Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Greenpoint Seeds
Iron Horse Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2019, 04:22 PM #1
Flowerman
X 4 a Kewl Change

Flowerman has disabled reputation
Iron Horse

Started 4 seeds out of 11. Not a good start, 2 came out of the medium and which the shell cut the head off, 1 is looking pretty sickly, laying on her side, still green but not growing, and the other hasn't popped her head out yet. Will give it a few more days, and then will probably start round 2 and go from there.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:25 PM #2
Flowerman
X 4 a Kewl Change

The 4th seed also came out of the medium, head cut off. I've had this happen periodically a few times over the years, just rapid growth plus add the fact that the shell is a tad hard to get off and they pop, but 3 straight, and 1 that died from it after it got the shell off as it was pinched. Started 5 more, Hopefully the results will be better

Old 05-13-2019, 03:23 PM #3
Flowerman
X 4 a Kewl Change

4 came up and slowly died, I'm not chalking this one up to bad seeds though or blaming GPS, I'm starting to think there is some sort of pathogen/microscopic critter in the medium, otherwise none of them would of broke the surface to begin with, and it was a brand new bag of medium that I started with, which could have been contaminated and one I never used before. Will try some other seeds I know that should go through to test this out, I'm really curious though, but was looking forward to trying this, I still have 2 seeds left of it, but will wait on them.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:31 AM #4
GatorGumbo

GatorGumbo has disabled reputation
I think you're on the right track with sorting it out. I've had the same exact problem before and I'm pretty sure it was because my soil had developed a microbial system that was predatory to my seeds and seedlings. Chucked all the soil and started with fresh, sterilized it, the pots, and the germination box. After that the problem never returned.
GatorGumbo is offline Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 04:59 AM #5
ExoticsRus

ExoticsRus has a spectacular aura aboutExoticsRus has a spectacular aura aboutExoticsRus has a spectacular aura aboutExoticsRus has a spectacular aura about
I also had a horrible germ rate from this specific strain/version ( I got 2/11? To come out and I was going to buy two of them and I was so excited about it) and inless they are old seed (I normally get 90-100% germ rate :()

Pissed me off for 89 bucks....

Last edited by ExoticsRus; 05-15-2019 at 06:56 PM..
ExoticsRus is offline Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 PM #6
Trucksta

Trucksta has a spectacular aura aboutTrucksta has a spectacular aura aboutTrucksta has a spectacular aura aboutTrucksta has a spectacular aura aboutTrucksta has a spectacular aura about
I never heard of this strain I’m subbed good luck with the grow bro
Trucksta is offline Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM #7
GatorGumbo

GatorGumbo has disabled reputation
Some strains don't germinate well at all, but they usually simply don't sprout after germination. If they got their cotyledons out and then died I would say it's probably the soil/microbes/bacteria, but I certainly could be wrong.
GatorGumbo is offline Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 AM #8
Flowerman
X 4 a Kewl Change

I got rid of the medium, cleansed with peroxide, still debating on what I want to pop next lol, but I got a few different packs from GPS so I might try one of them now.
ExoticsRus sorry to hear that, I might have been upset even more if I paid full price for them, but I got them all on the reverse auction.
GatorGumbo, I'm almost for sure that's what it is too, but went ahead and cleaned things out anyway. I usually have a pretty good germ ratio, even on seeds I've had for almost 20 years, I kid you not, I freezer pack them away.
Trucksta, Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.