What's new

Chitin for prevention of Budrot

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
hey Ic i been looking into chitin for prevention of bud rot and found some great studys about it..i just googled "chitin for prevention of botrytis". i found a MsDs sheet on youtube about Bud factor X and it has 33% chitin in it..this stuff tricks the plant into thinking its under attack and induce SAR within the plant.
there is 3 other products that has chitin in it that i have found its Crustacean Meal,insect frass and CHITOSAN-Oligosaccharide-Water-Soluble-Powder..i was wanting to know if anyone used this powder before? im thinking about just getting the bud factor x 500ml since i cant use crustacean meal bc of the smell since im a guerilla grower..i know that the old product scorpin juice had Salyic Acid and chitin in it and from the reports alot had great success with it..ive got aloe vera poweder that i can just mix in with the bud factor x for a 2 hit combo of SAR inducing to prevent bud rot this year

vostok

Veteran
Please explain ....Exactly how crushed crab shell reduces any chance of your plant getting any molds or fungi..?

....total bullsh!t..?

but it will add some beneficialness to your diy soils

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Please explain ....Exactly how crushed crab shell reduces any chance of your plant getting any molds or fungi..?

....total bullsh!t..?

the microorganisms break down the crab shell that is high in chitin and in turn the plant thinks its under attack and goes into defense mode...here u go read all the studys u want on it...the chitin turns the plants SAR on and cause it to secerte enzymes that destory the fungi cell wall..click on the link and see all the studys..it reduces the chance of mold as high as 75% may not be 100% but i will take 75% chance..many studys there that prove its been successful in tests..i went thur sever case of bud rot last year and if can do anything that will decrease my chances by 15-20% then im down to do it and if its bullshit then i will find out this fall but if its not bullshit then for 30$ it could save me 1000s of $$$ on crops..there is alot of info on it so i think i will just get the bud factor x to use and maybe 2lbs of insect frass to add into the soil since it does increase bennies there as well

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...TF-8#q=chitin application to prevent botrytis

Low-molecular-weight water-soluble chitosan with a molecular weight of 5 kDa obtained after enzymatic hydrolysis of native crab chitosan was shown to display an elicitor activity by inducing the local and systemic resistance of Solanumi tuberosum potato and Lycopesicon esculentum tomato to Phytophthora infestans and nematodes, respectively. Chitosan induced the accumulation of phytoalexins in tissues of host plants, decreased the total content and changed the composition of free sterols producing adverse effects on infesters, activated chitinases, beta-glucanases, and lipoxygenases, and stimulated the generation of reactive oxygen species. The activation of protective mechanisms in plant tissues inhibited the growth of taxonomically different pathogens.

Chitosan (b-1,4-linked glucosamine oligomer) derived from crab shells conferred a high protection of
grapevine leaves against grey mould caused by Botrytis cinerea. Under controlled conditions, it was shown
to be an efficient elicitor of some defense reactions in grapevine leaves and to inhibit directly the in vitro
development of B. cinerea. Treatment of grapevine leaves by chitosan led to marked induction of lipoxygenase
(LOX), phenylalanine ammonia-lyase (PAL) and chitinase activities, three markers of plant defense
responses. Dose-response curves show that maximum defense reactions (PAL and chitinase activities) and
strong reduction of B. cinerea infection were achieved with 75–150 mg l)1 chitosan. However, greater
concentrations of chitosan did not protect grapevine leaves with the same efficiency, but inhibited mycelial
growth in vitro. Present results underlined the potency of chitosan in inducing some defense responses in
grapevine leaves which in turn might improve resistance to grey mould.

