Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Commerical Yeilds Light-Dep?

Thread Title Search
Commerical Yeilds Light-Dep? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2018, 06:27 PM #1
flyontoast

flyontoast is on a distinguished road
Commerical Yeilds Light-Dep?

I'm in Coastal BC and looking to get a micro-cultivator license. I'd be allowed 200 sq.meters of canopy, which is about 2,100 sq.ft (including vertical space/shelving. So no advantage to staking). This is pretty limited when you take into consideration the dropping prices and the required nursery space for cloning and veg.

I'm trying to crunch investment and return numbers. Was hoping to get 2-3 harvests a year in light-dep. I can for sure get 3 harvests if I invest +$50,000 in a heated, automated greenhouses, or 2 harvests in about $6,000 of hoop-houses. I'd get way better pest and mold control in a screened, heated, and vented GH, so I am really leaning that way if I can get my yield projections dialed-in.

I'm thinking I'd need to veg plants to at least 1 gallon pots and then transplant into light-dep, similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6p8QwncjE

Kind of worried that I wouldn't be able to get the plants large enough before transplant since my veg space would be limited to less than 100-200 sq.ft. And if I did dedicate more space to veg, I'd lose flower space, so I have to find that magic ratio.

Anybody out there doing light-dep and willing to share their rough yield numbers? I've read people claiming 0.03-0.06lbs/sq.ft (150-300g/sq.m), but I have no clue how big their plants were when they flipped them to flower. What planting density was most effective?
flyontoast is offline Quote

Old 11-13-2018, 05:51 AM #2
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
Those numbers for greenhouse pricing are way off. I bend my own steel greenhouses, and i know i could do a 2000sqft greeny for under 6kus with full automated black out, motorized roll up side vents on thermostat, and heat. If u got a kit i bet it could be under 10.
You can pull .05 lb a sq ft here in norcal, but that's totally dialed. Most people get less depending on strain, sun and how dialed.
You need to dedicate a little under 1/3 of your flower space for veg. For instance, i have a 20x60 (1200 sqft). It has 96 20 gallon pots. I use 300-400 sq ft of veg to veg for that in 3-5 gallon pots. I let them grow into the trellis for about 2 ish weeks in the flower greenhouse before i flip.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM #3
flyontoast

flyontoast is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your yield numbers and pot sizes! How many harvests are you able to pull in your area?

The $50,000 isn't so far off, keep in mind that's $CAD. I already have a professional Harnois greenhouse for tomatoes, so if I went the professional route, a 30x100ft with 15ft gothic peak isn't going to be under $15,000 delivered to my door, just for the steel and plastic. Cement footings, equipment rental, potentially having to grade the land, drop new electric service, etc. No way it's going to come out under $35,000 if I wanted to do an automated system. I wouldn't be able to do more than 2 harvests if I didn't go for such a large greenhouse because, in my micro-climate, I'd need to be heating it in April and mid-October, so spending +$40,000 to get a 3rd mold-free harvest is totally worth the investment.

Although I am reading your DIY greenhouse thread now and it's very helpful. I'm going to go ask a question there
flyontoast is offline Quote

Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM #4
blastfrompast

blastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to allblastfrompast is a name known to all
I guess the better question....have you grown mj at scale before outdoors?

Im doing 600ft total 1/2 half greenhouse, half straight light dep on skids pulled into outbuildings 48 plants total..

24 plants will be put out at 4fters , 24 will be 1ft bushes. 1fters going in greenhouse..

For me this is just a hobby....I've had some great years and some shit ones.......

only advise is
Dont let your plants get tooo big in the greenhouse...better a smaller crop that is clean than dumping a HUGE crop in the compost pile.....
blastfrompast is offline Quote

Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 AM #5
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
Wow.. Moving them on skids.. Back in the day, when light depp was not wide spread, we used to do that super small scale. A few plants on dollies in the driveway that we pulled into the garage. What a pain, but back then it was really just an experiment to see off light dep could work.

