What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st grow, soil/cfl/rubbermaid/bagseed....scrog???

MdNewgrower

Hi guys. I'm MdNewgrower, and I'm a weedaholic.... smoked for 30+ years, recently started vaping(vaporgenie for the win there), and doing my first grow. Going to use 13 gallon rubbermaid tubs, top inverted, for a mini/micro grow.

Starting with:
Random bagseed x4
4x23w 6500k cfls for veg
16oz cups to start, to transplant to 1 gallon pots for flower
Right now, loosely covered with a space blanket and running on 24/0 to start.

Wife is grudgingly going along with this.:woohoo:

More to come, but any comments welcomed :thank you:

Tri_Cho_Me

I would recommend checking out the Micro Grow area of the forums. TONS of information for you there. Any question or problem you have or are going to have, someone has asked and posted in there. Good luck!

Tri_Cho_Me

MdNewgrower

I would recommend checking out the Micro Grow area of the forums. TONS of information for you there. Any question or problem you have or are going to have, someone has asked and posted in there. Good luck!

Tri_Cho_Me

Oh, I did.

I am where I am based on the info gleaned from these forums. I will post more details going forward.

MdNewgrower

Ok, a little specific information:

4x23w philips 6500k cfls right now
Dr earth "pot of gold " soil
Bottled spring water

Dankwolf

picture.php

View image in gallery

Rubermade totes work great used them for years just dont let the plants get to big if you plan on flowing under cfl s . i used cfls for the first 3 or so years when i started . from my experience i would go with a lower kalvin bulb for veg and flower . the plant above was under a 400 hps but you can get vary simaler results with cfl just need the right k rating i would shoot for 3000k to 4000k . i have tried many different k cfls and the ones i stated above work best for me . sounds like you got a good start with what info you have provided . if i can help i will .

Dankwolf

Cheap space blankes are your freind for cheap reflective matieral. You can get them at just about any sporting goods store .

Dankwolf

Low stress training works great with cfl grows . cfl lack penetration so its best to keep plants wide and leave plenty of room for light to penetrate. The plant above was in a 10 gallon rubermade tote .

MdNewgrower

Thanks for the responses, folks.

Ok, so I finished an approximately 36 hour germination(paper towel method) on the day I started this thread. 2 of the 4 pots look (to me, but I'm colorblind, so what do I know) to have just the barest hint of green showing. Might, or might not be sprouting. Time will tell. I watered, just a little, yesterday, and the soil seems moist-ish.

I know I still need:
PC fan ($5 at Microcenter, if only they knew...snicker snicker....), I have several 12v cords to choose from for free
A 6 outlet power strip / $7 at Home Depot
6 2700k CFL bulbs / $13 at Lowes
Some foil tape (haven't looked at price on this)

MdNewgrower

Forgot to mention, using a wally world space blanket currently, and will be adding it to the tubs.

I will wait 2 more days before I panic about the seeds.

MdNewgrower

Ok, still nada on the seeds popping thru. Not sure where I went wrong, but I think it will be back to the drawing board..... damn...but I will still give it till tomorrow before I dig them up.

Guess it's gonna have to be an "overseas seed order":shucks:

MdNewgrower

None of the seeds did anything. He!!, I can't even find them!?!? I have another 5 seeds(bagseed) soaking. At least a year old. What's the best way to get trthem germinated? Going to use fresh soil. What about watering? Any and all help appreciated!

daveyhouse

None of the seeds did anything. He!!, I can't even find them!?!? I have another 5 seeds(bagseed) soaking. At least a year old. What's the best way to get trthem germinated? Going to use fresh soil. What about watering? Any and all help appreciated!

That sucks about your first seeds

I am a first time grower myself. I soaked mine for 24 hours, then into a soaked paper towel inside a ziplock baggy. I had root showing after the first 24 hrs in towel, but I left them in the towel until the root was about 1/2" long.
(while in towel COMPLETE darkness)
Then I put them in soil just under surface (root tail pointing down). I left them find the light through the soil on there own.

I am currently at 5 1/2 weeks from seed under t5's

Good luck on these next 5 you have

Dankwolf

Wet paper towel in zip lock bag. Also keep them warm like 75 to 80 if possable .you can also scratch the out side of seeds with a sowing needle or scratch the outside of seeds with some sand paper (120 grit or something like that). The scratches help moisture get to the seeds . should see tails out of the seeds in about a day or 3 . soon as you get about a half inch tail out of seed its time to plant. Put them about 1 1/2 inches deep in a dixe cup 3/4 full of soil . be carfull easy to damage when they are young . after plant is a few inches above cup fill it resy of the way with soil . this will give you a good root base to start with . and of corse make sure to water and give it some light . good luck you got this.

MdNewgrower

Ok, disappointment has set in. The last 5, not 1 popped, even after soaking/scraping/sanding/warming/etc.

Going to order seeds this week. Best suggestions on short(ish), ScrOG ready, relatively easy to grow, semi-fast flowering strains are appreciated! Led than $10 per seed is a plus...

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I am helping my colorblind son in law learn to garden. He has green/blue problems and the red jug does not stand out from the green, causing confusion as I color code my nutrient solutions.

A few years back I did a strain search using bagseed.
Starting with 200 bagseeds in a paper towel, only 40 of them germinated. I went ahead and found a really fine plant that I cloned for the next 4 years.
Still, 160 seeds out of 200 did not germinate.

Your methods may be fine but the good seeds have not be found yet, start putting them in 10 to 20 at a time.

T

TreehouseJ

I kill plants. It's kinda just what I do. If I don't plant my seeds directly into the substrate and allow them to germinate on their own, I wind up killing the damn things. I am plants worst enemy.

I would try out oasis cubes. Besides the fact that they are a little expensive, I can't say enough good things about them. Solid, neat, porous, ph perfect.. of course there are a million ways to sprout a seed, but if you have a Kevorkian thumb like I do, I would give these a shot. So long as my oasis cubes aren't bone dry or sopping wet, stuff just magically sprouts from them.

Also 2nd dankwolf on seed scarring. I try and chip mine with a razor a bit.

Latest posts

Latest posts