What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized Seeds worth it?

RugerBaby

Autos are for pussies!
Veteran
well, this is MY experience with fem seeds. Currently have some fem seeds going alongside some regular beans. The fem beans seem to lack the vigor that the regular beans have. My regular plants seem to grow much faster and healthier.

BlueGrassToker

well, this is MY experience with fem seeds. Currently have some fem seeds going alongside some regular beans. The fem beans seem to lack the vigor that the regular beans have. My regular plants seem to grow much faster and healthier.
Surely you can tell more than that, ruger?
I mean, you bought two of the same strain one regular and one fem?
They are how old?
You see what I mean, what you offered up was not much help to anyone. Are we to glean from what you offered that there is a reason that the fems are lacking vigor?
From this limited experience, have you decided that they are or are not "worth it"?

i only speak the truth so here's my experiences..i always throw a femmed bean or 2 in my runs..never really had hermie problems or lack of vigor..those seem to be strained related to me..i've took clone of clone of a femmed, kept a mom for months with no ill will..as far as i'm concerned they are fine and do have value..
that being said definetly worth it, as long as they don't cost an arm and leg..come to think of it i have bought seed for 150.00-200.00 arm and leg, and got a herm and plants that were'nt half as good as some femmed beans or 30.00 -50.00 a pack reg beans..
choose wisely ,know where to look for great strains cheap and you should'nt have to many problems...

Tatt2U

I used regular seeds for many years and started trying out femmed sees 2 years ago.
I grow perpetual and space is at a premium in my grow, I didnt want to "waste" space on males. I have taken cuttings from cuttings too many times to remember. I havent had any degradation in yield or quality.

Ive only had 1 hermie from all the femmed seeds Ive grown out from at least 7 different breeders. The only breeder I was not happy with was GHSC. So far my favorite has been the gear from Female Seeds, I run their Pure Ak and Bubblegummer and am very happy with both, especially when you consider the low prices on their gear.

Royal Queen Seeds - No problem ever.. Have the Fruit Spirit and "MK-Ultra" from T.H seeds right now as mother plants, no problems making clones what so ever "Why should there be?"
Green House - No problemo
DNA - No problemo
Barney's - Not a single problem

Go for it..

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Yeah go for the fem seeds man, nothing wrong with em except you are guaranteed female plants. Oh wait that's a good thing hehe....

I recently popped two packs of seeds from two different breeders and had nothing but males out of both of em. Talk about PO'ed! The only downside to female seeds that I can see is you can't breed with em but if you're not trying to make seeds there's no reason not to use them

bigAl25

Veteran
Nirvana, Paradise seeds, OGR, female seeds: Strains:AK48, bubblelicious, blue mystic, snow white, black widow,strawberry bubba kush. All female seeds and all the buds/plants turned out great smoke. I have one area to grow so femmed seeds are my preference, and I have had great results. Looking forward to sensi star, ice cream and black widow on my next run. Look at the Nirvana seeds fan thread for my snow white and blue mystic results and photos.

Farm Hero

Fem'd ya say?

What was the method of fem'n used? (light stress, ionic silver or other)

Was the female used to make the fem'd seeds a true breeding female?

These are a couple of the things I would want to know when buying fem'd seeds.

I see it as cutting the male outta the situation might be beneficial to some, but in the grand scheme i'd rather keep true breeding alive. There is so much to be learned about the males contribution in breeding and cutting them out now seems very premature.

If your fem'd seed company isn't stress testing their seeds against easy herms, then I would want nothing to do with that company.

Also, of course fem'd offspring can clone, hell you can get a single leaf to root why would a fem'd plant be any harder/different?

Just my take on the situation, shortcuts can work, but many times they aren't the best option.

Manchineel

Hmm...I wonder how far, if at all, breeding only female seeds has come since the six years from the original post?

I'm not taking the piss. Your post is solid and informative, FH.

Soma is all about organic. He lets his girls go too long until they shoot nanners. The most time consuming method, but also the least likely to cause hermaphroditism in the S1/F1s, I feel.

Others just spray CS all over the place until the room is full of pollen.

Thoughts? I doubt a seed company will ever truthfully reveal how they produce their girls.

Manchineel

Hmm...I wonder how far, if at all, breeding only female seeds has come since the six years from the original post?

I'm not taking the piss. Your post is solid and informative, FH.

Soma is all about organic. He lets his girls go too long until they shoot nanners. The most time consuming method, but also the least likely to cause hermaphroditism in the S1/F1s, I feel.

Thoughts? I doubt a seed company will ever truthfully reveal how they produce their girls.

zif

Veteran

This was mature tech about two decades ago (and known in the late '70s), so likely not much has changed in the last six years. More and more regular seeds probably have parental lines worked as selfed females at some point, though.

Sounds like selective breeding for hermies? Did you mean most likely?

I think you'd find that the vast majority of female lines in any given company are produced using pollen from a single clone reversed with STS. It's hard work to find good 'fathers', regardless of the method.

Burt

Veteran
Most “elites or sports” are from hermi flowers-C99 to Chemdawg.
Nature abhors vacuum

I got a good question to add to this thread- when you find a keeper fem seed do they clone well or are they more prone to hermi after cloning? I ask cuz a breeder told me that if Im looking for a mother to clone then I should go with regular but if Im just tryn ta flower that fems is where its at.

that IS a good question. imle, seed runs need to be treated a little more gently than a clone run. and i personally beleive this is due to sexual maturation. i hear alot about how you shouldnt judge a strain till youve ran it atleast twice from clone. in my experience aswell clone plants seem to grow with more speed and vigor over the seed counterpart.

Latest posts

Latest posts