Our studies confirm other findings on direct
antifungal activity of chitosan in vitro (Allan and
Hadwiger, 1979; Aı¨t Barka et al., 2004) and show
that the level of mycelial growth inhibition is
highly correlated with chitosan concentration. It
has been reported that the polycationic nature of
chitosan is considered to be a key to its antifungal
properties (Hirano and Nagao, 1989). However, in
the present work, low concentrations of chitosan
on PDA medium only partly inhibited B. cinerea
growth while it was strongly inhibitory on leaves at
the same concentrations; therefore because it
activated various reactions in grapevine leaves, it is
likely that the chitosan-induced resistance toB. cinerea strongly results from the stimulation of
the plant’s natural defense metabolism. The fact
that grapevine leaves were washed before challenging
the leaves with B. cinerea is another factor
in favour of the induction of defense responses by
chitosan as part of the inhibition of pathogen
progression in host tissues.

Our data provide evidence that chitosan at low
concentrations is a potent inducer of defense
reactions in grapevine leaves and a direct inhibitor
of B. cinerea growth under in vitro conditions,
both mechanisms improving resistance to grey
mould. Current evidence therefore suggests this
natural substance appears to control grey mould
on leaves. Further experiments are in progress on
grape berries to provide evidence that chitosan is a
good alternative to synthetic fungicides in the
vineyard.
here is a link with a MSDS sheet on whats in the bud factor x and a video on how it works to help our plants https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKJHTNY-j38

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2866471/
2.3. Against fungi and oomycetes

Fungicidal activity of chitosan has been documented against various species of fungi and oomycetes [28,31]. The minimal growth-inhibiting concentrations varied between 10 and 5,000 ppm [32–36]. The maximum antifungal activity of chitosan is often observed around its pKa (pH 6.0).

Rabea et al. [37], reported on the fungicidal activity of 24 new derivatives of chitosan (i.e., N-alkyl, N-benzylchitosans) and showed, using a radial hyphal growth bioassay of B. cinerea and P. grisea, that all derivatives have a higher fungicidal action than the native chitosan. N-dodecylchitosan, N-(p-isopropylbenzyl)chitosan and N-(2,6-dichlorobenzyl)chitosan were the most active against B. cinerea, with EC50 values of 0.57, 0.57 and 0.52 g.L−1, respectively. Against P. grisea, N-(m-nitrobenzyl)chitosan was the most active, with 77% inhibition at 5 g.L−1. O-(decanoyl)chitosan at mol ratio of 1:2 (chitosan to decanoic acid) was the most active compound against B. cinerea (EC50 = 1.02 g.L−1) and O-(hexanoyl)chitosan displayed the highest activity against P. grisea (EC50 = 1.11 g.L−1). Some of the derivatives also repressed spore formation at rather high concentrations (1.0, 2.0 and 5.0 g.L−1) [38]. Recently, Palma-Guerrero et al. [39] demonstrated that chitosan is able to permeabilize the plasma membrane of Neurospora crassa and kills the cells in an energy-dependent manner.

In general, chitosan, applied at a rate of 1 mg/mL, is able to reduce the in vitro growth of a number of fungi and oomycetes except Zygomycetes, which have chitosan as a component of their cell walls [40]. Another category of fungi that seems to be resilient to the antifungal effect of chitosan, the nemato-/entomo-pathogenic fungi that possess extracellular chitosanolytic activity
In an era of high demand for blemish-free food and high cost inputs, sustainable agriculture has only a slim margin to make profits while guaranteeing food supply to a growing population. The recourse to naturally-occurring products with interesting antimicrobial and eliciting properties such as chitin and chitosan and their derivatives has been getting more attention in recent years. These products can be used in a numbers of ways to reduce disease levels and prevent the development and spread of pathogen, thus preserving yield and quality. Interesting theoretical and applied findings were gathered in recent years and more are needed to examine the mechanisms governing the mode of action of these compounds pathosystem by pathosystem, when applied at large scales. Examination of better ways to incorporate these natural products into Integrated Pest Management strategies remains to be pursued in many major crops (i.e., potatoes, canola) especially against soilborne diseases. Progresses in recent years allowed also for some understanding of the interactions between the chitosan effect and the octadecanoic pathway as well as the identification of the so-called chitin elicitor-binding proteins. These will lead to design specific chitin/chitosan applications/formulations suitable for various stages of plant growth and development in order to achieve a better control of a specific disease or a complex of co-habitant diseases (i.e., potato early dying complex). From a co-evolutionary point of view, the extensive genomic and proteomic data gathered in many pathosystems, highlighting the secretion of fungal effectors able to inhibit plant cysteine proteases and protect chitin and cell wall integrity against plant chitinases, suggest that it will be of interest to examine how application of chitin and chitosan derivatives could interfere with the recognition of these effectors by their cognate counterparts.

