Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > skip drying - str8 to water cure?

Thread Title Search
skip drying - str8 to water cure? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 AM #1
warcraft74

warcraft74 will become famous soon enough
skip drying - str8 to water cure?

is it possible to skip the drying step and go straight to water curing after harvest, or is drying still necessary? thanks.
warcraft74 is offline Quote

Old 10-08-2014, 06:46 AM #2
RetroGrow

RetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant future
You could do it, but you will lose taste/smell in the process. If you just want to check some buds quickly, I could see it. It works well after drying. never tried it with no drying. Or you could do a "quick dry". There is a thread about it somewhere here. Then go to the water cure. Water cured bud is clean for sure, but it does not have the flavor/taste most people enjoy. Serves it's purpose though.
RetroGrow is offline Quote

Old 10-08-2014, 01:43 PM #3
JointOperation
Banned

JointOperation is on a distinguished road
any water cure u lose smell and taste. it aint worth it. why take the time to grow.. to make garbage lol.. better off buying off the streets. lol.
JointOperation is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:31 PM #4
stoned-trout
if it smells like fish

stoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivor
watercuring is a last resort IMHO or maybe if your making butter... how do you feel about tea? water cure ruins smoking weed as far as I am concerned...
SML..iff mi spellin and centances suk and yoo don't lyke itt too fukkin bad;/?.....I once was asked what I would say upon getting to the gates of heaven??? m/r is a visitors badge an option??? I would like a few drinks at the bar... YEEHAW....vote for real legalization not sum bullshit...free the weed or kiss my ass...you wont be getting my tax money..
stoned-trout is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 AM #5
Cannabis
Banned

Cannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud ofCannabis has much to be proud of
I'm pretty sure you don't have to dry it first, there used to be long threads where people tried doing it different ways, and I'm pretty sure they water-cure raw weed the same way.

If it isn't very potent and needs to be stiffened up some, or if it's important that nobody be able to smell it, that's what people do. I haven't ever water-cured any myself.
Cannabis is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2014, 05:09 AM #6
RetroGrow

RetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant futureRetroGrow has a brilliant future
Water curing works. No doubt about it. You will lose taste & smell, but not potency. You will also get a very clean smoke, as all impurities are forced out of the bud. Try it on a small amount, and see how you like it.
If you are not selling it, and don't care about loss of taste/smell, it does what it's supposed to do.
RetroGrow is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2014, 07:20 AM #7
tropicannayeah

I've only done it a few times but I've noticed that branches of fresh bud that have been soaked in room temperature water, gently swung in arcs, then hung to dry will dry faster than bud from the same plant that wasn't soaked in water.

The branches can be gently swirled in the water but don't thrash them around or you will knock off or smudge resin heads....use lots of clean water, don't squash lots of branches together or you will also lose resin heads.

Every grower should at least try soaking a small bud or two or an hour or a day or two or a week just to check out what happens. but I reckon that soaking branches in water is best used when you have mites or other insects that have infested plants during flowering..or there's mud or lots of dust on the bud, then soaking the branches in clean water will help remove some of the insects. With mite infested bud, I'd suggest giving the branches a close manicure first as most of the mites will be on the leaves, not the buds, then soak and you will notice mites, egg casing and other associated crap from mites floating in the water..repeat a few times and the bud will have a lot less mites on it.

and there's soaking and there's really long soaking...I've only soaked bud a few times years ago for less than an hour so the resulting dried bud is a lot more like normally dried bud than bud that has been soaked for a week or more, I've also soaked bud for an hour or two for a few days in a row too and that will end up being browner etc....but if you soak the bud each day, all day (changing the water each day) for 7 days (as some "water cure" threads have suggested) then the end (dried) result will be dirt brown in color, lighter in weight, shrunken in size and brittle bud that has little to no taste. If you only soak the bud for an hour or less, then it will dry to be much less brittle, less dirt brown looking, heavier, less shrunken etc.

You can also soak bud that tastes shitty, if the cause of the shitty taste is water soluble, then the re-dried bud will taste better (though if you come across bud that tastes terrible, doesn't burn properly or smells odd, then I'd suggest gently dry sifting it over screens to reap the trichomes (resin heads) rather than trying to make the bud smoke-able with H2O. (but obviously you can't dry sift mite infested bud as the hash will be full of mites and mite crap)

Last edited by tropicannayeah; 10-09-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 PM #8
minds_I
The Emperor is not only naked but batshit crazy.

minds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant future
Hello all,

I have water cured straight from chop and trim right into the water. Changed water every day(and the shit stinks too) for 7 days. Dried them by hanging.

No smell and no real taste.

However, it is a very stealthy as the smoke does not smell like burning bud usually does. Great for public events.

minds_I

His contempt for objective truth is the rejection of democratic accountability, an implicit demand that his supporters place undying faith in him. Because the only measure of truth he accepts is what he claims at any given moment, the power his supporters vest in him is unlimited. Sound familiar?
If we must have an enemy at the head of Government, let it be one whom we can oppose, and for whom we are not responsible, who will not involve our party in the disgrace of his foolish and bad measures.
In the United States, under our Constitution, a free press is a check on politicians of all parties. If we are to demand that other countries respect the tradition of a free press we must also practice that here at home.
Let the people know the facts, and the country will be safe.
minds_I is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 PM #9
medicalmj

medicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the roughmedicalmj is a jewel in the rough
Well that depends. Good evidence that you should pick air or water cure not both. But that implies a full air cure then water cure.

However, back when I did the water cure I would quick dried for 3 days, and then water cured. I didn't do a full 30-90 day cure first. And some say it's better to do the quick dry first instead of putting in wet as it may protect the THC.

Used to water cure back in early nineties cause I actually wanted to make my weed look dark and not like the KB. I wanted to roll big spliffs all day long without being sus, lol.

My take, produces an incredibly smooth and more potent smoke that has a more rich earthy and thick feel but lacks the pungent KB taste/smell.

I am going to do it again in two week to a few zips of the cheese. Very excited to do this again.

Also, I have never really cured my weed for months as so many swear by. I quick dry (3 days) using fans, RH at 45-50, and temps at around 75F. Then I sweat the stem overnight, dry for the day, reseal and burb for a day or two. That's it. A week or less.

It burns clean and the taste/smell is well preserved as it was before harvest. It can be a little harsher than a 3 month cure, but the long cures seem to lose the floral/sweet notes and gives a earthy and a bit more smooth feel.
Just a little disclaimer: I don't really grow weed, hell I've never even tried it. My shrink suggested I develop an alter-ego to help with my low self esteem. So I took on the identity of a marijuana grower. Seemed real exciting and a little risque. So if I post any pictures, sorry but they're just something I found on the internet. Thanks in advance for playing along, and helping me with these tough times!
medicalmj is offline Quote

Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 PM #10
TheCleanGame
Banned

TheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really niceTheCleanGame is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalmj View Post
My take, produces an incredibly smooth and more potent smoke that has a more rich earthy and thick feel but lacks the pungent KB taste/smell.
I just have to say that the only bud that water curing ever helped, in my experience, was really gross stuff I picked up from another grower.

The ONLY redeeming value to water curing is that it removes the terpenes and makes it smell less, more stealthy. If water curing makes your bud 'better' as in smoother or better flavor, you really need to take a looooong look at your growing process.
TheCleanGame is offline Quote