What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help identify " Black Death " in Hawaii

W

Water-

Excellent question. HI don't seem to have had very low temps recently. Maybe

- the pots are on the ground instead of on benches?
- relatively cold ocean rain?
- It is winter/very early spring, even in Hawaii

many mornings in the low 50's this winter

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Not saying this is direct cause , but pests will weakin a plants immune system , And that can cause havoc and cause all types of issues we usually never see , I'm curious if the plants that are exhibiting this from having had some type pests isssues ?

issack

Veteran
It's so bad here right now. On and off for Month's straight of what you see in the pic. Monsoon rain. No sun. 90% humidity. My outdoor grow is toast. I'm 2 weeks out from harvest and already have bud rot.
Thank got for my indoor grow. I'm now completely not going to grow anymore outdoors here. I've been battling this shit for years and I'm done. Sticking to keeping plants indoors is the safest bet of you live on big island.
Again. You guys can try and come up with all the solutions you can, but nothing will get through in this weather. Mold. Blight. Fusarium, soptoria. It's a mess.! I would say this is Hawaii specific. Or anywhere where it is jungle wet rainforest conditions. Hawaii weather just isn't the same as it was anymore. In the last 12 months it's rained here more than I've seen in the 20 years I've been here.

picture.php

Cvh

Supermod
What strains are you growing outside?
Maybe best to only use your own countries landraces. These should be well adapted against whatever causes this.

And otherwile you need to select and start breeding plants that are not prone to the issue.

Maybe look also in some authentic landrace sativa from companies like ace seeds. You might want to ask dubi what the best pick would be for your country.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
It's so bad here right now. On and off for Month's straight of what you see in the pic. Monsoon rain. No sun. 90% humidity. My outdoor grow is toast. I'm 2 weeks out from harvest and already have bud rot.
Thank got for my indoor grow. I'm now completely not going to grow anymore outdoors here. I've been battling this shit for years and I'm done. Sticking to keeping plants indoors is the safest bet of you live on big island.
Again. You guys can try and come up with all the solutions you can, but nothing will get through in this weather. Mold. Blight. Fusarium, soptoria. It's a mess.! I would say this is Hawaii specific. Or anywhere where it is jungle wet rainforest conditions. Hawaii weather just isn't the same as it was anymore. In the last 12 months it's rained here more than I've seen in the 20 years I've been here.View Image
Wow.

I would say the only way to grow is to time flowering with the dry months. It is almost inevitable that the mature flowers attract moisture, because they evolved to mature under near desert conditions at the end of the dry season, before the monsoon rains come in once a year. Afterwards the new seedlings survive on a slowly retreating water table.

One way to avoid budrot is to grow them the way people used to, without blowing up the flowers with lots of phosphorus in early flowering. You get lower yield, the potency can be (much) higher (if combined with enough sulfur for resin production, like from epsom salt, or gypsum).

77s-weed.png
These plants dry much faster this way.

Last edited:

SurfdOut

Veteran
I got a greenhouse with a big commercial dehuey, that's the only way you can grow in Puna. There is no dry season. Lol You can try to grow some long flowering sativa over summer but good luck selling those flowers. Local strains that have been bred for this will still do ok, but not much can handle the months of rain we have been having.

AJs Sour D.

Attachments

• IMG_20180412_120622_111.jpg
    IMG_20180412_120622_111.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 25

issack

Veteran
I got a greenhouse with a big commercial dehuey, that's the only way you can grow in Puna. There is no dry season. Lol You can try to grow some long flowering sativa over summer but good luck selling those flowers. Local strains that have been bred for this will still do ok, but not much can handle the months of rain we have been having.

AJs Sour D.

Agreed 100%. Nothing we can do. There is no dry months anymore. It's so random now. Could be weeks of rain or weeks of sun. We never know.
Props on running the dehumidifier. I don't think many are doing that in puna.. good for you.!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Lol You can try to grow some long flowering sativa over summer but good luck selling those flowers. Local strains that have been bred for this will still do ok, but not much can handle the months of rain we have been having. AJs Sour D.
Maybe there is a market for the hash. Hash is what people used to eat before people started smoking flowers. And hash production is what most strains were grown for, from dry sift from the large cola indica plants, to hand collection from the long branched sativas.