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

....total bullsh!t..?

G`day V

Google Chitosan and SAR to educate yourself before making such gross statements ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

vostok

Veteran
Thank you .. 2.3. Against fungi and oomycetes

Fungicidal activity of chitosan has been documented against various species of fungi and oomycetes [28,31]. The minimal growth-inhibiting concentrations varied between 10 and 5,000 ppm [32–36]. The maximum antifungal activity of chitosan is often observed around its pKa (pH 6.0).

Rabea et al. [37], reported on the fungicidal activity of 24 new derivatives of chitosan (i.e., N-alkyl, N-benzylchitosans) and showed, using a radial hyphal growth bioassay of B. cinerea and P. grisea, that all derivatives have a higher fungicidal action than the native chitosan. N-dodecylchitosan, N-(p-isopropylbenzyl)chitosan and N-(2,6-dichlorobenzyl)chitosan were the most active against B. cinerea, with EC50 values of 0.57, 0.57 and 0.52 g.L−1, respectively. Against P. grisea, N-(m-nitrobenzyl)chitosan was the most active, with 77% inhibition at 5 g.L−1. O-(decanoyl)chitosan at mol ratio of 1:2 (chitosan to decanoic acid) was the most active compound against B. cinerea (EC50 = 1.02 g.L−1) and O-(hexanoyl)chitosan displayed the highest activity against P. grisea (EC50 = 1.11 g.L−1). Some of the derivatives also repressed spore formation at rather high concentrations (1.0, 2.0 and 5.0 g.L−1) [38]. Recently, Palma-Guerrero et al. [39] demonstrated that chitosan is able to permeabilize the plasma membrane of Neurospora crassa and kills the cells in an energy-dependent manner.

In general, chitosan, applied at a rate of 1 mg/mL, is able to reduce the in vitro growth of a number of fungi and oomycetes except Zygomycetes, which have chitosan as a component of their cell walls [40]. Another category of fungi that seems to be resilient to the antifungal effect of chitosan, the nemato-/entomo-pathogenic fungi that possess extracellular chitosanolytic activity [41].

39. Palma-Guerrero J, Huang IC, Jansson HB, Salinas J, Lopez-Llorca LV, Read ND. Chitosan permeabilizes the plasma membrane and kills cells of Neurospora crassa in an energy dependent manner. Fungal Gen Biol. 2009;46:585–594. [PubMed]
40. Allan C, Hadwiger LA. The fungicidal effect of chitosan on fungi of varying cell wall composition. Exp Mycol. 1979;3:285–287.
41. Palma-Guerrero J, Jansson HB, Salinas J, Lopez-Llorca LV. Effect of chitosan on hyphal growth and spore germination of plant pathogenic and biocontrol fungi. J Appl Microbiol. 2008;104:541–553

Chitan vs baking soda...? about he same! (surface disruption)

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day V

Now google SAR in plants and you`ll get the full picture .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Thank you .. 2.3. Against fungi and oomycetes

In general, chitosan, applied at a rate of 1 mg/mL, is able to reduce the in vitro growth of a number of fungi and oomycetes except Zygomycetes, which have chitosan as a component of their cell walls [40]. Another category of fungi that seems to be resilient to the antifungal effect of chitosan, the nemato-/entomo-pathogenic fungi that possess extracellular chitosanolytic activity [41].

