What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weird mold or mildew on support stake

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If it's not one thing, it's another right? Threw down a liberty haze in some Stonington Blend soil and everything looking good, except I have this weird fuzz that started growing up my support stake. The SB has Glomus intraradices in it, but I have no idea what that ends up looking like so I immediately pulled the stake and trashed it after taking a few pics. Is this bad? Should I just trash this one and start over? Or is this just normal Mycorrhizae growth? Thanks ya'll.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would (trash, CLEAN, start over)....why introduce that to a seedling? Doesn't appear to be 'Mycorrhizae growth'

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I have never done any soil grow so I honestly have no idea, but it matches some of the pictures I can find of Mycorrhizae
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4943832&postcount=2
matches as does a bunch other. It seems to be impossible to find pictures specific to Glomus intraradices though, so I can't positively identify it. I am definitely leaning towards tossing that one, but I honestly have no idea if I have a helpful fungal infection or a harmful one, and if it's helpful it would be a shame to waste a seed.

therevverend

Veteran
Yeah that's mycelium or mycrorrhizae. The living body of a mushroom that lives underground. The mushrooms you see above ground are the fruiting body(flower or sex organs) of the true body of the fungus that lives below ground.
Do what you will, I haven't heard of harmful types and many are beneficial. They break the minerals and other nutrients into a form the plant can digest.
I'd take it as a sign you have good healthy soil. You'd have to nuke all your dirt to get rid of it. And no reason to do that. A lot of dirt companies purposefully add that stuff to their mixes. Most Dr. Earth products contain mycrorrhizae.
https://www.micropia.nl/en/discover/microbiology/mycelium/#gref

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Okay, I'll keep an eye on it, the stonington blend has mycrorrhizae which is what I thought I was seeing, but I have literally zero experience in soil, so I thought I'd ask you guys since the collective knowledge here is encyclopedic. It won't be going into my tent proper until these other 2 finish anyway, I am not risking anything this late in flower. Appreciate all the responses guys.
:thank you:

therevverend

Veteran
I've seen white mold and it's nasty but I haven't heard of it growing in dirt. All molds are white until they drop their spores. Because they're mycelium. Once the spores drop you figure out if it's grey, black, or whatever. Doubt it would stain something that white without leaving spores all over it. Which would turn black or whatever. Since the soil company inoculated with good fungus that's what would dominate.
I've had grey mold all over the top of dirt I've left sitting for a few months. I mixed the dirt up well and it disappeared. Used it to grow my plants with no problems. I assume it was full of nutrients and the plant gobbled it up. I'd think mold on top is bad because the spores could infect the flowers. I'm guessing inside the soil with low oxygen other fungus will break it down.
I've also seen salt deposits that look like that from phosphate fertilizers. A good way to test if something is a salt deposit is to put it in water. It will dissolve if it's salt.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Great info thanks man. :thank you:I have some coco pots that are getting the salt buildup on the bottoms, it doesn't look too much like that, it's too "hairy" and like filament to be salts. I'm gonna keep an eye on it, the last thing I wanna do is put anything into my tent which is gonna cause me to wipe it down with bleach. I'm too lazy for that :biggrin:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That stick looks awesome!

You can use it to innoculate any medium you've got with beneficial mycorhizal fungi!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That stick looks awesome!

You can use it to innoculate any medium you've got with beneficial mycorhizal fungi!

Rad thanks! I wonder how it works in coco? Wold it have enough nutrients from the added nutrients? Since I mean coco has no inherent nutrients. Oh and after a quick google looks like a thread here at icmag from 2008 talked about just that. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=89195 I might have to try this for my next coco grow, just add a bit of the stonington blend in and let it work it's magic.