What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guys, where can I buy Barley Hulls?!!!!

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
EDIT*** Shit just realized its Rice hulls. Embarrasing I just fired a few emails to breweries and The Barley Association. UGHHHHHH. Suggestions for sources still needed!

Need it for my outdoor veggie garden. I want to use it as an aerating aggregate instead of perlite, because I may want to throw this potting mix into my garden when Im done with it or it doesn't work out, and I don't want perlite in my garden!

Im going to call a bunch of brewerys around but even then I don't think they would carry it, because its a side product thats leftover from removing the hull/husk. Which happens at some big farm in the middle of nowhere.

Im lost on this one. Help!

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yeah I spoke with one, they have only 1 LBS bags at $5. thats not gonna work. plus out of stock until may. Il try some more brewery places tomorrow. And call the garden centres and feed stores. Will report back here. Thanks annoyed.

troutman

Seed Whore
Start growing barley and never look back.

From the pics I saw, Barley plants makes the largest straw of all the grains. :)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
brewers just use a bit, ask the supply shops for the price for a 50# bale of rice hulls.

I had to drive a bit but found a guy who sold them to me for $35-40 maybe??
grab malted barley while you are there.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yeah I think this is one of those things thats just not economical. Im in canada so these niche things just aren't available.

Called 3 Brewing stores, and 3 Farm Feed places. No ones even heard of it. Only guy that has it sells it for $5 per lbs and wont have it till end of may.

Guess its the good old perlite then. Sorry guys I tried. Not gonna spend a leg and a dime to get it when it only lasts a season as is.

troutman

Seed Whore
Instead, plant cover crops like rye and clovers to build your soil up.

Takes time but the results are nice once you get going.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I wanted it for Aeration in my outdoor Garden Pots for my veggies.

Here is my mix.

32% Compost
32% PEAT
11% Garden Soil
11% Manure 50/50 Horse/Guinea
8% vermiculite
8% Clay pellets

those last 2 is what I decided to use for aeration. Had it sitting in the garage.

Mixed up 2 Cubic Feet. These were the ammendments. Basically half strength of my Cannabis mix which I add this per 1 Cubic Foot.
[] 1 Cup Bonemeal
[]1/2 Cup Dehydrated Molasses
[]1 Cup Kelp
[]1/2 Cup Alfalfa
[]1/2 Cup Blood meal
[]1/2 Cup Glacial Rock Dust
[]1/3 Cup Oyster Shell
[]1/3 Cup Dolomite Lime
[]1/3 Cup Gypsum
[]1/4 Cup Azomite
[]1/4 Cup Basalt

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Brew Store quoted me $70 CAD for 50 LBS.

I get a 50 pound bag of perlite for $17 that doesn't break down after one year, so yeah this product is not economical for me here in canada. Sad since its a waste by product!

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Thanks guys. Decided to stick with perlite. LOL

Il just mulch over the stuff that floats to the surface!!

jokes aside, at $75 CAD per 50 pound bale here, its really pricey, it doesn't aerate quiet as good perlite, and breaks down in a year, so its a bottomless pit. I get 110L of perlite for $18 CAD. 4 of those will last me a lifetime.

Good suggestions that others may find useful though. If I get a cheap source like MJ, I will def incorporate them in the future.