What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spinosad used as a systemic

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
interesting enough for trials if or when they return to my room.
luckily i haven't a problem currently, but those are hard to get rid of.

It's been a while for me I don't know how they got in. Well I'm going to give it a shot, along with a million other tactics so hardly scientific

Cadfael

It works very well.

I would also hunt down some Conserve, which is Dow's more concentrated version if you are doing big batches.

Like any systemic, do not use during flower.

Also, for a better IPM, start looking into beneficial nematodes.

Granger2

Veteran
Toasty,
I'm really interested in this. Please report back with your findings. The last time I had them, I dunked plants in Azasol, then every 36 hours dunked them in Spinosad. 3 apps. Totally disappeared the mites. Good luck. -granger

heatherlonglee

I'm lazy, and I don't want to type. Quote below from my own post almost 2 yrs ago. Spinosad as a drench was only shown to work well in rockwool.

"Systemic use of spinosad to control the two-spotted spider mite (Acari: Tetranychidae) on tomatoes grown in rockwool"

Google it peoples!
1. It's a study on how soil drenching (spraying on leaves was less effective) with Spinosad growing in Rockwool kills mites; and the study says 100%.

2. Stays in plant tissue killing mites for 30 days after drench.

3. New cutting or clones started into untreated Rockwool, Spinosad stayed in plant tissue 14 days.

4. More than one medium tested, Rockwool cubes 6.5 · 6.5 · 7.5 cm, 100% Sand, 70% Peat-30% Sand, 95% Sand-5% Clay, 100% Sand, 100% Black Earth.

5. Soil Drench 100% kill rate in Rockwool, (60% kill rate) in Sand, (42% kill rate) in 95% Sand- 5% Clay, not much killing in other mediums tested.

6. I had to make a special request for the complete study, not sure what I can post here? Request the study some other smarter members; please add to what I've missed or misunderstood.

I did an application last night. I'm in RDWC so I drained and soaked the bare roots.

It seems like the defining feature of rockwool relative to the others would be its inert nature so I don't know why it wouldn't work for bare roots.

Even a 50% systemic kill rate would be huge in a proper management program and probably higher as they'll already be stressed.