What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

aquaponics - for the fish folk

Hephaestus

I need to :smokeit: more - I'm overthinking things :)

Group shot today:

Yes I've been taking fan leaves off like mad... Thankfully new cabinet hopefully will be ready for early-occupancy tomorrow (project reject in the micro grow section).

Plant 2 (was back right, now front left) went all nice and femme on me:

Plant 1 (was back left, now front right) No pistils - but that's definitely buds forming...

And they smell REALLY good... Got some big skunk genetics growing here... I better get some better carbon scrubbing going soon...

Hephaestus

No, peats - an oldschool hydro grow medium - yes eventually it will break down; but not before harvest (in the aquarium - get 6+ months from it - fully emersed). Only real issue we'll have is it does pack down over time.

Hephaestus

nope, manifold - split it out to the 4 as needed, once the roots are down into the DWC - don't really need to be dripping in anymore...

Hephaestus

Me too :joint:

Found a bit of a problem last night - might explain some of the slower growth... Water temps running around 66F... Aquarium heater is going in to bring that up into the 72 range.

Killed off a male, brought one of the others in to take it's place (the taller of the two left in the tray from earlier pics) plant that was back right - has spit out pistils :dance013:

Plants should be headed into the cabinet today - just got to sort out some plumbing and it's ready to go in a temporary fashion (probably have to hang that 2x55 light in the cabinet, just no $ for the new ballasts to finish it off)

Mt Toaker

We had turtles in my house last year as pets and I used the water from them. . . plants seemed to like more in veg. That was dirt though, I'm going to have to read up on this, I may or may not be obtaining a 40g and 10g aquarium. The 40g tank houses 2 piranha and a pleco, the 10g is for feederfish and he got a sicklid(sp).

Hephaestus

The key from what I understand is to have the system feeding both vegging and flowering - trying to figure out those details myself - got the 2 girls and two it's into their new home... Little home depot run needed to finish things up; then I can start making progress on the second cabinet to start veg tied into the same tank...

Hephaestus

More pics... Cabinet largely done now :)

Need more fish; going to see about getting a bigger tank and more fish down under her...

M

medi-useA

Though I have been silent....I have been following!

Most impressive. So tidy, neat and functional!:)
Betch one'O'those would also fit in one of LEDGirls doodahs!..NOT THEM!...the 126 W'ers!:)

muA

Hephaestus

You'll see something coming on LEDs sooner than later... Figured out some of the basic principles on driving / monitoring LEDs from the arduino... Almost where I want to be with it but that's a discussion for the other thread :biggrin: Got a few luxeon rebels I've been playing with, can ramp em up/down, adjust If and Vmax on the fly... Pop the leads off (simulating blown bulb) and the arduino automatically compensates to accomodate and save that string...

LEDGirl gets props from me :) But it only takes a quick look at the datasheets to understand - typical luxeons put out way more lumens than the LEDs she's using...

Rant off - on to :smokeit:

M

medi-useA

luxeons are a bit more expensive though aren't they?...th@ may be why LEDGirl's decided on wh@ she did.

She's put together a good package with her lamps...got to give her kudos for th@.
And she's put her $$where her mouth is.

regarding LED's,a question...answer @some other time, but...are you talking about building an LED array and controlling it with the Aduino, or just controlling an already built LED array?

muA

Hephaestus

Totally understand the way she's gone... not knocking her or anything - but yeah - it can be done better :) That's the problem with any commercial product...

Hephaestus

:whistling:

Planned perpetual... Front left is new... Yeah got some downward curls - OD'd on phosphates Sunday (too much mysis feedings) did a 5g water change yesterday, everyones looking much better now...

Bud on the big girl

Making it all possible... Well mostly - I am adding here and there...

:smokeit:

Hephaestus

Heh... Did some miscelaneous trimming tonight (some lower budsites, few fans, misc stuff). How could I toss that lovely trichy trim?

So I had a good chew...

I'm friggin wrecked... Brains going 90 miles a minute... sweating up a storm... and I really have no desire to move actually :D

And I'm walking pretty good too :)

Damn I love my homegrown! :smokeit:

Hephaestus

Post pictures a little later after lights come on... Having a minor issue...

Most mature plant, still curling down leaf tips? Flowering is progressing nicely it would seem but the curled tips are bothering me... Rest of the plants seem to be doing ok, see the odd curled tip here and there - but it's most prevalent on the big girl?

pH is being kept right around 6.0-6.2; Leaves are REALLY nice deep green. Roots aren't exactly pure white/clean but no slime/etc to indicate rot...

Unfortunately my aquarium test kits just aren't working for this media - NO3 is up over 400ppm (don't feel right cutting more than 1ml of tank water to 4ml of tap to get a result), PO4 is way up there too (full cube of mysis every day keeps the phosphate deficiency away; also dose 7ml of shultz cactus formula (2-7-7) every saturday to help keep those PO4/K levels up.

Hephaestus

Pics as promised... that's about 2' of root all tangled up :)

Put my first clone back in today...

Whole system - seem to have neglected the veg cabinet pics... Right is veg, left is flower... And inside the veg - you'll notice some non MJ plants :) Lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries (those green specs down front center). I've moved away from the Peat to Coco w/ wick as a growing media for now... Would really like to get to a point where we can dump the media alltogether...

Latest posts

Latest posts