What's new

drooping after watering. coco.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
evening y'all

sometimes my plants get kind of droopy after i water. who else sees this? when and why?

1st real grow. 1st coco grow.

im growing 3 plants in 3 gal pots. coco/perlite. 3:1.
clones potted nov. 1st. vegging about 2 weeks, topped once and are about 9" tall and showing some nice branching :)

been trying to find a happy medium with how to water these plants, some say you cant over water when using coco, but i feel like i am.

on average i have been feeding all 3 plants about 1 gal. total at each feed and each water. about every 3-5 days. maybe less.

i have been using the weight of the pot to gauge when to water and let the surface dry out a little to the point of at least looking dusty on top and nice and fluffy, not wet, a few inches down. at this point im scared that i will either starve them or drown them.....

tonight they look extra droopy, i dont know because its lights out in a few and i do notice them getting lazy near the end of the day. i think id be tired too :)

pics show before and after last feedinghttps://www.icmag.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

chronosync

Well-stoned member
sorry pics: P1040942.jpg

P1040965.jpg

Stardog

That happens all the time watering in coco, esp in veg. The plants will droop for about 30 min or so then spring back up. Not every plant will do it but many will. It's nothing to worry about. As to why it happens, I have no idea.:)

CoCoSativas

That happens all the time watering in coco, esp in veg. The plants will droop for about 30 min or so then spring back up. Not every plant will do it but many will. It's nothing to worry about. As to why it happens, I have no idea.:)

I've never had a plant droop ever in coco. Maybe you are or watering. All I grow in is coco now. Too many variety to list even my seedlings and young clones never droop

Maybe your water temp is off I use room temp water hand watered.

Is your starting water too hard or too soft? I don't have issues with that as my tap is a constant .4 ec (200 ppm) strait calcium... so I don't have water issues and I'm on top of pH.

Maybe you guys are overfeeding I only feed between 1.0 to 1.8 ec. Depends on variety.

How close are your lights? Maybe too intense? Some type of stress is certainly the problem

chronosync

Well-stoned member
once again, today they look great.

water temp, hardness, PH?
havent been paying much attention, but have been careful not to give any really cold or too warm water. our water comes from a well and doesnt show any signs of being overly hard, we dont have any staining or sudsing problems normally. i dont have a ph kit either so i could only guess how our water checks out.

Nutes?
5ml/gal CocoTek A+B(mild strength on bottle) with 5ml/gal CaliMagic every other watering. feed/water/feed. starting this week i will be feeding @ 7ml/gal keeping CaliMagic at 5ml/gal. working up to 15ml/gal. (full strength)

Lights?
400w MH always about 12"-16" away. right now the tallest shoot is 12" from the light. they seem comfortable enough with that.

any thoughts on run-off? is it needed? i let the pots run a tiny bit and this still keeps the pots really dense for days on end. i think i might back off on the water. people say salt will build up and cause problems, but i dont think plants want to be constantly drenched either. how drip systems work so good.... im a little confused about that one....

thanks for the help

al70

Veteran
give them 1ml per gallon of what ever you're feeding em, lotsa runoff, next day recovery

chronosync

Well-stoned member
@al70

@al70

@al70

i'm not too sure what you mean, do you think i am giving too much nutes? i would expect to see dark green and burnt tips..... next day recovery? even watering on the light side seems like too much water, pots are soaked for 2-4 days

this is what they look like today.

Attachments

• P1040972.jpg
    P1040972.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1040970.jpg
    P1040970.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 12

CoCoSativas

once again, today they look great.

water temp, hardness, PH?
havent been paying much attention, but have been careful not to give any really cold or too warm water. our water comes from a well and doesnt show any signs of being overly hard, we dont have any staining or sudsing problems normally. i dont have a ph kit either so i could only guess how our water checks out.

Nutes?
5ml/gal CocoTek A+B(mild strength on bottle) with 5ml/gal CaliMagic every other watering. feed/water/feed. starting this week i will be feeding @ 7ml/gal keeping CaliMagic at 5ml/gal. working up to 15ml/gal. (full strength)

Lights?
400w MH always about 12"-16" away. right now the tallest shoot is 12" from the light. they seem comfortable enough with that.

any thoughts on run-off? is it needed? i let the pots run a tiny bit and this still keeps the pots really dense for days on end. i think i might back off on the water. people say salt will build up and cause problems, but i dont think plants want to be constantly drenched either. how drip systems work so good.... im a little confused about that one....

thanks for the help

Don't bother doing any hydro method including coco unless you pH.