I agree. One off the biggest first time mistake i's flipping them to late and letting em get to big. The other is improper support. It's never too early to trellis. Don't pre veg too long. Put them in small and let them grow into the trellis
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM #6
Mountain Kine

Mountain Kine has a spectacular aura aboutMountain Kine has a spectacular aura aboutMountain Kine has a spectacular aura aboutMountain Kine has a spectacular aura about
You can expect 500 lbs per 10000 sq ft when doing well.
Mountain Kine is offline Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 PM #7
petert

petert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyontoast View Post
I'm in Coastal BC and looking to get a micro-cultivator license. I'd be allowed 200 sq.meters of canopy, which is about 2,100 sq.ft (including vertical space/shelving. So no advantage to staking). This is pretty limited when you take into consideration the dropping prices and the required nursery space for cloning and veg.

I'm trying to crunch investment and return numbers. Was hoping to get 2-3 harvests a year in light-dep. I can for sure get 3 harvests if I invest +$50,000 in a heated, automated greenhouses, or 2 harvests in about $6,000 of hoop-houses. I'd get way better pest and mold control in a screened, heated, and vented GH, so I am really leaning that way if I can get my yield projections dialed-in.

I'm thinking I'd need to veg plants to at least 1 gallon pots and then transplant into light-dep, similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6p8QwncjE

Kind of worried that I wouldn't be able to get the plants large enough before transplant since my veg space would be limited to less than 100-200 sq.ft. And if I did dedicate more space to veg, I'd lose flower space, so I have to find that magic ratio.

Anybody out there doing light-dep and willing to share their rough yield numbers? I've read people claiming 0.03-0.06lbs/sq.ft (150-300g/sq.m), but I have no clue how big their plants were when they flipped them to flower. What planting density was most effective?
I’m in north central Oregon. Last year I got three great harvests.
Started the first early April and harvested the third mid October!
I tried for s fourth. Bought heaters already had Gavitas. Cost WAY too much !!
petert is offline Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 10:03 PM #8
DIYer

DIYer will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Kine View Post
You can expect 500 lbs per 10000 sq ft when doing well.
That's 20 pounds per sq ft. You're high. Really fucking high.
DIYer is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 PM #9
Oliver Pantsoff

Oliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to beholdOliver Pantsoff is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
That's 20 pounds per sq ft. You're high. Really fucking high.

OP
Oliver Pantsoff is online now Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 PM #10
DIYer

DIYer will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
You can pull .05 lb a sq ft here in norcal, but that's totally dialed. Most people get less depending on strain, sun and how dialed.
That all? Seems low for light dep, from the numbers I've read I thought more like .1 to .15 per sq ft.

Reason I'm curious..
I'm in 11x70 777 sq ft light dep growing in what I call aeroponic NFT trenches. Buried res to stay cool.. and I pull .05 per sq ft with only 40 stalks, and I do it five times a year, easily pulling more than .5 per stalk.

I veg to roughly 14" tall then transplant and flip to flower into a full time rotational flower house, no artificial lighting needed here. Southwest dry year-round great sun no dehumidification cost helps a lot, but after a few years of dialing I'm now south of $100 a pound production cost and most think it's top shelf indoor, but I digress.

Anytime I see near 200 plants in soil in light dep I cringe at how inefficient soil is and I've been guessing 3-400 dollars per pound was spent growing it?
I was under the impression the only thing large scale had on me was total grams per square foot, but your figures say I'm right there. I thought there was no way industry would ever adopt the way I grow because of this.

I'm ranting now, but imo most in the industry are growing highly inefficiently, and their doing it in the wrong geographical locations worsening cost per gram numbers. Thank you 80 years of illegality. Once borders are legality able to be crossed I don't see how anyone outside the South West or Latin America competes.

✌️

Last edited by DIYer; 05-16-2019 at 01:15 AM..
DIYer is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.