What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical vs Flat Lighting for Autos

MXM

Hey guys,

I just finished up my 1st vertical grow in a 6x6x6 tent with 600w veg & 1000w flower and was pretty happy with how it came out. I'm switching from DWC to hempys.

I was planning to convert the tent to high output T5s with some moms on 1 side and some autos on the other with my regular photoperiod plants in a bigger space.

However I like the fast turn around autoflowers have and think I might go full auto for my next run so I don't have to wait so long between harvest, I'm just trying to figure out a light set up.

Do autos perform in well vertical or are they better suited for horizontal? If so are HIDs better or can I get a decent yield from the right fluorescents?

Speed of green

I think an autoflower will reach its full potential no matter what direction the light is coming from, but your vert setup will not reach its full potential with autoflowers.

I think the benefit of a vertical grow comes from being able to train the plant into a shape that compliments your light pattern (donut/stadium/tree)

Not being able to manipulate the plant in veg stage like with an autoflower may result in a poor performing plant depending on your lighting style.

I think with a stadium you would be best off, for a donut i think your yield would suffer, unless you packed them in there.

This is all just speculation, based on my very little knowledge of auto's it could be misinformation.

HID's are nice, what are your goals?

Good luck.