Keep running off. It's hydro not dirt stop thinking it's like dirt growing it's not.

Try 18 inches with the lights

It sounds to me like you have a few issues to sort out. Also you never will need that buck cocotek food 15 ml per gal is stupid...

CoCoSativas

@al70

i'm not too sure what you mean, do you think i am giving too much nutes? i would expect to see dark green and burnt tips..... next day recovery? even watering on the light side seems like too much water, pots are soaked for 2-4 days

this is what they look like today.

They are probably in containers that are too big, so if you over water small plants that's about the only time you can over water coco

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Also you never will need that buck cocotek food 15 ml per gal is stupid...

umm, ok why? i already have the cocotek A+B so why not use it?

so instead of upping the concentration, should i back off until i see deficiency? i realize that getting up to 15ml is probably too much, but i was told to increase the concentration slowly and if it burns then to back off. also why would GH put instructions to use a 15ml/gal concentration on their bottle if no one should ever use it?

one thing: i'm not questioning your experience or knowledge, i simply dont understand.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I digress..

ok thanks everyone, thanks Coco.

i raised the lights and they seem to like that. and watering them today i let them run %20 ++ and diddnt seem to mind that at all :) no droop, still reaching. Also have decided to stick with quarter strength nutes for now and will be getting some ph stuff asap. i finally read the GH CocoTek feeding schedule, it might as well say: how to kill your plants with CocoTek.

Thanks again, Cheers

CoCoSativas

so instead of upping the concentration, should i back off until i see deficiency? i realize that getting up to 15ml is probably too much, but i was told to increase the concentration slowly and if it burns then to back off. also why would GH put instructions to use a 15ml/gal concentration on their bottle if no one should ever use it?

one thing: i'm not questioning your experience or knowledge, i simply dont understand.

Those recommend dose is for tomatoes not dope...

I meant don't use that much cocotek ab it's strong shit. All of them tell you to use lots so they sell more.

It's coco. Just use the food in the accepted food strength, 1.0 to 1.8 ec so that's 500 to 900 ppm... though I float between 500 and 700 with amazing results.

I have used gh flora and canna coco ab, both are pretty strong. Flora you can follow directions sorta in coco... better to adapt what's best for you with any food. That said though you will kill it at 700 ppm, there's no need to go higher than that.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran

The nute co's, most of them, produce their nutes for food plants and flowers, etc. The directions on the bottles is for that. Bumping up to 15ml will probably burn your plants. And more than likely to the point before you figure out what's going on they could be dead.
Seriously, get a ph meter and a ppm/ec meter and learn to use them. If you're gonna do a hydro type grow don't skimp on the equipment. They are your life line between yourplant growing correctly or not. You can get them cheaper on line or at ebay or somewhere like that. You can spend as little or as much as you want on them.
To high or to low of a ph will cause deficiencies in the plants and cause lock out problems.
PPM/EC meter will tell you exactly how much nute you are feeding at any given time. To high will stunt and burn, to low will stunt and not grow quickly enough.
Now you have smaller plants in a large container. It will hold more water. Once the plants get larger the water/nute uptake will increase and it won't stay wet as long. Quite possible they are just getting too much moisture for the size they are. Other problems arise from to much moisture too. Best to start in small pots and re pot to larger pots.
I like to have run off. Some don't.
If you do get salt buildup simply flush with ph'd water or a flushing agent like Clearx or something else.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
thats messed oh well you think GH knows people are growing weed? assholes, i recently found out they are owned by monsanto or some shit. no bueno. IDK everything i have was given to me, so im using what i got for now. still pretty clueless, definitely learning stuff here tho, thanks for all the help :)

CocoSativa, resinryder. all good info thanks for being patient and helping me out.

-cheers

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
They know just won't market to us. I use Flora Nova made by gh and love it. Satan could be squeezing it out the asses of martyred souls for all I care. I've tried other brands and get better yields and flavors from it and a gallon jug goes a long way cheaper per run than the others.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
ppm

ppm

It's coco. Just use the food in the accepted food strength, 1.0 to 1.8 ec so that's 500 to 900 ppm... though I float between 500 and 700 with amazing results.

i just figured out my tap is 320ppm @ 7.0ph

ive been feeding them between 800-900ppm @ 6.0 ph (as close as i can get it with drops)
i noticed on another thread you mentioned you use tap water and that it was 200ppm. when you say you float around 700ppm does that include the solids already present in your water?