man.

Actually, I think you will find that there is some "vert" in there. Its only on the right side, as on the left the fan prevents any significant amount of vert. There is a gap of about 6" between the screen and the wall of the cab where I am allowing the tops to grow unrestricted. Hopefully they will be some big colas.

Here is a pic which shows this more clearly.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
haha sweet, i remember googlin at these setups back in the day at OG.... glad to see some1 till runs em... all the benefits of scrog + more room and better lighting.

G

ezra, it looks like they went around the fence like illegals! these gringos won't be doing any cheap labor! but they will definetely enjoy basking in the sun!

i've harvested half of my first scrog, and i've learned a lot about the technique. i vegged way too long and that caused a LOT of popcorn, i lost yield due to that + a very poorly timed N deficiency in one of the bushes; however, the tall stuff around the outskirts of the closet made some nice fat tops.

do you think you've flowered at the optimal time? i let mine grow 6" above the screen before i flipped the lights, i wish i had done it a week earlier at least. i still ended up with 51g, plus another 14g or so of popcorn, from just over 1sqft. i can't be UNhappy, but im really looking forward to my next attempt.

G

i like it. been considering this screen approach for years. glad to see you doing it for real...

JWP

Any scrog is a good scrog. A HOG scrog is even better. I predict you will be breaking some yield records with this contraption for sure. :wave:

Edit: o yeah we are interested. Tell us why you use rockwool & clay layers at the top & bottom?

Last edited:
G

Hi Ezra,
That setup is really nice. I have also envisioned doing a grow like this. So much so that I designed a custom cool tube and hood that is shaped like your ramp which lets it sit in it deeper...more light. I'll upload some pics for you.

Inspired,
Seed

G

Here it is.

You can stuff some serious wattage in this thing. And set it low.
Game on.

Seed

Latest posts

Latest posts