Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Concentrates > New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Thread Title Search
New extraction technique? Rosin tech? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2020, 04:18 PM #4661
EsterEssence

EsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivorEsterEssence is a survivor
I usually press hash powder ‘kief” between 180 and 220, i don’t get much off gassing of the terps. I remember 5 years ago, yes it’s been 5 years the first time I did the drip tech with the hair iron in the vise having the rosin run into the trench of parchment, there was a bunch of off gassing of the terps when I released the vice, but the hair iron was around 280* on the lowest setting. We sure have come a long way with technology for rosin making...

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 PM #4662
Hashmasta-Kut
honey oil addict

Hashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud of
5 years and 5 months for me. I switched to heat press march 7 2015.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:07 PM #4663
Hashmasta-Kut
honey oil addict

Hashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeoneup View Post
I get about the same flavor from rosin from nug pressed at 165f for 90 seconds as I do rosin pressed at 220 for 20 seconds. I get a better yield from the 220 20 sec press and the consistency is better for me.

My rosin has more flavor then a jar of crystalline with liquid terps dumped on it. The flavor sticks around after the smokes gone...

My settings 220f for 20 seconds with about 1200lbs of pressure.

that wont be the same for all strains. Some stuff darkens very fast even at lower temps. For that strain you pressed it works like that, but there is high variability in decomposition speed versus temperature and time.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:33 AM #4664
blazeoneup
The Helpful One

blazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond reputeblazeoneup has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashmasta-Kut View Post
that wont be the same for all strains. Some stuff darkens very fast even at lower temps. For that strain you pressed it works like that, but there is high variability in decomposition speed versus temperature and time.
All strains from my experience do produce slightly different color variations however I haven't seen any of the strains I've pressed produce what I would consider dark oil. I've probably pressed 40-60 different strains so not the most experienced but out of those strains none produced what I consider dark oil.

I have had friends bring over old material which produced dark oils.

I suspect the age of the material has a lot to do with the color and that if your producing really dark oil pressing fresh flowers then the quality of the flower is probably suspect or you exceeded 220f or left the material on the heat for longer then 30 seconds. Just what my experience has shown me. To each their own!

I prefer higher temp lower contact time over lower temp longer contact time. Gives me the quality I desire. I'm not big on the waxy consistency another to each their own.

Keep it clean, keep it green!
If there's ever anything I can help with, feel free to pm me!
blazeoneup is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:50 AM #4665
Hashmasta-Kut
honey oil addict

Age has more to do with it than heat, but prolonged heat will darken different strains extract differently, and with different flavor degradation results.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:00 AM #4666
Prodigygrower

Prodigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud ofProdigygrower has much to be proud of
I found that 178 for 100 seconds gave me the best results. Although I will try the high heat less time next round. I use 7 grams in the nug smasher in a 160 mesh bag. The prep work is so important getting them pressed into even pucks into the bag makes a world of difference. My ave pull has been 20 to 25 percent each run. I did press the pucks a second time at 212 this time and ended up with another gram of darker product. It was still gassy af but had more of a burnt taste. Any one have tips on pressing bubble? I just ordered some ice extract bags imma run my last harvest trim soon. Any way here are some pics of the last run the darker one is the second press. I love rosin once you press good organic herb you’ve grown it changes you lol cheers guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BA6EEF0-4D7E-45AC-90A8-25F34E6AFBC2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	544009 Click image for larger version

Name:	CAED22BF-5B63-43B2-98A6-05E3396162D0.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	544010 Click image for larger version

Name:	76080619-7D3F-47A4-B34F-095A6A2B28C3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	544011 Click image for larger version

Name:	99CC3921-48E6-432F-BC42-E1BBC3C4BBCF.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	544012
Prodigygrower is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 PM #4667
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivor
Yep, different colors from different strains.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosinstash.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	544021

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:42 PM #4668
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
Press bubble slowly. It's important to let the material warm up before applying pressure. Once the top plate contacts apply one more stroke and wait for the filter to grease up. Then painfully slowly apply more pressure as you see the flow start.

Last edited by Mikell; 08-07-2020 at 03:06 PM..
Mikell is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:54 AM #4669
sturgeongeneral

sturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivorsturgeongeneral is a survivor
So for live rosin what seems to be the consensus on temp and duration ? 160 bags?? Trying my hand at rosin for the first time on a rosin tech smash.
sturgeongeneral is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:22 PM #4670
OG_NoMan

OG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant futureOG_NoMan has a brilliant future
Every year I try to invest back into myself at fall harvest something to make the following year easier and or cheaper. Just ordered a 4 ton dabpress that should be here Friday. Can't wait to join the club

Hey @sturgeongeneral,
How did your live rosin turn out?
OG_NoMan is offline Quote