39. Palma-Guerrero J, Huang IC, Jansson HB, Salinas J, Lopez-Llorca LV, Read ND. Chitosan permeabilizes the plasma membrane and kills cells of Neurospora crassa in an energy dependent manner. Fungal Gen Biol. 2009;46:585–594. [PubMed]
40. Allan C, Hadwiger LA. The fungicidal effect of chitosan on fungi of varying cell wall composition. Exp Mycol. 1979;3:285–287.
41. Palma-Guerrero J, Jansson HB, Salinas J, Lopez-Llorca LV. Effect of chitosan on hyphal growth and spore germination of plant pathogenic and biocontrol fungi. J Appl Microbiol. 2008;104:541–553

Chitan vs baking soda...? about he same! (surface disruption)
no its not the same here is a good thread i have found on here to help u understand what it does and how benefical it is in prevention of bud rot and activating SAR,ISR
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=251272

G`day V

Google Chitosan and SAR to educate yourself before making such gross statements ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .
hey elmer would u advise to get the bud factor x or pure oligo chitosan? im also gonna add some aloe vera in each time i use to the stuff to get a double SAR induce..last year i had a complete nitemare of year due to bud rot and its something im gonna go out my way to try and avoid this year with IPM,silica,SAR inducers and outdoor strains..i just never want to experience bud rot on the scale i did last year..i been studying 10-12hrs a day everday on how to avoid it..i was gonna use insect frass since i cant use crustaceaion meal bc of coons,bears and fox in my area so i was looking at scorpin juice last nite on a old thread and someone said the bud factor x was bascially same as the Scorpin juice..its pricey as hell but its well worth it to me if i can help to prevent bud rot..i plan on useing it as a folair after week 3-4 of flower..what product do u use?

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day K

Speak to Storm Shadow .
He`s the guy I learnt about it from . In the Duds thread .

Not used it myself . But I did read a few documents re .

You know Aspirin or Willow bark will also turn on a SAR reaction too ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
G`day K

Speak to Storm Shadow .
He`s the guy I learnt about it from . In the Duds thread .

Not used it myself . But I did read a few documents re .

You know Aspirin or Willow bark will also turn on a SAR reaction too ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .
yes bro im gonna use aloe vera instead though just for the simple fact that im gonna use it as a sufracant with my neem and karanja oil..i will also mix up some bud factor x,aloe,and b1 thiamine around week 3-5 on my 8 week strains..i read alot of good stuff just from googleing "aspirin water cannabis"..im reading a very good thread right now on chitosan here..i been speaking to shaggyballs about it and about to PM only ornamental as well

waveguide

Veteran
bro when you talk chitin sources, in addition to shells, you're talking > bat guano.

one day, all of these studies are going to pull back and analyse on a really big scope, and discern, "the best way to grow healthy plants is to remove industry". amazing :p

Nunsacred

Insect jaws (and body shell) are made of chitin. That's the point.
Physical injury and chitin sets off the plant defence response.

ie. you'd need to scratch or stab the shoots/new growth with something like a stag beetle's mandible or wing case.
But after a bit of use it'll get gummed up with plant resins so a nail file would be a good idea to keep the chitin surface exposed between uses.

Not at all sure how much damage is enough, or too much, though.
Never actually done it - my plants never needed help getting attacked by insects ;)

It will also slow growth and affect yield.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
willow bark tea/aspirin is what I've been using of late and very cautious too
i was gonna use aspirin after i did some reading on it but choose the Aloe for the simple fact that i will need it to help my neem oil and karanja oil stick to the leaves of the plants..
bro when you talk chitin sources, in addition to shells, you're talking > bat guano.

one day, all of these studies are going to pull back and analyse on a really big scope, and discern, "the best way to grow healthy plants is to remove industry". amazing :p

hell ya man i never knew that bat guano had chitosan in it..thats awesome info right there..is there a certain kind of bat guano that has more chitosan % in it then others?
i linked a little study of bat guano that others may find interesting to read
http://www.frontiersinzoology.com/content/11/1/59

gunnaknow

According to the study below, bats can digest chitin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3760910/

It's therefore somewhat surprising that their guano is rich in chitin. Perhaps there is sometimes simply too much chitin to digest before it reaches the large intestine:

