What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st grow, soil/cfl/rubbermaid/bagseed....scrog???

MdNewgrower

Now at a point of ordering seeds in the next 24 hours.

I made the mistake of asking my wife what strain to geow, and she wants Nirvana Bubblelicious, based solely on pics. Looks ok to me(but i know bupkus about strains), and will be buying feminized seeds. Any other, better, recommendations? The current plan is to buy once, grow what comes(including freebies from Nirvana) and cloning....

OMG, what have i gotten myself into.....

MdNewgrower

Still waiting on seeds to arrive.,, and life caused a slow down in forward progress. However, that may not be such a bad thing.* I have been doing a lot of reading, and have gone through a bunch of* different potential iterations, from the initial box design of stacked rubbermaid tubs, to maybe building a cab from plywood, to maybe buying a tent. Then, going from cheapy space blanket to reflectix to maybe flat white paint.* Then, .....well, you get the point, Dear Readers....

Now, to where I think I am...

Large Rubbermaid type tub, standing on end, with a "floor" size of either 18.5"x19.3" (with a usable interior height of about 28").

OR:

Same style of tub, but larger at 19.5"x21.3"(usable interior height about 38").

Either would be painted flat white inside.

Originally was going to go with 4-6 23w cfls during both veg and flower. Now at 12(4 on top, and 2 at each corner). Now at 276 watts total.

I should have 5 nirvana bubblelicious femmed seeds, plus 10 random freebies coming. Still going to grow the bubblicious from Nirvana as my "primary" grow. My eventual goal is a clone style perpetual grow.

Now on to the question(s):

Should I do 2-3 or more plants in this size box, in 1 gallon pots, scrog style...

OR

1 plant, in a short, 18"x18"x6" bin, which seems to push up on 5 gallons, also with scrog?

I am newbie-confused.....

Thoughts?

T

TreehouseJ

Really, whatever works in your space, and fits in your budget.

I would personally go the whole 9 and get like a 6x6x6 tent to flower in, 2-3 600w hps cooltubes, 2 carbon filters, 2 exhaust fans, a hepa intake filter, a co2 tank and controller, a dehumidifier, a humidifier, a window ac, a wireless temp/humidity sensor and application to chart everything in, and a separate smaller veg tent, all for probably less than $2500.

The damn thing is going to pay for itself three times over every 2 months, it wouldn't take up much space, and it would be a riot to run.

I would veg for 9 weeks and flower for 9 weeks in simple dwc buckets under modular scrogs, 1 plant per HID, taking clones the day before inducing flower, giving them a solid 9 weeks between cycles to veg into plants capable of producing over a pound each

If I didn't have room for all that, I would do something like Anti or Reiko with a bare vertical 150w HID's surrounded by vertical screens.

I'm a big fan of the micro-grow. I'm sure you could crush with only a few cubic feet, I've seen it done, but if you have enough space for a small tent.. I would personally try and work with it.

Look up your state laws on the norml website before deciding on plant count.

Also, you can't edit til you hit 50 posts.

Good luck!

MdNewgrower

Ok, semi/total change of plans.

Now going kind of trapezoid shape, all the way around, based on the shape of the tub.

Using this for the tub/box:
HDX 55 Gal. Storage Tote in Black HDX55GONLINE(4) at The Home Depot - Mobile
http://m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-Gal-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX55GONLINE-4/205597365

14" +/-(at most narrow, actual bottom) x 17.5" +/- (at most shallow portion of depth) x 32" +/- (artificial flat bottom, to touching bottom of lowest center hanging light).

I am going to hang it, actual bottom to the wall, in a closet.

Single plant will be grown in a sub irrigated 14qt tub, that measures 16"lx13"wx7.5"h

Just left it on and closed for 1.5 hours, with 8 x 23w cfls, and no fan (although the upper hole for the fan is cut), and my analog thermometer never got over 80. My flowering plan calls for 12 x 23w and a 120x120 PC fan at the top, and double that area for intake at the bottom. I am thinking it will work.

Pics when i figure out hosting...

Attachments

• 20161030_211341.jpg
    20161030_211341.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20161030_211244.jpg
    20161030_211244.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20161030_211313.jpg
    20161030_211313.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 20

MdNewgrower

The pic above has 184w of mixed CFL lights. My plan during flower is 276w, all 2700k.

