What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hurricane Irma, Category 5 and heading for Florida!..BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

ronbo51

Veteran
https://www.tampabay.com/

Tampa Bay Times for on-the-ground type coverage.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/weath...g-room-man-accepts-wifes-challenge-to/2336892

And it wasn't even a classic Z.

Hurricane Irma Surf Reports
https://new.surfline.com/surf-news/...ng-surf-fl-lingering-fun-surf-northeast/10059

Cocoa Beach, Florida - Surf report
https://magicseaweed.com/Cocoa-Beach-Surf-Report/350/

Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
https://magicseaweed.com/Cape-Hatteras-Surf-Report/399/

Further from the storm, better waves.

Wave Height plot. 40 feet seas 10 miles from Miami - WHOA !

View Image

We have been watching the swell from Irma since it came off Africa as a wave. Surfline predicted it to the minute. It's astounding the accuracy of the wave reports. A three thousand mile long wave has a lot of power by the time it crashes on Folly Beach in SC. Before the wind kicked up on Friday there were big, clean seven foot faces. It was quite a bit of fun as it was the highest waves I have ever ridden. Yesterday and today it became a big mess, but they are already talking about the swell caused by Jose right behind it.

For two weeks we had the bullseye painted on us as all the models showed the east coast of Florida getting whacked then up to us as a still major storm. It has been an incredibly stressful last week or so. We have 20 retail locations, 80 employees, a warehouse, an ether mine, millions on the line and we were forecast with up to 25 feet storm surge as late as Friday morning, when it all began to shift westward. Last night we went out and I got fairly drunk and mighty stoned on my Tangie, as the stress melted and the feeling of relief shuddered through my old bones.

I know exactly the feeling of inevitability that these poor bastards in Florida are going through. You just do your preps, execute your plan, batten down and ride it out or leave. That's all you can do. The rest is out of our hands.

Good luck to everyone in Irma's path.

I live on a tidal creek. At today's high tide the water came within inches of the road outside my neighborhood. That's with a two foot tide surge. We are supposed to get 3-6 feet at tonight's and tomorrow's high tide. Think about that. The storm is on the west side of Florida and Charleston will get 6 feet. Crazy. Fucking ocean. Big juju.

Satyros

Sorry m8 could you please elaborate on what your construction people told you. After Andrew in 91 fl went to some of the strictest building codes in the country specifically in regards to wind ratings. Another homestead will NEVER happen again in Fl. I'm not sure if anywhere else in the country requires impact glass. Also not sure if anywhere else in the country requires or inspects truss to tie beam strapping. Also MOST infrastructure is ran underground to prevent massive long term power outages.

Anyhow in ft Myers waiting this bitch out with wife due Tuesday and a 14 month old. Good luck to anybody still here

I can't answer specifically for modern code in Florida. Probably the main basis for my statement comes from sheetrockers. They know perfectly well that sheetrock can't stand up to any abuse; but, unless tons of money are spent on a place, that's your interior wall. So because its (1) pretty much in everything, and (2) ruined if any major damage happens, they're quite happy to make repairs to a standing structure, or replace the total losses.

There probably are a bunch of things in America that can handle a category 1, however, I'm sort of comparing that to say, buildings in France that can take 200 years of Mistral wind and lose a few roof tiles. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe the vast majority of U. S. houses would not be acceptably strong for German code, where they probably get some decent storms but not hurricanes.

Florida as a whole, and anyone with a vast fortune, can have something a little stronger, but it would seem to be a reasonable assessment that a large portion of U. S. coastal areas still have a significant number of average houses and mobile homes that have a grim outlook versus any powerful hurricane.

igrowone

Veteran
watching the radar track irma seems to have come ashore at naples
looking like they took the direct hit, not going to be pretty in naples

Badfishy1

I can't answer specifically for modern code in Florida. Probably the main basis for my statement comes from sheetrockers. They know perfectly well that sheetrock can't stand up to any abuse; but, unless tons of money are spent on a place, that's your interior wall. So because its (1) pretty much in everything, and (2) ruined if any major damage happens, they're quite happy to make repairs to a standing structure, or replace the total losses.

There probably are a bunch of things in America that can handle a category 1, however, I'm sort of comparing that to say, buildings in France that can take 200 years of Mistral wind and lose a few roof tiles. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe the vast majority of U. S. houses would not be acceptably strong for German code, where they probably get some decent storms but not hurricanes.

Florida as a whole, and anyone with a vast fortune, can have something a little stronger, but it would seem to be a reasonable assessment that a large portion of U. S. coastal areas still have a significant number of average houses and mobile homes that have a grim outlook versus any powerful hurricane.

Ahhhh got ya... everything euro is amazing murica is but 3rd world. So third world my lady and children are watching the hurricane on television as they are being smashed. Damn i hope murica will catch up to EU at some point. Cool story bro.

Last edited:

Badfishy1

watching the radar track irma seems to have come ashore at naples
looking like they took the direct hit, not going to be pretty in naples

Landed specifically on cape Romano. Sure parts of Naples are flooded ATM. Marco has flooding reports, however there is very little info coming out of Marco. Estero/ Ft. Myers are currently getting licked by eye wall

B

bigganjabud

My love, healing thoughts and positive rays to all involved

The way things are going I'm more or less convinced that the haarp conspiracy seems to becoming more of a reality?

Please stay safe people

Namestae

St. Phatty

Can't help but wonder -
how many of those folks in Tampa are sitting there in candlelight, drinking shots of Jager meister and playing cards ?

oh well hope they have some decent weed.

Maybe this storm will inspire Florida to legalize cuz they need the tourist & tax $$.

Badfishy1

Can't help but wonder -
how many of those folks in Tampa are sitting there in candlelight, drinking shots of Jager meister and playing cards ?

oh well hope they have some decent weed.

Maybe this storm will inspire Florida to legalize cuz they need the tourist & tax $$.

Lol @ inspire legalization. Big pharma is doing quite well and they don't want competition

oldchuck

Veteran
Big bud, what is the "haarp conspiracy." I never heard of it.

Already the debate has started about whether Harvey was worse than Irma and it ain't even over yet. People are nuts.

alpo

Irma won't live up to the hype of Harvey.
Harvey moved at one mph and sat over the 4th largest city in the USA.
Irma is now a category 2
The biggest damage Irma will do is power outage; 3 million without power right now.

Buckeyebandit

lights starting to flicker so not long now till the generators are used. outer bands are getting on us here. get back on when i can to update

W

Water-

Bhavatu sabba-maṅgalaṃ
Rakkhantu sabba-devatā

May there be every blessing. May all heavenly beings protect you.

Sabba-buddhānubhāvena
Sadā sotthī bhavantu te.

Through the power of all the Buddhas, may you always be well.

Badfishy1

Just got home, all trees around house are blown down. Won't have power for weeks. A little water in the house. All in all guess we came out alright.

Floridian

Veteran
Damn Badfisy I wish you were as lucky as me,it didn't much here in North Tampa,a few fallen trees nothing major at all,I was expecting much much worse.We never even lost power in Carrolwood but most friends I've talked to just a few miles away did and its still out for many.I was expecting a punch in the face but it turned out more of a bitchslap

Badfishy1

Damn Badfisy I wish you were as lucky as me,it didn't much here in North Tampa,a few fallen trees nothing major at all,I was expecting much much worse.We never even lost power in Carrolwood but most friends I've talked to just a few miles away did and its still out for many.I was expecting a punch in the face but it turned out more of a bitchslap

Luckily my lady and daughter went to her parents and they didn't lose power. But yeah no lights or ac for me for a few weeks ugh

Latest posts

Latest posts