Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Endophytes for ipm

Thread Title Search
Endophytes for ipm Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 PM #1
moses wellfleet

moses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivor
Endophytes for ipm

Please read this article and join a discussion on this topic!

I have a plant that is very resistant to powdery mildew and some cuts that are very susceptible to it!

My plan is to do the whole leaf smoothie thing with the resistant plant and try inoculate the cuts that suffer heavily from pm!

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/artful-amoeba/leaf-fungus-smoothie-brings-endangered-hawaiian-flower-back-from-the-brink/
moses wellfleet is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:49 PM #2
Gry
One Nation Underground

Gry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivor
This sounds neat as can be !

Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 PM #3
moses wellfleet

moses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gry View Post
This sounds neat as can be !
That’s what I thought, and it is not so different from inoculating human babies against disease!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:13 AM #4
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses wellfleet View Post
Please read this article and join a discussion on this topic!

I have a plant that is very resistant to powdery mildew and some cuts that are very susceptible to it!

My plan is to do the whole leaf smoothie thing with the resistant plant and try inoculate the cuts that suffer heavily from pm!

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...rom-the-brink/

great article Moses , I didn't see where they stated what the 11 known endophytes they had used were.

They mention yeast but not the others I could see. Still interesting they found PM in such large numbers after the inoculation and the plant was thriving according to them.

I was thinking that your cuts (same mother?) need to be inoculated with soil from that mother. It may be as simple as that but if you already are inoculating, then disregard this message.

If you haven't, Id try that and drink that smoothie
Rico Swazi is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM #5
moses wellfleet

Yes so I am growing in organic soil that I reuse, replanting directly in the same container after harvest. Some plants would indeed have been exposed to soil from the highly resistant plant. There is one strain that possibly did build up some resistance after arriving, in fact it is the cut that brought the pm in the first place. I am going to run mostly the resistant plant from now on so there will be greater exposure!!

I’m only assuming that endophytes are responsible for the resistance. If it is somehow just naturally genetically resistant to pm then the smoothie wouldn’t work!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM #6
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
I have long hypothesized that dark septate endophytes (DSE) are what I observe in ACT and V-compost slurries. Many growers able to produce CT with high fungal populations report highly successful vigorous gardens.

I have maintained that these fungi-imperfecti grow into the root systems, enhancing nutrient uptake and pathogen resistance.

Here is a relatively decent article. Be aware of one error where it is implied that DSE are all melanized [colored]. This a misnomer. Many DSE are hyaline [colorless] and many start hyaline and become melanized.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0061332

Another good article;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4408093/

Quote:
All DSE strains except A. macrosclerotiorum formed intracellular melanised or hyaline microsclerotia

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
The thing which man is most sure of, is man's greatest mystery.....gravity.

Last edited by Microbeman; 05-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: another articl
Microbeman is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM #7
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
I've read many reports (the last few years now) of the same clones having differing resistances to PM, with the difference being nutritionally based. I would first make sure the cuts are indeed getting the same nutrition as the donor parent. Using recycled organic without testing may make this more difficult.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2019, 04:40 PM #8
Drewsif

Drewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
I've read many reports (the last few years now) of the same clones having differing resistances to PM, with the difference being nutritionally based. I would first make sure the cuts are indeed getting the same nutrition as the donor parent. Using recycled organic without testing may make this more difficult.
I've seen many reports of diseased hydro plants quarantined in anaerobic earthbox conditions and fully recover from all symptoms.. We could count the microbes, interview them, whatever, but I prefer to simply accept the supremacy of nature. You dont have to think about things when you submit
Drewsif is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 PM #9
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses wellfleet View Post
Yes so I am growing in organic soil that I reuse, replanting directly in the same container after harvest. Some plants would indeed have been exposed to soil from the highly resistant plant. There is one strain that possibly did build up some resistance after arriving, in fact it is the cut that brought the pm in the first place. I am going to run mostly the resistant plant from now on so there will be greater exposure!!

I’m only assuming that endophytes are responsible for the resistance. If it is somehow just naturally genetically resistant to pm then the smoothie wouldn’t work!!

After reading the 1st paper MM linked to, it makes sense (to me) that your cut reached a happy place in regards to fungal infection. Perhaps your new cuts will eventually do the same given time and the right conditions which include the proper amount of inoculation from the start. The paper refers to it as pattern and quantity.

Quote:
Subsequently, the FPDR increased rapidly, suggesting more hyphae colonized within the roots, finally reaching a steady-state level in rice roots, indicating that fungal proliferation was synchronized with root growth. The fungal biomass was restricted to a certain extent without the ingression of additional hyphae from outside or overgrowth of the hyphae inside. This indicates a transition from an unlimited to a limited fungal growth pattern in the host root and homeostasis between root growth and fungal proliferation. In contrast, the pathogen showed unlimited proliferation in roots and even spread to aerial tissues accompanied by a continuous increase in fungal biomass. This fungal overgrowth led to plant disease and killed the host [53]. Therefore, another difference between mutualism and antagonism is quantitative rather than qualitative. Taken together, these observations indicate that colonization pattern and quantity are deciding factors in whether a fungus-plant interaction is mutualistic or antagonistic.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 PM #10
Rico Swazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Any links to those reports?

Would be interesting to see if an overabundance of P played a role in suppressing endophyte colonization, including Mycorrhizal fungi