I figure that going by the GPW ratios i have read, .1gpw will give me about an ounce, .2gpw/2oz, etc.

I am hoping for .5gpw, mostly because 1gpw is probably a bit too much to ask for.

MdNewgrower

I wish i thought that i could dare hope for .75 gpw, but based on square footage(1.6+ish), and being a first time grow, AND using soil with CFLS, well, i have nothing but hope all the way around....

You got a good spirit! Ditch your cfl plan and get a hps. You will not be disappointed with the results! When u get your little sprouts popped DO NOT water them very much. That's the biggest newb mistake. Too much water bad to start! Veg cfl..... Flower hps!!!!!!

MdNewgrower

As Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part", and i am still waiting on seeds.* Grrrr.

Anyway, still baby stepping on the box set up. I keep pondering light placement. I am definitely going with CFLS, 23w x 12 or possibly 16. So, 276w* or 368w(really want to say/believe that I can reach 1gpw but just cant wrap my head around it, and im really only working with maybe 1.75sq* feet actual.). I had originally been thinking about 2 lights in each corner, oriented with 1 side facing the wall, 1 above the other, in a half assed imitation of the high pod.

Now thinking of a "socket with outlet splitter ", for 4 bulbs each. Based on space/dimensions, maybe only 3 power strips. I will have to play around for placement.

My thought is that i can play with planter height, or light height. Its a conundrum.

Pot base will sit on the cut off bottom of a 13x17(ish) milk crate, so that will affect my decision.*

More to come. With pics when I get there.

MdNewgrower

Seeds have finally arrived
Now, i am more nervous than before...lol...

Switching from CFLS to LEDS, based on blynxes thread about screw ins. More to come.

Ooooohhhh. While I'm thinking about this, the actual grow will occur in DC, whete it is legal, as opposed to Maryland. Just saying...

Hi Bro,

You'll be fine just follow the steps and online there are tons of info let alone up here :) people are very much willing to help so again you should be fine.

Also you can check out my grow on youtube I think I provide quite some information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgK8MRSjLqc

good luck and if you have any questions I will try to answer them or at least direct you in the right direction :)

MdNewgrower

Ok, so seeds arrived. Happy days.

I'm an idiot, so took me a bit to get one to pop. Here she (I purchased feminized, so I hope she's a she).

Finally, sorta, kinda, got the box as ready as it's gonna get. This is with 4 5000k, 9w, 750 lumen bulbs.

Now, time will tell.

More to come.

Attachments

• 20161116_130002.jpg
    20161116_130002.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 19
  • 20161116_181004.jpg
    20161116_181004.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17

Dankwolf

box looks good. But are thoes leds?

I treid out 2 5000k 7200 lumen leds screw in bulbs and about killed all my mothers in a week . i hope you have better luck with them or got ones that work . when i tried my mother almost stoped growing stems turned purple leafs curled like n over dose and new growth was thin and vary fragil. Bulbs were about 6 inches away .

MdNewgrower

box looks good. But are thoes leds?

I treid out 2 5000k 7200 lumen leds screw in bulbs and about killed all my mothers in a week . i hope you have better luck with them or got ones that work . when i tried my mother almost stoped growing stems turned purple leafs curled like n over dose and new growth was thin and vary fragil. Bulbs were about 6 inches away .
I might be skeeered of 2 7200 lumen bulbs in this box. These are 750 lumens each. I will, at some point in the future, take a pic of the box when fully lit. In flower, it'll have approximately 100w and 10k lumens.

I can move/lower the plants about 12", or more if i change the rope holding it up.

Dankwolf

I might be skeeered of 2 7200 lumen bulbs in this box. These are 750 lumens each. I will, at some point in the future, take a pic of the box when fully lit. In flower, it'll have approximately 100w and 10k lumens.

I can move/lower the plants about 12", or more if i change the rope holding it up.

My bad ment to say 2 2700 lumen bulbs . have you been advised to use thebulbs your useing? I dont know much about led tech but 5000k bulbs would not even keep a plant alive for me .

MdNewgrower

Ok, so this is 4 5000k, and 2 2700k screw in LED bulbs. This pic shows 24 inches from the bottom of the lights to the bottom of the "pot".

I have an easy 6 inches more at the bottom

Attachments

• 20161116_204802.jpg
    20161116_204802.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 16