Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Outdoor Hydro Herbs and Leafy Greens

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Outdoor Hydro Herbs and Leafy Greens Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2019, 12:33 PM #31
GOT_BUD?

GOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud of
I'm pretty sure I would do the same thing in that heat. But I'm not a heat tolerant variety.

I'll stay up Nort' and freeze my balls off 5 months out of the year instead.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 PM #32
starke

starke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud of
Weekly Update

Everything survived another week except one spinach plant. An insect,(I'm betting a caterpillar), chewed off the main stem right at the level of the Hydroton. Everything also actually grew like crazy in spite of the heat.

I have just been draping the 40% shade cloth from the back of the unit to a couple of ropes just enough to keep it off the plants. Going to come up with a more permanent solution this coming week because it seems to be working, even for the lettuce:

In fact the lettuce did so well the misses chopped it back right after the pics above and we have enough for a salad tonight:

Will be interesting to see how much it grows out this coming week since it is cut completely back to the level of the Hydroton.

Peace,
starke
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

My Ongoing Grow Diary: Paused

Real Gorilla Seeds Sour Orange Diesel Tester Grow: (Completed 2/5/19)

Tripleberry F2 Tester Grow: In Progress
starke is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 AM #33
Palindrome
King of Schwag

Palindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivor
Looking delicious there, great to see the shade cloth did the trick.

Im working on making a small aquaponic salad bed in the garden, placed in the middle of a raides soil bed. Hope it will work as well as your psychedlic art work!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 AM #34
starke

starke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
Looking delicious there, great to see the shade cloth did the trick.

Im working on making a small aquaponic salad bed in the garden, placed in the middle of a raides soil bed. Hope it will work as well as your psychedlic art work!
Aquaponics has always interested me. Hope you will put some posts up. Would love to see it.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

starke is offline Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 AM #35
Palindrome
King of Schwag

Palindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivor
Im taking pictures on the go, will post something once I get it to work.
There is still gonna go a bit of time, got a big hole to dig and the truck just came with soil and mulch.

It was booked Monday next week, but I guess they had extra time.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM #36
DARKSIDER
Garden of Eden

DARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Everything survived another week except one spinach plant. An insect,(I'm betting a caterpillar), chewed off the main stem right at the level of the Hydroton. Everything also actually grew like crazy in spite of the heat.

I have just been draping the 40% shade cloth from the back of the unit to a couple of ropes just enough to keep it off the plants. Going to come up with a more permanent solution this coming week because it seems to be working, even for the lettuce:

View Image

View Image

In fact the lettuce did so well the misses chopped it back right after the pics above and we have enough for a salad tonight:

View Image

Will be interesting to see how much it grows out this coming week since it is cut completely back to the level of the Hydroton.

Peace,
starke
Nice one starke. glad to see you fixed it

Serious Seeds.. bubblegum Tester.. Completed.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348148

Connoisseur Genetics.. old school haze X casey jones Tester.. Completed
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=351788

Bradley Danks Genetics.. Fire Alien Strawberry x Jagerschnitzel Tester.. Platinum Cookies x Jagerschnitzel Tester.. Ongoing.. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360103

Connoisseur Genetics.. Triangle Church Cookie 3 Tester ..Church Fuel Tester.. Ongoing.. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362278

DARKSIDER is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:10 AM #37
Green Squall

Green Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivor
You should plant some Bok Choy in there. Easy to grow and its delicious.
Green Squall is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM #38
starke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Squall View Post
You should plant some Bok Choy in their. Easy to grow and its delicious.
Never even crossed my mind. Thanks for the excellent idea.

starke is offline Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 PM #39
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really niceRico Swazi is just really nice
Looks yummy starke, well done so far.
I'd bet you could rock some root crops like radish, Kohlrabi and turnips in that colorful contraption of yours.
Plants are really liking what you are doing with the shade cloth. Dialing it in!

If you like kale, I have found the tuscan kale variety slow to bolt

been almost a week for the lettuce
anything worth picking again?
rock on
Rico Swazi is offline Quote