What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brand with a word "Marijuana". Good/bad?

Tranquilidade

Some books claims that word marijuana is sometimes linked to racism and generally to bad history / things. Would you buy something from the brand which has this word in it's name? Or you don't care?

Share your thoughts.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's proper name is Cannabis. Prohibition named it marijuana. Why go with the man?
My sentiments exactly.

When I hear the word 'marijuana,' it brings to mind vivid images of lousy quality cannabis. Cannabis grown with the ignorance and greed of prohibition.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I love the word, marijuana. But, I'm an outlaw. I love, pot, weed, boo, shit, grass. refer, dope (my fav) and every other word we used for the past 50 years.

I hate the word cannabis. It's the new word all the pussies use to refer to their "MEDICINE". BWAAAAAAHAHAHAH. I love these guys that say they, "MEDICATE" throughout the day. Dude, you're a fucking stoner. LMAO You were a stoner in the 60's and you're a stoner, now. LMAO

Medicate. LMAO Putui Fucking bunch of stoners hiding behind the mama's skirt of the 'medication' craze.

FUCK CANNABIS, LONG LIVE MARIJUANA

You asked for opinions. I'm certain mine will be unique but.... you asked. LOL

MedFaced

I love the word, marijuana. But, I'm an outlaw. I love, pot, weed, boo, shit, grass. refer, dope (my fav) and every other word we used for the past 50 years.

I hate the word cannabis. It's the new word all the pussies use to refer to their "MEDICINE". BWAAAAAAHAHAHAH. I love these guys that say they, "MEDICATE" throughout the day. Dude, you're a fucking stoner. LMAO You were a stoner in the 60's and you're a stoner, now. LMAO

Medicate. LMAO Putui Fucking bunch of stoners hiding behind the mama's skirt of the 'medication' craze.

:laughing:

I don’t know, man. Calling it medicine, I got to witness a Torrance superior court judge order a crooked DA to return all my seized equipment and what where then dead plants. It was a sublime feeling and those terms I still use with great affection...and hints of sarcasm. :biggrin:

But I get it, marijuana has sentimental value for many of us.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!

Why don't you say what's really on your mind AH :tiphat:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
I call it weed, herb( or 'erb), ganja and sativa.
Used also marijuana but this reminds me always at
"after doing 3 marihuana my son died"

'Boogieman'

I agree 100%.

imakandi

i like you:huggg:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
All of you need to seek out the services of a qualified mental health care professional. Call them immediately and tell them it's an emergency. Just tell them you agreed with something Ringodoggie said and they will get you in right away. LOL

I must say, I am surprised.

Some books claims that word marijuana is sometimes linked to racism and generally to bad history / things. Would you buy something from the brand which has this word in it's name? Or you don't care?

Share your thoughts.
I don't refer to cannabis as my medicine, despite the fact that I am only allowed to grow it as medicine and use it frequently, but I do prefer to call it 'cannabis', 'pot' or 'weed' rather than 'marijuana'.

I understand the origins of the term marijuana, and I don't like it because of the negative social connotations that the word has. I live in a conservative area, and folks seem to be more willing to learn about 'cannabis' than 'marijuana'. I've introduced a number of folks to cannabis since legalization (and re-introduced some older folks) and changed quite a few of their opinions. It's a unique thing that people around here aren't as interested in having a conversation about 'marijuana'.

Fun fact, word Marijuana is mostly searched in the States and Australia. Canada and UK are more into cannabis.
That is a fun fact!

When searching for grow-related things, I generally use 'marijuana' as a keyword, rather than 'cannabis'. Prohibition has been around for so long that I feel like most cannabis growing articles have been indexed with 'marijuana'. I get better search results

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well, it is what it is.

Everyone so far has had valid points.

As far as mine, I take no offense to any word (especially the most famous one, marijuana) referring to Cannabis Sativa of the "drug" or "medicnal" variety, not the varieties known as "hemp" which until recently were used for fiber and seeds, only now is it being grown as "medicine" for it's CBD.

