What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Times Dec 1977 issue

BM-504

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was playing Clark Grizzwald in the attic the other day and found an old High Times mag from December 1977 I thought I would share the price list of what was going around at the time.

picture.php

picture.php

nukklehead

beautiful history bm.. why not take it to the pawn shop and see
what chumly will give for it.. ha ha... thanks for the memories

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In '77, if I recall correctly, tuition at a California State University was $12 a unit, and our 5-bedroom, 3-bath house was $900/month. Outrageous, but it was a pretty nice house.

I

icon

very cool, my friend has a box of hightimes from late 70's-early 80's in his storage & i still got a dozen or so from 2000-2003 im a bit younger then he is...im going to dig mine out tomarrow, thanks for sharing

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ran half ton+ per week up i-95 from ft lauderdale to nj then brooklyn making $25-$40. per POUND just to keep it moving moving moving, 1979-1981 and then the music stopped and there were no chairs. Beaners of golden colombian cornflakes in red rooster coffee bags which averaged 36-45 lbs a bale with bales stacked to the rafters, in-out-in-out-in-out when we started in 79 dwindled to brown merch with seeds seeds seeds in late 80 and then the mexicans came. They'd just hack the farms down wrap it in plastic wrap and run it over the border near laredo then up to jersey to my place. A, B, C quality with the A being pretty close to medicinal. Nobody would buy "the green weed" in brooklyn. They all wanted the gold colombian but by then it was over and cocaine was becoming the thing to do and as I went on forced vacation when I returned I never went back.

Had one connection bringing hundreds of lbs of hash in from the middle east. They were all wrapped in white linen and stamped in different colors to denote quality. The stamps usually had a picture of a guy on a camel with pyramids in the backround.

Then there were the Viet boat people. Ahh yes they would get picked up but not the little boats. Some of them had thai stick etc in the hold and after the people were picked up a fellow in a hatteras would go and pick up the thai sticks. Didn't last long but it was sure different.

Ahh to be a major runner living in ft lauderdale and only 22 years old.
viking.gif

If I only knew then what I know now :laughing: ( I would have moved to California! )

Thanks for the flashback.

I ran half ton+ per week up i-95 from ft lauderdale to nj then brooklyn making $25-$40. per POUND just to keep it moving moving moving, 1979-1981 and then the music stopped and there were no chairs. Beaners of golden colombian cornflakes in red rooster coffee bags which averaged 36-45 lbs a bale with bales stacked to the rafters, in-out-in-out-in-out when we started in 79 dwindled to brown merch with seeds seeds seeds in late 80 and then the mexicans came. They'd just hack the farms down wrap it in plastic wrap and run it over the border near laredo then up to jersey to my place. A, B, C quality with the A being pretty close to medicinal. Nobody would buy "the green weed" in brooklyn. They all wanted the gold colombian but by then it was over and cocaine was becoming the thing to do and as I went on forced vacation when I returned I never went back.

Had one connection bringing hundreds of lbs of hash in from the middle east. They were all wrapped in white linen and stamped in different colors to denote quality. The stamps usually had a picture of a guy on a camel with pyramids in the backround.

Then there were the Viet boat people. Ahh yes they would get picked up but not the little boats. Some of them had thai stick etc in the hold and after the people were picked up a fellow in a hatteras would go and pick up the thai sticks. Didn't last long but it was sure different.

Ahh to be a major runner living in ft lauderdale and only 22 years old. View Image

If I only knew then what I know now :laughing: ( I would have moved to California! )

Thanks for the flashback.

Damn dude sounds like fun.

I was in southwest costa rica for a while in 07 and a local friend and I were getting dark golden flakes of supposed highland colombia for $80 ~half lb.

We were smoking finger size joints all day, had the most soaring clear high I've ever experienced. Makes me wonder if it was at all similar to what you guys were dealing with back then. Probably not near the quality but you could tell it was fermented before it was bailed and not sprayed with anything. Clean tasting.

Enjoyed your story man, thanks.

BM-504

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice story Tudor.

Finding that old magazine had me tripping down memory lane.
I was trying to remember why I had bought it and then saw the Thai stick pic’s and remembered there was a fair amount to these going around my neck of N. Cali at that time.

Notice that Cali bud is not on the list.
The first time I saw “Green” bud was the fall of 1977 My buddy knew where to score some of this new green killer... So we went to this dude’s place out in the country and he walked out to his barn and got a whole dry plant that he had to break in half to get it into his kitchen. My buddy and I were tripping because we had never seen a whole mature plant before, they guy kept calling it Sinsemilla...what’s that mean?...and he said seedless.... the wave of the future. So we bought an oz. for a 100 bucks. It had a clean light minty flavor if I remember right.
Ironic that 2013 and 1977 Cali OD prices are similar.

Anyway I got a good chuckle out of some of the old ad’s did anybody buy any of these?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh boy I can see all kinds of listings on ebay lol

I remember once we waited and waited for a smaller size dry run up the east coast. WAY too late to be on the road by the time the load arrived. We were using little convoys of u-haul pod-like things that week. It was different all the time. Once we did a huge wet run that was nailed but nobody caught. That's another story but this one we loaded a pick up truck in montville NJ and drove all the way over to bayridge, had to go over the verrazano obviously and it's a toll. Well we only had $100's and this weed and my helper had taken a few pounds already bagged them and had them in the front seat with us so at the end of the long night he'd just take off but here we are with several hundred lb's loaded with these colombian rooster bales in an old open pickup truck ( NO CAP ) with freaking side pipes at the toll booth on the verezano bridge at like 3AM when it's essentially the only time ever that there's nobody on the road and I'm staring at the toll booth operator waiting for billy to tell me he only has hundreds too so I quickly grab what was about a pound and threw the bag at the toll booth operator and drove off. Ft Hamiliton is the exit we needed and we got right the f off the road, delivered the pickup, too late to wake anybody up and left it like that parked ( anyone know the area in brooklyn? travolta was doing his dance thing a couple blocks away ) on the street at 79th and 5th in bayridge.

Can we please go back, just for one day?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe a thread on the good ol days of smuggling is in order?

B

BrnCow

Good old days, Iso hash, power hitters for my friends, coke from San Andreas, mexican by the 100 # lots from McAllen, Colombo Red from Colorado Springs, and Miami, meth from the locals in Ranger, heroin from Nuevo Laredo, laugh weed, OS sid from Sunshine family in Bezerkley, thai sticks for $10 at a house with a boat slip to the bay by Tacoma area, Wheeler's Ranch and Morningstar, and I missed most of it at that...

I

icon

ok dug some up i have a lot more but didnt grab them all. it was fun to look through them again most of the centerfolds are missing cause i pulled them out to hang on my walls.
so heres some pix from a few 1999 issues
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

B

blue green

Nice thread.....

How much were those titties back in '77,.... oh, free i imagine. :):rolleyes:

I can tell that some companies aren't spending much on advertising, they still have the same pictures on their listings.... 14 years later. lol

Tokin

I found a nov 78 issue. My favorite stuff is all the coke tools hahaha! Gold plated "snow" shovels n shit. I think my fav ad was for the Buzz Bomb, a weed pipe that would give you a shotgun with nitrous. The Rip Shifter is funny too.

AKDrifter

I remember looking at some old High times (not 77 cuz I was in 1st grade), and seeing ads for the Phototron. I was screwing around last week and googled it, they are still making those things.

Piel

Veteran
I once smuggled ONE joint through airport customs and I almost shit myself. Smuggling was not my thing :)

That was in -77...I´ve done worse things since.

Latest posts

Latest posts