What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosaic virus and Cannabis, Chem D etc...

spurr

Veteran
Hey...sorry, that response was for "Spur" who decided to insult me...

Huh? If you feel so insulted I apologize. I was merely pointing out not a single PhD I know, or have ever corresponded with, would use the writing style you used; no matter how informal the situation. I know of very few laypersons who would use that kind of writing style at a cannabis forum 'out of the gate' (at least here and Mr.Nice forums).

We have had more than a couple of people claiming to have PhDs lately appear in this subforum. Most of whom I suspect do not have a PhD, especially those that feel they need to list all their (claimed) accomplishments. Forgive me if I use a persons writing style and claims as a means to judge their truthfulness. Again, I am sorry if you feel I attacked you, I do not feel I did, but I apologize if you feel that way. I do know many people that have a PhD (or two), fwiw; I know some rather dim witted PhDs and some very bright PhDs.

Honestly, I was a bit put off by the aggression and boisterousness in your first post. Trust me when I write that we have some very smart and educated people at this site, and especially in this subforum.

... rather than ask questions
I did ask you to elaborate on how you tested, something you did not do in your first post. You merely wrote you used "ELISA assay" (which seems a bit redundant, no?) without any further elaboration. I did not have any questions for you besides asking you to elaborate on how you tested.

The ELISA I used was from Agadia and covered the most commonly tested viruses in agriculture. "Spur" listed the test when he insulted me and questioned my having a Ph.D. because I used "many exclaimations, caps, etc... I guess he thinks all Ph.D.'s must use perfect scientific writing for a pot website as if I were to be reviewed by my peers in immunology. Writing scientific papers takes up most of my life and I prefer not to write in that strict style on a marijuana website or in regular life for that matter.
I simply asked you how you tested with ELISA, thank you for telling us what you claimed to have done. And yes, zero PhDs I know, or have ever read from, would use caps (which is equivalent to yelling with text) and more than one (or two at the most) exclamation points in a single post (let alone for many words). If you think that not using caps and not using excessive exclamation points qualifies as "perfect scientific writing" we disagree on what constitutes scientific writing. Once again, I am sorry that you are so offended, but really, yelling so much in your posts and using so many exclamation points does very little to backup your claim that you have PhD and many patients, at least to me.

My post to you was not meant to be rude or insulting, I am merely suspicious of anyone who likes to claim they have a PhD as a means to convince people. I was interested in how you claimed to have tested with ELISA, so I asked you to elaborate.

:ying:

@ all:

To anyone who has Chem-D and thinks it has some type of MV (be it TMV, etc.), it would very useful if you could test the plant and report your findings.

:tiphat:

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
I'm pleased that someone has been doing some proper testing to delve into TMV and Cannabis. It's a real shame you don't have a Chem D cut exhibiting the 'symptoms' to test, in order to put the matter to bed once and for all.

FWIW I have recently grown out a clone with a healthy dose of ChemD in it, a selection of Karma's HappyChem, and saw a few of the 'symptoms' myself. Like many described in this thread, the plant simply seemed to stop doing it once established and growing well.

Hey...sorry, that response was for "Spur" who decided to insult me rather than ask questions.

I have not tested Chem D as I don't have that strain but have tested the following;

Lemon Skunk (GH)
Bubba Kush (Dr. Greenthumb)
Hawaiin Snow (GH)
Blueberry (Paridise)
Hashberry (Mandalla)
Endless Sky (Dr. Greenthumb)
Cheese (GH)
White Rhino (GH)
JJ gold (Dr. Greenthumb)

as well as several F1 Hybrids of the above. NONE were positive but all were exhibiting symptoms described and pictured in the TMV threads on this site. One thread showed normal variations in color and leaf geometry but this person was claiming they were all examples of TMV infection without performing a single test for virus. To do this has probably caused many on this site to destroy plants and gut grow facilities NEEDLESSLY! Unless you have a positive test showing the presence of virus, you CANNOT conclude that there is a TMV infection or any other plant virus for that matter.

The ELISA I used was from Agadia and covered the most commonly tested viruses in agriculture. "Spur" listed the test when he insulted me and questioned my having a Ph.D. because I used "many exclaimations, caps, etc... I guess he thinks all Ph.D.'s must use perfect scientific writing for a pot website as if I were to be reviewed by my peers in immunology. Writing scientific papers takes up most of my life and I prefer not to write in that strict style on a marijuana website or in regular life for that matter.

FWIW I have recently grown out a clone with a healthy dose of ChemD in it, a selection of Karma's HappyChem, and saw a few of the 'symptoms' myself. Like many described in this thread, the plant simply seemed to stop doing it once established and growing well.

i think that the TMV is not a big problem for hemp plants. only if the plant is poorly-selected or if the plant is weakened by diseases such as powdery mildew or by pests , the TMV can become a problem.

M

machinehead83

This is to Spur.....You clearly do not know many Ph.D's... and to question someones credentials without knowing them based on their writing style on here is insulting. I could care less what you think and wrote the original post to warn people on here from following advice from someone who doesn't have a clue. Obviosly you are a real piece of work as shown by your latest response and are one of the many losers on here who cannot take the fact that there are people who decided to educate themselves and spend years in school to help people rather than smoke their faces off on a daily basis.

All I did was post a message and state facts to prevent others from taking BAD (notice the caps again) advice from clueless people. You decided to immediately start making judgements and questioning my years of work to get my degree. I'd give you my name and publications but I'd never trust someone like you on here! I'm done with you!! (notice the exclaimation marks, maybe you'd like to say something more about that). You aren't the first dickhead that many of us have run into on this site, nor do I think you will be the last. Why don't you crawl back into your basement and smoke up!

