What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrient question

steve667

I am looking at using H&G nutes for my second grow - moving up from miracle grow on my first grow. I see on the chart in the attached link the amounts of each nute my plants will need for each week. It's not on the chart but I saw another place where those amounts were for a gallon of water. My question is can I just use a small amount of water to dissolve the nutes - I mean my 4 or 5 plants will not need a gallon of water the first week. I know that is probably a dumb question but if you don't know you don't know. Explain please.

8-week-feed-chart.jpg

Skunky McNugget

I am looking at using H&G nutes for my second grow - moving up from miracle grow on my first grow. I see on the chart in the attached link the amounts of each nute my plants will need for each week. It's not on the chart but I saw another place where those amounts were for a gallon of water. My question is can I just use a small amount of water to dissolve the nutes - I mean my 4 or 5 plants will not need a gallon of water the first week. I know that is probably a dumb question but if you don't know you don't know. Explain please.

View Image
What medium are you using, soil, hydro, coco? Yes that is amount per gallon and you can use small amount eg. gallon. Go on their website and look for nutrient calculator and you can input all your info and get detailed directions.:dance013:

steve667

What medium are you using, soil, hydro, coco? Yes that is amount per gallon and you can use small amount eg. gallon. Go on their website and look for nutrient calculator and you can input all your info and get detailed directions.:dance013:

Soil

I'm not sure I understand your answer. Are you saying I can use a small amount of water to mix nutes. I have looked all thru their site.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Do a Google search for the h+g nutrients chart that uses the metric litres. You need approx 3ml per litre of A+B to get the right ec, and pH values.

steve667

The directions also say to adjust the PH after mixing Part A and Part B but it doesn't say how to adjust the PH. I know this is a duh question for most of you pro's but believe me I have read a lot on this site and others and I'm still confused.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
I use h+g coco nutrients, if you follow their direction the pH values will be right. I use less than their suggested amounts so have to add pH down to get to ph 6.0
For pH down you can get at the grow store. It's nitric acid used in very small amounts.

steve667

I use h+g coco nutrients, if you follow their direction the pH values will be right. I use less than their suggested amounts so have to add pH down to get to ph 6.0

What do you use to lower the PH? I have a hot tub but it seems odd that I could use the same chem's to lower the Ph im my weed nutes.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Grow stores sell pH down, just a small 200ml bottle its Cheap stuff. It usually nitric acid.
The pool chemical will be to strong.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
i would mix up a gallon at a time weather you will use it all or not. you can always give the extra to some other needy plants, dump it on the lawn, or just get rid of it. this way you will get the correct ratio. if you feel comfortable measuring out smaller amounts accurately just do the math. for instance: .25ml per quart is the same ratio as 1ml per gallon. (google conversion rocks!)

the important thing here is that you aren't giving them an amount of food (say 100g protein, or like DRV for humans), you are giving them a balanced solution that will treat them nice.

i wouldnt use any hot tub chemicals on anything but a hot tub. even if your ph is a little off, thats better than what i can imagine happening doing that.

steve667

i would mix up a gallon at a time weather you will use it all or not. you can always give the extra to some other needy plants, dump it on the lawn, or just get rid of it. this way you will get the correct ratio. if you feel comfortable measuring out smaller amounts accurately just do the math. for instance: .25ml per quart is the same ratio as 1ml per gallon. (google conversion rocks!)

the important thing here is that you aren't giving them an amount of food (say 100g protein, or like DRV for humans), you are giving them a balanced solution that will treat them nice.

i wouldnt use any hot tub chemicals on anything but a hot tub. even if your ph is a little off, thats better than what i can imagine happening doing that.

I guess I misunderstood the chart that I posted from H&G site. I thought the amounts of nutes listed was the amount each plant needs for the given week. I'll be using other nutes in the list but to make this easier to explain let's assume I am only using Soil A and Soil B nutes. Example: week one each plant gets 2.5ml of "soil A & B" nutes. Week two each plant needs 8ml and so on. I didn't realize this amount of nute was specific to a gallon of water, but rather any amount of water I chose to mix it into, ie the amount of water/nute mixture that it would take to water the plants for one week. Say I had three plants, I would mix 2.5ml times 3 (number of plants) into say a quart of water, adjust the PH then add the other nutes, then equally distribute the quart of water over three plants. Then as the plants grow and need more water in a given week I could mix the nutes in a larger amount of water. Do I have this all messed up or am I thinking correct. I am sorry for be so hard to understand but I want to get this right.

Skunky McNugget

I guess I misunderstood the chart that I posted from H&G site. I thought the amounts of nutes listed was the amount each plant needs for the given week. I'll be using other nutes in the list but to make this easier to explain let's assume I am only using Soil A and Soil B nutes. Example: week one each plant gets 2.5ml of "soil A & B" nutes. Week two each plant needs 8ml and so on. I didn't realize this amount of nute was specific to a gallon of water, but rather any amount of water I chose to mix it into, ie the amount of water/nute mixture that it would take to water the plants for one week. Say I had three plants, I would mix 2.5ml times 3 (number of plants) into say a quart of water, adjust the PH then add the other nutes, then equally distribute the quart of water over three plants. Then as the plants grow and need more water in a given week I could mix the nutes in a larger amount of water. Do I have this all messed up or am I thinking correct. I am sorry for be so hard to understand but I want to get this right.
:wave:
try using nutrient calculator on H & G website. www.house-garden.us

chronosync

Well-stoned member
its only as complicated as you make it.

its only as complicated as you make it.

Then as the plants grow and need more water in a given week I could mix the nutes in a larger amount of water. Do I have this all messed up or am I thinking correct. I am sorry for be so hard to understand but I want to get this right.

how often and how much you feed is up to you. the principle is the same either way. (i like to keep concentrations low, feed/water/feed/etc., and work up the concentrations a bit as i go.) i end up losing lots of solution to run off anyways so i just mix batches right and use it as i need it.

think of it as a recipe.
when the bottle says: mix 5ml/gal water, that is the concentration it is designed to be given at. you can make smaller batches as needed but you must keep the ratio the same.

like making food. if it calls for three eggs and one cup milk, you can always double the recipe with six eggs and two cups of milk. or if you want to make less brownies ;) you could always use one egg and a third cup milk. right?

idunno. maybe i got the munchies, but thats how it makes sense to me.

good luck. :)

RockinRobot

The chart is for setting the base STRENGTH of the nutrient mix. Has nothing to do with how much or how often to feed or on how many plants. How much each plant will use in a given time period will depend on the strain, your lights and numerous other factors.

The chart is based on a per/gallon or per/liter measurement.

Better off starting light than heavy. I use different brand nutes but if I mix anywhere close to recommended I get nutrient burn. Most of my plants are very light feeders. Even in flower I only run about 620PPM@700 under my 600W with the strain I've been growing. When I did my frst grow I had bad nute burn because I followed the mfg recommended strength. I monitor my PPM and try to set it up that as my water level drops the PPM stays the same. If I get it right I can just top off the res with full strength solution. If ppm is dropping I know my PPM is to low( plant is using more nutes than water). If PPM rises in my res I know solution is too strong. (plant using more water than nutes) After several grows now I know with this strain what PPM to run.

Not sure how you track how strong to feed if you are in Soil but the same principals apply. How strong you mix your nutes can also change based on watering schedule. Frequent feedings at lower PPM can work the same as more spaced out feedings at higher ppm.

Bottom line label is just a guideline. You will need to learn to adjust accordingly as you try different strains. Good rule of thumb is: Feed light to start. If plants are not showing deficiencies no need to increase strength.