What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watering before lights out or lights on.

So does anyone think its better watering right before the plants go to sleep or when they wake up ?

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this finer detail ?

troutman

Seed Whore
Early in the day is better and gives the plants the entire day to use the water.

Watering before dark could increase the chance of mold type problems later on.

At least, that's what I think. :tiphat:

brown_thumb

From what little experience I have, I agree with troutman. However, I'd assure they're never dangerously dry even if that means a sip at bedtime... better to monitor and water earlier though. Again... just according to my limited experience.

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Always try & water early in the day, as others have said. Watering before bed (heavily, or repeatedly) = root rot

M

moose eater

Outdoors with open air? Watering at night is fine. Lots of open area for evaporation and such. though the exception to this might be places already seriously high in humidity.

But as others have said, and specific to indoor efforts, watering earlier in the light cycle provides less opportunity for molds/fungus.

That's what I have learned.

brown_thumb

Temperature, humidity, air movement, size/health of leaves, soil makeup, water content in plants before watering... several other variables to consider. I'm a newb who's made more than my share of mistakes. Overwatering and watering at the wrong times have been just a couple of errors which have cost me dearly. One thing I'm figuring out is, overall, most times 'less is more'. It seems to me that a small amount too little is less damaging than a bit too much and it's easier to correct if caught before permanent damage is done.

Again, I'm a newb with little experience. I've killed many of my little green friends but I'm slowly (very slowly) learning. Watering errors have been one of my worst mistakes, most especially... overwatering.

St. Phatty

The Grower is part of the Garden.

Watering at the time that is convenient for the Grower, leaves the Grower free to do all the other garden tasks.

So it's kind of a time management problem.

I like watering when I'm waking up & the coffee is still sinking in.

Maple_Flail

The Grower is part of the Garden.

Watering at the time that is convenient for the Grower, leaves the Grower free to do all the other garden tasks.

So it's kind of a time management problem.

I like watering when I'm waking up & the coffee is still sinking in.

I mostly agree with this, however there are other "factors" at play.

your schedule vs plant schedule, electricity costs time tables, load consistency duration (how much your power fluctuates based on how much is being used, this shouldn't be a concern but it is bloody shoddy house builders great greif(gulf) looking at you)

I for one have a "circadian rhythm" disorder, so if i forced my plants on to my schedule, I'd end up with a nanner jungle. 16 on / 11 off in veg and the reverse for bloom.. The only people i've seen do a rotating schedule like that ran into herm issues every test they ran.

Also my electricity is always cheaper at night, if you don't have a shift electricity cost based on grid load and its the same price all the time then that really doesn't matter.

If I want the best product out of my efforts I will have to compromise on time and what works for me. its not about my convenience. its about my result.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I always water about an hour before lights out. (since 2005)

The leaves droop but are always standing tall when the lights come back on.

I think there's transformation occurring.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
True about mold.

When lights go off, air can quickly become colder than the medium, meaning high evaporation rate, thus high humidity due also to the lower air saturation point (remember humidity is a relative value).
Easier for a spore to germinate having the time to penetrate plant's tissue without drying his little root meanwhile.

I would also add that I prefer to water early in the morning and keep medium dry at night mainly to help cellular respiration.
Plants breath almost exactly than we do. Since the first minute of its life till its very end, a plant will never stop breathing, exactly like most of the animals or other plants do.
Plants need oxygen all day long, they breath all day long, but for what I remember and studied years ago, cellular respiration rate is higher at night, being not influenced by photosynthesis. Obviously they have not lungs, they have roots to take oxygen.

Due to this I prefer to let them more oxygen at night and a good watering at morning, however I don't think it does the difference if a plant is healthy.

:wave: