What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

El Copo cannabis event Medellin 2017

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Hey everyone!

I spent last new years in Medellin and loved it. I didn't know until it was too late, but they organized their first cannabis cup down there April of 2016.

I will be doing my best to attend and enter this upcoming year. This thread will be for sharing information on entries deadline, registering, lodging, travel tips, etc...

I doubt too many people will make it out, but I hope some others will.

It will be a great chance to network and meet the people in South America who are pushing the industry forward. Would love to see what they're growing, how they're growing etc...

I'll more than likely stay down there for 2-3 weeks.

http://copaelcopo.com/eng/la-copa.html

Abja Roots

Veteran
Sounds wonderful.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks for checking in Gypsy! Very happy that you're free, and I hope you're settling back in as best you can.

Thank you for this site and everything that you did over the years. You've been instrumental in the networking and growth of the cannabis scene across the world, but especially for us personally in the U.S.

I will definitely be sharing pictures and videos from this trip.

Abja Roots

Veteran
For anyone who might be curious I just heard back on the dates, and they said it's going to be May 28th and May 29th. I'm going to do my best to make it out there. Should be a great time, and a chance to see what's going on in Colombia. I think the future of large scale cannabis cultivation will be in places like Colombia and Cambodia where there is plenty of sunshine, water, land, and cheap labor.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I went there a couple times in '08 and didn't see any quality near the coast.
they are growing for really poor people not the US market anymore and I was glad that I smuggled Cali weed there for the trip.

it would be interesting if they could grow medical quality outdoor and recapture the US market for mids or lows again.

as soon as a big legal cali op gets the green light to move production to unregulated Mexico the game will really end quick here.

look at what the stupid regulations are making harvest look like in Oregon full sun 1 acre recreational grow.
[YOUTUBEIF]X9s9O7jJ2n0[/YOUTUBEIF]

Abja Roots

Veteran
I saw the process first hand for the month I was working for a rec farm out here in Oregon. It's definitely time intensive. There were some ways to speed it up, but the new regulations add a whole other component. Like he said though, it's giving him and a few other people jobs. Farms of this size require someone who is basically in charge of being in compliance full time. That's a 40-50k a year job for now.

I felt as though they should allow a whole batch of one variety to be entered after coming out of the field. The weighing of individual plants at every stage is ridiculously time consuming. I think that rule will change in the future.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I won't be attending (somebody's got to stay in Bogota and work) but this will be a big one. I've been to a couple here in Bogota and made good connections and had a good time. Our CBG hash fruit won in both cups I went to. There is some great outdoor Sativa here now grown by some boys that go up to Norcal alot and grow like the best of them. So I would highly recommend going if you have the means because just visiting Medellin is worth it.

red rider

My wife is about to have our first kid, or I would go to the cup. It will be too hard to try to make the trip with her just having given birth. Next year.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Copo 2017

Copo 2017

My wife is about to have our first kid, or I would go to the cup. It will be too hard to try to make the trip with her just having given birth. Next year.

Much better reason for not going than I have.

red rider

Manchineel

I'll be in Medellin in August.

Any hints or tips on where I should go for some quality bud?

In fact, any growers out there wanting a visit from a fellow grower from the land down under? I'm new to this forum so I gather there may be some trust issues, but can't blame a guy for trying.

I'm in Baños at the moment. Bud NOWHERE to be found. Allegedly Mr. Big Shot in town just got done by the local authorities last weekend with 5 pounds of bush weed from Colombia. I'm as gringo as they come. When I ask for bud I get laughed at and they say, "Impossible!"

Abja Roots

Veteran
Bummed I wasn't able to make it down there this year. Too much going on at the moment. I'm hoping next year might actually work out for me. I'm going to add some pictures I found from their facebook in the hopes that it might inspire others to attend at some point. Building the international relationships is a great way to keep this thing pushing forward.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bummed I wasn't able to make it down there this year. Too much going on at the moment. I'm hoping next year might actually work out for me. I'm going to add some pictures I found from their facebook in the hopes that it might inspire others to attend at some point. Building the international relationships is a great way to keep this thing pushing forward.

Look forward for the next one for me too!!! Gotta meet up and puff some big ones :biggrin:

nattyroots

there are a growing number of conferences in south america with growing attendance.
cool circuit. uruguay. chile.