What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Initial Grow Strategy - Any advice?

wildthought

I am thinking of keeping it simple with Green Crack, Pineapple Express, and LSD-25 all auto flowering. My thought was to get 2 600 watt LED lamps in a 5x5 grow tent. How many plants? I was thinking about 12 plants in a 3 wide and four deep. I am still a little confused on exhaust.

The tent I was thinking of.

The lights are King Plus

After researching options, I believe I will try with Coco rather than soil. Any thoughts on the overall strategy? I will be growing right next to a bathroom with a filter. Can I vent exhaust in there?

wildthought

Other questions: If I am only growing plants that autoflower at a 1 to 1.5 meters, why do I need an 8 foot high tent? Should I be looking at other strains that fit my tent better and thereby skip the auto flowering?

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
forget the auto flower,get one 1000 w light (forget the led), bog seeds are good or bodhi seeds or csg
anything with chem or diesel or gg4 in the mix(blueberry crosses if you don't want to get too blasted )
I like promix bx(sometimes coco has too much salt)
flora nova grow and bloom are pretty bullet proof .
like you said keep it simple...good luck

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Depending on where you are, photo clones of something awesome like GG4, or other award winners are the way to go. Seeds are a crap shoot, phenotype wise. Why re-invent the wheel, unless that is your thing, or can not get cuts in your state/country. I would lean towards a 60 day cut. Could get 6 harvests a year, starting them outside the tent.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Other questions: If I am only growing plants that autoflower at a 1 to 1.5 meters, why do I need an 8 foot high tent? Should I be looking at other strains that fit my tent better and thereby skip the auto flowering?

The container should be at least eight inches plus room to drain the coco.
The lights are five inches and need six inches overhead airspace and eighteen inches clearance from the plant tops.
That takes up three feet. Are the containers and plumbing on a table?

I have found any plant over a meter starts getting tight in my eight foot high bud room.

The double 5 watt LED setup is a clone of Black Dog which uses the same system. I do not know if the same brand diodes are used.
In a side by side with five brands of LED the Black Dogs with their doubled diodes won the growth contest.

Done correctly coco will outgrow any other media. I use the one cm rockwool croutons, easier for me and growth is still better than dirt.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do autos on the periphery of your tent while you are vegging a few photos.

They'll be done once you switch to 12/12 light regimen. And have good smoke while waiting for the photoperiods to bud & finish.

Best of both worlds! That's what many of our customers do.

Get in there and grow!!! And...learn from mistakes. Each time will be better.

T

TreehouseJ

Check your state laws before deciding on plant count. You could easily fill a 5x5 tent with 1 or two plants under a screen. These things literally triple in size during flower. Adding a ton of plants to reduce your veg time.. doesn't reduce your flowering time. Arago, so long as you take cuttings on the last day of veg and set them to continue vegging in a separate tent, you'll have 8-9 week old plants ready to fill up your entire flower area again come harvest time.

Some people run a ton of plants in a small area and seem to get 30-40% extra, just by really utilizing all the corners or by using a colosseum style setup to maximize the efficiency of their light. While this is f'n awesome and everything, it is substantially more work, and unless you are cleared for that kind of plant count in your jurisdiction, the risks far outweigh the benefits, imo. I am perfectly happy pullin' 2 lbs with 2 plants in a 5' x 6.5' tent

http://norml.org/laws

My current setup is a 4x4x7 and 1000w digital ballast. I wouldnt do two 600's unless you know how to handle the heat, 4x4x7 is a great tent size IMO and works perfect with an 1000w. Forget autos, do photoperiod because they will get you much higher of a yield. Just my two cents.

Tri_Cho_Me

If this is your first grow, I would say your plant count seems high. If you've grown before, then I'm sure you're fine. Just don't jam them in there. Give them some space to breathe and be happy.

Good luck!

Tri_Cho_Me

If this is your first grow, I would say your plant count seems high. If you've grown before, then I'm sure you're fine. Just don't jam them in there. Give them some space to breathe and be happy.

Good luck!

Tri_Cho_Me

Maybe you're right, maybe you aren't. Some of my buddies who grow suggested me grow my legal 12, but I have 3 and it's very mangagable. Ran into this light overwatering issue but that's all trial and error. I'm happy with how they look now. Once they stretch in flower we are gonna give them more room to stretch out. We've kept temp at 78-82 and humidity maybe 45-55

Latest posts

Latest posts