W

Water-

I think there is always a market for hash.

The market is saturated where I live. Its barely worth growing to sell.

Im trying out the K1 Zamal to see if it can take the weather.

Reunion Island is about the same latitude as hawaii, so maybe there is a decent chance.

We just shattered the 24 rain record with the 30 inches.

Reunions islands record is 70 inches in 24 hours.

Last edited:

issack

Veteran
No one wants hash here. It's either dabs or flowers. I still make out ok when I have to pull a crop super early because of bud rot. I blast all of it and get a good chunk of wax.
The strains we try and keep here are fast flowering strains. Trying to grow a sativa here is ridiculous. Need to have strains that are 45 50 day wonders.

Sticky Sat

Agreed 100%. Nothing we can do. There is no dry months anymore. It's so random now. Could be weeks of rain or weeks of sun. We never know.

I'm at about the same latitude and longitude on the other side of the equator and the weather is exactly like you discribe. Last 5 years have been a total fungi and viruses festival... Even when plants are protected from the rain they clearly don't have enough lumens. Days or weeks with clouded or veiled sun that doesn't provide enough energy for photosyntesis... At least 2 harvests on 3 go straight for making cookies... Better that than nothing... :(

issack

Veteran
I'm at about the same latitude and longitude on the other side of the equator and the weather is exactly like you discribe. Last 5 years have been a total fungi and viruses festival... Even when plants are protected from the rain they clearly don't have enough lumens. Days or weeks with clouded or veiled sun that doesn't provide enough energy for photosyntesis... At least 2 harvests on 3 go straight for making cookies... Better that than nothing... :(

Dude.. same same.. thats my life growing outdoors here. Mold factory, no sun, high humidity in the high 80% it's insane. Now our volcano is erupting. Shit is going south.

Sticky Sat

Mold factory, no sun, high humidity in the high 80%

If all that is a result of global warming then it's no joke at all... Kind of makes me long for the days when cops and rip offs were the only concern... Now they just add themselves to the rain to make it worse...
Just hope that black death won't come our way as we have more than our share of viruses...

Had to adapt so now i grow in pots to be able to move at least some of the plants out of the endless rains...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Sticky Sat

Dude.. same same.. thats my life growing outdoors here. Mold factory, no sun, high humidity in the high 80% it's insane. Now our volcano is erupting. Shit is going south.

Mold factory is the perfest description, i also use it... Can't even dry and cure properly... If i was for GMO i'd like them to put a water lily gene in my sativas (yes, i' know i'm crazy but i deeply love these uplifting girls...) I'm off grid on solar power and sometimes have to put vegging clones in the only lighted room we can afford... Been growing 40 years and never thought i'd see something like this... In january we had 196 liter/square meter of rainfall in 3 hours and broke a hundred years record... Problem is it didn't exactly stopped after that... Thinking more and more about moving but i love our island... Don't know what to do, kind of lost these last months...

A few nugs of this month's harvest to somewhat lift the mood... :) Sorry for the blurriness, i'm hopeless as a photograph (but not only... ;))
attachment.php

Aroha to all of you brothers :)

Last edited:

Maple_Flail

Still doesn't seem like its been nailed down to what it is?

has anyone posting from the Island that has encountered this (purpling and weirdness, not the bud rot stuff) and manage to avoid it in successive seasons?

was there any detail analysis of the water and or soil/medium used? I have a hard time believing this is a pest, this looks toxic almost like the plant is filtering something BAD

Sticky Sat

I have a hard time believing this is a pest, this looks toxic almost like the plant is filtering something BAD

Imho, whatever it is, there's fat chances that it's related to the changes in the weather... Those are not likely to get better any time soon and seem to causes an acceleration of fungi and viruses mutations, both being widely spreaded around by the pests thriving all year long...

Even if black death's real name was nailed, i strongly doubt a chemical answer would be a long lasting solution...

Looking for the most resistant strains (there's always some) and applying the organic measures used to control TMV wouldn't hurt and could be a better bet in the long run...

peace