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/a...uano-as-new-attractive-chitin-chitosan-source

You can also induce systemic resistance by amending the soil with chitinous material, which might prove helpful if you wish to discontinue foliar applications during late flowering:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6742039#post6742039

gunna

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
According to the study below, bats can digest chitin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3760910/

It's therefore somewhat surprising that their guano is rich in chitin. Perhaps there is sometimes simply too much chitin to digest before it reaches the large intestine:

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/a...uano-as-new-attractive-chitin-chitosan-source

You can also induce systemic resistance by amending the soil with chitinous material, which might prove helpful if you wish to discontinue foliar applications during late flowering:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6742039#post6742039

gunna

thanks for the info gunna..i agree i never knew that bat guano had chitosan in it either

TheArchitect

Veteran
Salycilic acid triggers SAR

Chitosan triggers ISR

There is a difference.

The lower molecular weight chitosan oligosaccarides are more efficacious.

gunnaknow

Salycilic acid triggers SAR

Chitosan triggers ISR

There is a difference.

It's a little more complicated than that, as chitosan can trigger both SAR and ISR:

Recognition of microbe-associated molecular patterns (MAMPs), by pattern recognition receptors (PRRs), represents the major trait of innate immunity common to plants and animals. In plant immunity, MAMPs, more commonly known as general elicitors, include lipopolysaccharides (LPS), peptidoglycans, flagellin and fungal cell wall fragments (chitin/chitosan oligomers), phospholipids, oxylipins, fatty acids, sterols, proteins, double stranded RNA and methylated DNA, able to elicit a host defence response by binding to specific PRRs. In this view, chitosan, a deacetylated chitin derivative, behaves like a general elicitor, inducing a non-host resistance, by a PRR-mediated recognition, and priming a systemic acquired immunity (or systemic acquired resistance, SAR).1 The defence responses elicited by chitosan include: raising of cytosolic Ca2+, activation of MAP-kinases, callose apposition, oxidative burst, hypersensitive response (HR), synthesis of abscissic acid (ABA), jasmonate, phytoalexins and pathogenesis related proteins (PR).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2634077/

Chitosan can also indirectly trigger ISR when used as a soil amendment by stimulating the activity of beneficial microorganisms in the soil, some of which are able to induce systemic resistance in plants:

Chitosan utilized as a soil amendment was shown to control Fusarium wilts in many plant species [20]. Applied at an optimal concentration, this biomaterial is able to induce a delay in disease development, leading to a reduced plant wilting [58]. Similar results were reported in forest nurseries suffering from F. acuminatum and Cylindrocladium floridanum infections. These infections were dramatically reduced upon the use of chitosan as soil amendment [59]. Aspergillus flavus was also completely inhibited in field-grown corn and peanut after soil treatment with chitosan [45]. Part of the effect observed by chitosan on the reduction of soilborne pathogens comes from the fact that it enhances plant defense responses. The other part is linked to the fact that this biopolymer is composed of polysaccharides that stimulate the activity of beneficial microorganisms in the soil such as Bacillus, fluorescent Pseudomonas, actinomycetes, mycorrhiza and rhizobacteria [60,61]. This alters the microbial equilibrium in the rhizosphere disadvantaging plant pathogens. Beneficial organisms, on the other hand, are able to outcompete them through mechanisms such as parasitism, antibiosis, and induced resistance [62–65].

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2866471/

gunna

The English Cut

Well I can't really afford to buy any products with chitin included, in fact I'm trying to stay away from products altogether. However I do include Fox, Badger and Pine Marten faeces as well as Barn Owl castings in my compost, all of which are full of insect shells. I suppose that must help. I've also noticed that the leaf mould I collect is full of dead beetle wing cases etc. I wonder just how broken.down it'd need to be to be any use to the plants or microorganisms.

I like the idea of attacking the roots or stem with a stag beetle jaw. I might have to give that a try, I think i have one lying around somewhere!