As some people in here probably already know, i've been having a ton of issues getting my cloning down. I probably wasted over 100 cuttings while having almost no success. I should of just trusted my gut because i kept thinking that i was probably way overwatering them with my OCD. However, i kept focusing on changing everything else instead like the lighting, which plugs/medium i was using, when to take the dome off and when to keep it on, what rooting gel/powder to use and ignoring the basic fundamentals.
I simply wet them instead of soaking them when they were almost fully dried out and kept repeating that and 10 days after taking the cuts i have 12 out of 21 rooted. 2 out of the 21 were only put there like 5 days ago so really only 19 were planted 10 days ago. 2 of the 12 that have rooted, showed there roots today so i'm hoping a couple more might root as well. So slightly above 57% rooting rate so far which isn't amazing but good enough for me considering lol.
I used mostly a mixture of new and re-used rapid rooters, but 2 were put in rockwool macro plugs (both of which rooted) and 3 in perlite as a test (1 of which rooted).
I liked the rockwool, though i would need to try it with a bigger sample size to compare it fairly with the rapid rooters but one thing i noticed is that while they seem to hold more moisture, they aren't as finicky about the exact moisture level. It seemed like the rockwool was harder to overwater, basically.
I just copied the regular tips on here mostly, mainly JJ scorpio's idea along with some suggestions from people in pm's and posts around the forum. I used fiskars and a hobby knife to cut them 4-6" long and at a 45* angle and placed them in solo cups with tap water for like 15-20 minutes, then i cut most of the growth off each cutting except for the top main growth, i cut the tips off of/squared the ends off of the remaining leaves, i scraped the outer layer off of the bottom inch or so of each cutting, then while damp stuck the stem into the packet of rootone and applied generously, blowing the excess off gently afterwards and placing them into their respective plugs/mediums.
I used a standard 10 x 20 inch propagation tray with a cell insert and humidity dome. I also used the hydrofarm heatmat and thermostat combo to control temps as it's been quite cold in my house and in general. I set the thermostat to 73 degrees F which a lot of people said was a good temp for the roots, although just like everything on here i'm sure it's debated lol. My cell insert has some holes so i put the probe in one of the holes roughly the same depth as the roots would be.
I noticed the cutting that were a little too large and had thick stems seemed to be harder to root, but that could just be me and i can't back that up as fact. On some i noticed nitrogen deficiency starting at about 4-5 days, and it seemed like it was mostly on the ones that i probably left a little too much growth (leaves) on. On one cutting you might have small leaves on the top so leaving another leaf or two below on the cutting will be fine, but the ones with bigger leaves seem like they need more of their growth (again mainly leaves) taken off and the tips of the remaining leaves pruned enough.
The nitrogen deficiency as i'm sure is obvious had an effect on root development too. Of all the clones that rooted successfully, the ones with the yellowing leaves had the smallest and least amount of roots. The ones that rooted and stay all green had a lot more root development, so next time i need to make sure that i take enough growth off of the cuttings so they have enough nitrogen.
I'm hoping that tweaking the small and basic things like that, figuring out the perfect temp for the thermostat, learning the best sites to take clones from, how often to take the dome off, etc. will increase my success rate even more.
It feels good to finally be able to do something at least halfway right that it seems everyone but me could do lol. It only took me like a year...