What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Painting the Growroom.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I usually do my floors in pondliner, thought I would try something different this time. Is the latex based primer, kilz or ben, okay with a light bleach solution for cleaning?

clampie

I'm sure any primed surface would be fine with a light wipe with a cloth or sponge, but you would need finish coat to do any real scrubbing.

****Also, a good thing to note is that primed-only surfaces will yellow a bit if not top-coated, reducing their reflectivity, and lumens for the plants...

I can't stress it enough: it takes half the time (and paint!) it takes to prime the room. do a top coat... you'll be glad. to be really happy, do two. the second finish coat flies....

angel4us

ICMag Donor
there is a product called physan 20 which is highly recomended for disinfecting /cleaning .

majortom9

Gripper is a good primer that can be purchased in 5 gallon buckets, ICI/Dulux usually carries it. Also, SpeedWall is a good flat/mat paint that dosent cost an arm and a leg but is good quality for our purposes. Another tip, when you load your roller nap up to start painting, always start about a foot away from any corners, door frames etc. and let a the nap kind of dry out then roll back in close in the corners, frames to avoid "roller tracks"....unsightly , don't want your lady's looking at sloppy work and little details like that go a long way. Backroll everything and you will have a nice smooth professional finish to be proud of. I have had my head in a paint bucket and a beer in my hand for 22 years. Wish someone had kicked my ass when I first said I wanted to paint for a living,lol..it aint all bright lights glamor and photo ops like yall may think :/

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks clampie, majortom9, and everyone else!
I think it's gonna be kilz premium and two coats of speedwall ftw. Just need to head over to ben moore for some price comparison.

FinestKind

I know I'm chiming in a bit late on this, and it seems you guys came to a good solution anyway, but I figure I'd throw this out there: I wouldn't recommend using oil anything over concrete... concrete is always "sweating" a little bit (I remember one mason telling me that "concrete is never completely cured"), and latex "breathes" (like GoreTex, kinda- this is one reason you can paint over damp surfaces with latex, but the surface must be completely dry for oil), while oil does not- oil is a great stain blocker, but like Clampie said, unless you've got some kind of out-of-control stains going on, latex is easier to deal with, far less toxic (for you and your girls), and just as durable (some say more durable)...

FK