What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking about Trying my First Energy Drink.

810FireFarm

my bro said we should all do like 5 jumping jacks followed immediately by some quick air punching and a yell "wooooooooo" like Rick Flair

lol it works! im wide awake

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Every try Kombucha? Generally a low caffeine drink but the alkalizing effect it has on the body makes it seem more.

I brew VERY strong tea and turn it into kombucha myself. A gallon of kombucha usually takes 6 tea bags like Lipton, while I use around 10. Same 1 cup of sugar though. You can buy a scoby online or buy a plain kombucha like GT's or Colorado Mountain Kombucha and add it to your tea.

Look it up. :)

Redbull is my drink of choice for energy. It tastes half decent and isn't overwhelming.
Yerba mata is pretty good, but I don't really consider the two to be equal as far as effect goes. Yerba is more caffeine orientated, red bull gives you wings.
Try red bull

cryptop

Every try Kombucha? Generally a low caffeine drink but the alkalizing effect it has on the body makes it seem more.

I brew VERY strong tea and turn it into kombucha myself. A gallon of kombucha usually takes 6 tea bags like Lipton, while I use around 10. Same 1 cup of sugar though. You can buy a scoby online or buy a plain kombucha like GT's or Colorado Mountain Kombucha and add it to your tea.

Look it up. :)

Is there any brand/flavor of kombucha in stores that you'd particularly recommend?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Is there any brand/flavor of kombucha in stores that you'd particularly recommend?
Well, the brands I've used are GT's and (I looked it up) High Country Kombucha. Both grow very healthy scoby's. I also picked up a scoby online from amazon, booklover888 and it was very healthy and did just as well. (edit: the scoby I picked up from bookluver888 was for "jun." Basically the same thing as kombucha, only made with green tea and honey instead.)

From my limited experience, it's the starting tea and sweetener you use, along with the fermenting temperature, which make the most difference in the end product. :)

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Didn't want to overpay for my caffeinated sugar water.

Found full size original Rock Star at Safeway, for $1.50.

Used some teeny 4 ounce cups, my first shot was about 3 ounces.

I like the taste. Didn't rag on my stomach or anything.

Effect was minor, but I did get some work done.

I'm getting burned out on working in cold and wet conditions on a steep muddy mountainside.

Anyway, today maybe I'll have 4 ounces of Rockstar, then march up the hill to go back to digging holes in the mud. :woohoo:

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
My wife is now at 4 weeks without any enegery drinks and she still has daily cravings for them.

She got hives early last year and started drinking Red Bulls and large coffees from Dutch Brothers to boost her energy levels. I asked her to start taking it easy as she is almost 40 and seeing 24 empty energy drink cans in the recycling box made me start to feel uneasy about it.

It really helped her to be able to get some work done, as the hives sapped all of her natural energy resources, but long term those things really aren't good.

Unless youre driving long distance and need to stay focused, stick to tea or coffee. Those energy companies only have 1 thing in mind... $$$$$

Last edited:

St. Phatty

My wife is now at 4 weeks without any enegery drinks and she still has daily cravings for them.

Unless youre driving long distance and need to stay focused, stick to tea or coffee. Those energy companies only have 1 thing in mind... $$$$$

Very good advice.

So far I haven't managed to drink 4 ounces in one day.

I put 4 ounces in a plastic water bottle & took that to the gym (to float in the pool).

Didn't finish it.

Same thing today, went to the shooting range because my trigger finger still works & I can carry stuff with my left arm.

I was buzzed enough, still came home with some Rockstar.

Initially it seems cool that it keeps its fizz, way better than beer & soft drinks.

But the chemicals they use to get the Perma-fizz ... wonder about that.

lots a teas actually have more caffeine than coffee...of course there are exceptions, but i would rather try some different teas with higher caffeine before a RedBullshit

I usually drink a considerable amount of coffee everyday most of it iced, it never really messes with my sleep.

Tea however I feel is a totally different type of buzz, it makes me feel wired and not be able to sleep after I drink like a 32oz natural iced tea with no sugar just lemon or something of the like.

As far as energy drinks go, I don't really drink them anymore. I used to drink red bull and rum a lot when I was younger, I can attest redbull will keep u going all night if u drink enough of it.

Try iced coffee if u haven't before, it's my energy drink of choice, other than that pick up a nice sativa. Sativa weed for me is the best energy producer, thats how my lawn gets mowed every week lol.

St. Phatty

Reading the label - 4 different kinds of Vitamin B, I guess there are 8 Vitamin B's total ...

I wonder how different it is from taking a B Vite supplement & popping 1/2 a No-Doz.

On the other hand ... the vites I take have 6 B Vites, some of them in LARGE quantites (2000+% daily requirement) ... so I'm not sure how much of the buzz comes from B vites.

Other than that ...
Guarana - natural caffeine source
Taurine
caffeine - if they add more than what the Guarana has in it.
sugar

Anyway, bought my 2nd can yesterday. Each can is lasting about 5 days.

Guess I'm a lightweight :woohoo:

"Taurine (/ˈtɔːriːn/), or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is an organic compound that is widely distributed in animal tissues.[1] It is a major constituent of bile and can be found in the large intestine"

Charming ! :biggrin:

"Taurine occurs naturally in fish and meat.[10][11][12] The mean daily intake from omnivore diets was determined to be around 58 mg (range from 9 to 372 mg) and to be low or negligible from a strict vegan diet. In another study, taurine intake was estimated to be generally less than 200 mg/day, even in individuals eating a high-meat diet. According to another study, taurine consumption was estimated to vary between 40 and 400 mg/day. [13]

Taurine is an ingredient in energy drinks. Many contain 1000 mg per serving,[14] and some as much as 2000 mg."

St. Phatty

I noticed a similar effect smoking hash oil.

I was moving some heavy equipment with someone and they were into the hash oil. Had the blowtorch, the titanium nail, etc - brought it to the job site.

It was fun and we got a lot of work done safely.

But I was a bit hung over the next day.

Latest posts

Latest posts