Last edited:
M

Mountain

I have not tested Chem D as I don't have that strain but have tested the following;

The ELISA I used was from Agadia and covered the most commonly tested viruses in agriculture.
As for the list you tested I would not expect TMV to show up because I don't think anything genetic lines used in creating them is suspect for TMV except maybe the Bubba but that's probably stretching things a bit.

There's been other threads about TMV with some, if I'm remembering correctly, saying it cannot exist in cannabis. I see that Tom Hill hasn't posted in this thread yet and know he had some pretty definitive things to say about the subject. If you have access to ELISA kits get a known infected cut of Chem D or at least what some say is showing signs of TMV.

As for ELISA...lol...man they are notoriously inaccurate for what I used to deal with. This was not for any viral related issue though. My experience has been extensive and the difference well-to-well and plate-to-plate can be significant. The difference in results can be huge when using a different batch of plates from the manufacturer and that's with a known standard! I've also seen major issues with false positives that were confirmed using both HPLC and GC Mass Spec. I'd say exactly what compound I've dealt with but very specific to some of the work I've done in the past.

M

Mountain

You merely wrote you used "ELISA assay" (which seems a bit redundant, no?) without any further elaboration.

To anyone who has Chem-D and thinks it has some type of MV (be it TMV, etc.), it would very useful if you could test the plant and report your findings.
As for the second part first...I believe there is someone here who had a sample of Chem D, which was suspected to be infected with TMV, tested at UC Davis through the back door and it came back negative. I think Trinity Gold may know who that member is.

As for the first part...if you wanna be nit picky and impose how you see things should be communicated I felt that the term 'ELISA assay' was fine in the context of considering the general viewer of that information and not the 5-10 trained scientists here reading what was posted as it qualified 'ELISA' as a testing method without having to go into any description of what ELISA is. If peeps are so interested they can Google or simply ask. There was no need IMO to try and make Machinehead 'wrong' (redundancy) and instead a polite follow up expanding on what ELISA is explaining it in more detail to possibly help others would have been more appropriate and more constructive...IMO.

spurr

Veteran
Mountain,

VG has mentioned many times that *supposedly* someone with chem D had it tested (maybe the breeder), yet know no one has proof or is coming forward to claim it as true. Thus I suggested if anyone with the Chem D that they think has MV had it tested, it would be useful for them to post here.

To your second paragraph: How about you not follow me around in each post I make with other members in disagreement (i.e., how about you not 'pig pile')? You did it here, you did it with highonmt's thread, and you have done it with others. It's obvious you are holding a grudge over our last encounter, when I showed you that you were wrong after you were being a jerk, just let it go will you? Also, I find it odd you try to chastise me while doing the very thing you accuse me of ;)

The reason I wrote "ELISA assay" was redundant is because the poster is claiming to have a PhD; my point goes to his/her creditability. I make it no secret that I am suspicious of anyone claiming they have a PhD as a means to convince people of their position. ELISA means 'Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay' (as I wrote on page 2); thus the poster wrote: "Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay Assay"; does not not seem redundant to you?

OK, now you have had your third (incorrect) dig at me, can you just let it go?

a polite follow up expanding on what ELISA is explaining it in more detail to possibly help others would have been more appropriate and more constructive...IMO.
FWIW, I was the only one so for to write out what ELISA means and to describe the test, on page 2. Please, just stop trying to hold a grudge, because you are pretty crappy at it :)

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mosaic virus and Cannabis, Chem D etc...

I am pretty sure i read a post of Crazy Composers that explained when he was passed the D from Chemdog that Chemdog mentioned the cut has the mosiac virus... Im not in a spot to search and link but maybe when i get back to the casa ill locate the post...

Also i want to say that there had been posts (from bageldj or ****** maybe?) explaining that it was tested at a UC and was positive for the mosiac virus...

Id love to be wrong.... Wouldnt be the first time
Aloha

M

Mountain

How about you not follow me around in each post I make with other members in disagreement
LOL...if that's what you think I'm doing you're a bit delusional.

explaining that it was tested at a UC and was positive for the mosiac virus
Bageldj rings a bell. I searched that user name and not here any more? I thought the test was negative but glad, at least, we remember the event I posted about even though we don't agree on the outcome.

Well if an ELISA test can confirm the existence, or lack thereof, of TMV in a cut of Chem D it should be pretty easy for someone to check out.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The test is back and is negative. I have the real deal chem d cut, and good TMV test kits. Again my results are negative :)

See how quick that was, 10 min, get some TMV test strips in your fridge!

This is not the chem d test, but a picture of a test from my grap bogglegum. This is what a negative looks like. You can order these strips form here:

http://www.agdia.com/testing-services/index.cfm

Here is the picture of a negative test, again, from another strain but a great example of what I just did with chem d:

picture.php

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bageldj rings a bell. I searched that user name and not here any more? I thought the test was negative but glad, at least, we remember the event I posted about even though we don't agree on the outcome.

im glad i remember however vaguely, too. :tiphat:
was it one of those chemdog threads that got binned maybe?
it was a while ago.

PK - test that shit homie what are you waiting for? hahaha
do please let us knwo the resutls and post any pics that'd be awesome man

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^

Case solved? So I would say the cut does not carry it, but that doesn't mean someone didn't infect it and pass the cut now infected. I say if you think any strains have it, buy these strips. I needed for one use and got 4 extra test for future use, down to three now!