I'd like an explanataion for why, in Mexico, it is spelled "mariguana" now. I thought it was supposed to be marijuana, which would translate to Mary Jane. Also, in other latin american countries it is usually spelled "marihuana" so the three different spelling variations of what in english is "marijuana" confuse me, and I'd be interested if anyone can explain why.

For many, marijuana IS medicine, hence the term medical marijuana, mmj, etc... I wasn't aware of any ongoing controversy of the word, but I personally usually call it Cannabis, not to be politcally correct, because I am far from a SJW, and I usually speak politically incorrect amongst like minded individuals, as I don't give a fuck, but I do respect others, so I would never intentionally say something un PC to someone I knew would get offended.

I call it a variety of things, depending on the context of the conversation I'm having. You'll find me here talking about "buds", you'll see me throw around the word "weed", I've already just thrown around the term "medical marijuana", and in context to what "bud" I'm smoking, if I know the strain name, I will refer to it as that, for example when I'm video chatting with friends, we usually ask each other what we're smoking on, and the person will tell me the strain, if they know, and I will do the same, if I know.

But again I mainly call it Cannabis, perhaps not on ICMAG, but in my personal life. I am a medical marijuana patient, and have been diagnosed (not self diagnosed) PTSD, major depression, OCD, and anxiety. But to me, I don't care much about getting high, or medicating or whatever you call it. That part of consuming cannabis to relieve my symptoms and to also use it for philosophical reasons and enhance music and movies, and everything else, as well as being a part of the "cannabis community", and I guess from listening to a lot of Kottonmouth Kings songs, and always hearing about the High Times Cannabis Cup, and again, the fact that it's Cannabis Sativa, and the sub varieties, etc... I am more interested in the science behind the plant, the breeding, the history, the stories, learning as much as I can, seperating myth from fact, researching constantly, and as others have pointed out that the general public are much more willing to be educated about "cannabis" than marijuana, at least those who still have the negative connotation with the word marijuana, and it being associated with hard drugs.

I don't give a fuck what people choose to calll it, so if, for example, I saw a T-Shirt, or Coffee Cup, or any other thing I justified buying, and it had the word "marijuana" on it, if I liked it, I'd buy it. I would not be offended by the word.

Hell, one of my favorite songs is "Wacky Tobacky" by Toby Keith, that's another old term that I'm sure some people think is negative. I also love the song "Marijuana" by Brian Robbins (although in the late 90s, early 2000s and still to this day, it is sometimes falsely labeled as being a Phish song).

I also love songs such as "Kush" by Lil Wayne, where he simply tells us he smokes that kush, and balls like swoosh.

The only thing that offends me, is that cannabis or whatever you want to call it remains illegal in many parts of the world, due to racism and misinformation and a money making agenda against its legality. The fact that many have been imprisoned throughout the decades upon decades offends me.

Call it what you want, just don't call it evil, that's how I see it.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
to each his own but i tend to feel like marihuana (thats the spelling the cannadian government uses) does not show this amazing plant the respect it deserves. cannabis feels right but at the same time i for one would be open to a new label for it. for the record i often use other terms for it but i honestly cant remember if i ever referred to it as marijuana and if i did it was a long time ago in a galaxy not so far away.

soil margin

Veteran
In Cali I’ve never heard or seen ANYONE refer to it as cannabis or marijuana. Nearly 100% of people call it just weed.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
It was usually spelled with a "j" not an "h". Which version did the prohibitionists use? Mary J we've all heard, not so much Mary H.

And what's wrong with "weed"? easy to spell IMO.

hayday

Veteran
In a clinical or business setting,call it Cannabis. At home it's weed,pot and marijuana.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In Cali I’ve never heard or seen ANYONE refer to it as cannabis or marijuana. Nearly 100% of people call it just weed.
:laughing:
I lived in Cali for a few years, and almost without exception, I would also call what I found there 'weed.'

I hear it's getting better. lol :)

Latest posts

Latest posts