What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potatoes

Cmoon

did a Ruth Stout bed with 2 kinds, only ones (i think the red ones) have sprouted, but the others i saw roots so they may just be slacking. lol
been planning on doing the straw pillar method too and have several cages ready.
just need more potatoes ready to go.

Id be interested in seeing that bud:bigeye: im experimenting with 4 varieties , 1 seed and the rest bag sprutters from the shops, the previous picture is in 100 litres of recycled coco/hydroton feeding dutch pro bloom at 5.5 ph with lots of straight waterings inbetween.

PROBLEM:wtf: Iv got plenty of meduim to keep heaping up but they set flower a week ago, will spuds still produce in the coco/clay im laying on top as I built them up from a low bottom on some projects.

mr.brunch

Veteran
About a week ago...
picture.php

I fed them 2 days ago so I’ll get another picture at the end of the week

Cmoon

im going to be picking your brains on how to store them mr b:kissgrin:

How long do you heap the muck m8? old dad used to grow in floor like that before I hit my teens.

All the info on the net but thats not the same as a share and tear on a growsite:party:

Bests Cm

mr.brunch

Veteran
@Cmoon-
Best way to store is lay them in the sun for a couple of hours after digging up, it toughens up the skin. Then store in brown paper or hessian sacks, somewhere Frost free, cool and dark - shed is a good option, or an outside cupboard...
Shake the excess dirt off but don’t clean them until you use them.

With earthing up, they say to plant in a 6 inch deep trench, then earth up twice- first time when they’re about 6 inches tall- just covering the first couple of sets of leaves.
These days I dig the trench about 4 inches deeper, bury the spuds as they suggest which leaves about 4 inches still to fill in.
This becomes their first earthing ... when they’re above trench level I fill it in.
This year I had to completely cover them again a couple of weeks later due to a very late frost, which killed a couple of them unfortunately.
Hope that helps mate :tiphat:

Cmoon

@Cmoon-
Best way to store is lay them in the sun for a couple of hours after digging up, it toughens up the skin. Then store in brown paper or hessian sacks, somewhere Frost free, cool and dark - shed is a good option, or an outside cupboard...
Shake the excess dirt off but don’t clean them until you use them.

With earthing up, they say to plant in a 6 inch deep trench, then earth up twice- first time when they’re about 6 inches tall- just covering the first couple of sets of leaves.
These days I dig the trench about 4 inches deeper, bury the spuds as they suggest which leaves about 4 inches still to fill in.
This becomes their first earthing ... when they’re above trench level I fill it in.
This year I had to completely cover them again a couple of weeks later due to a very late frost, which killed a couple of them unfortunately.
Hope that helps mate :tiphat:

sounds good m8:headbange

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I usually have a 3x20 foot row. Rototill, bury, mound then wait for fall. This year I've expanded it to 6' by 30', tilled, planted on top (instead of burying them), then covered with straw. I have enough straw to cover it 24" deep.

Hope it works.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Thanks mate, they are all ‘potato bagseed’ from store bought potatoes, most are whites, and one is a variety called elfe... only got one to sprout

Got one heirloom Opperdoezer and a new variety Vitabella in containers and sees how it goes.That Elfe potato is more for making french fries, what I noticed.