What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rinsing GH Cocotek PX before use

Dick Dankerson

I've been using GH CocoTek PX in my Hempy buckets for my last three grows. Second time I used it I forgot to flush or rinse it out before planting. I lost about ten days of growth as the plants tuouffed it out and my watering/feeding finally cleaned out the salts.
So I decided to check this time around and see just how simple flushing affected the EC and PPM. I put new coco in a clean 18 oz. cup with drainage holes and ran 10 oz. of distilled water thru it. First time the run off PPM was 440. Second run thru it measured 200 and third time thru 64. Shows how fast the salts can be flushed. I use this brand because it has worked well for me and is readily available at my local hydro shop. I'm told canna is much cleaner but unfortunately not available locally for me.
Just thought I'd share.

Stay Elevated-DD

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haven't used GH, just Canna bricks and bags. I prefer the bags myself.

Being a lazy shit I water twice at transplant.

Dick Dankerson

I wish Canna was available in my area. I think it would be cleaner although I've had great results with the GH. 100% agree on bags over bricks. Unless your dealing with having it shipped, I much prefer loose bagged coco.

Dogen

I've used Canna and GH, and although I've had good success with both, there is no question that the Canna is a better, cleaner product.

Fwiw, I too have encountered issues with the GH after insufficient rinsing/buffering. It's not hard to do, but you must not forget to do it ��

Chrono2

I've been using GH CocoTek PX in my Hempy buckets for my last three grows. Second time I used it I forgot to flush or rinse it out before planting. I lost about ten days of growth as the plants tuouffed it out and my watering/feeding finally cleaned out the salts.
So I decided to check this time around and see just how simple flushing affected the EC and PPM. I put new coco in a clean 18 oz. cup with drainage holes and ran 10 oz. of distilled water thru it. First time the run off PPM was 440. Second run thru it measured 200 and third time thru 64. Shows how fast the salts can be flushed. I use this brand because it has worked well for me and is readily available at my local hydro shop. I'm told canna is much cleaner but unfortunately not available locally for me.
Just thought I'd share.

Stay Elevated-DD

i use canna bag and my first run off on a fresh bag is usually 126 ppm (i test every fresh bag i open and just opened one 2 days ago)