What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

tilopa

The man himself. :bow: Thank you for coming by and dropping some more pearls D9.

So, after you expand the blocks of "chips-n-fiber" with 1800-2000 ppm I'm assuming you don't grow with that high ppm? You rinse it and use the ppm you have always used? And do you cut it with perlite or anything?

I've been playing around with different mediums, and finding that rockwool croutons (actually called grow cubes), which are little rockwool cubes about a 1/2" in size, have very interesting properties. I know rockwool holds a lot of water but these crouton when loosely filled have quite high afp, actually this is an assumption I am making. But the little cubes bunched together have a lot of space between them. But at the same time they hold nutrient solution so the roots always have access. You cannot water very often though. Some people I know are doing very well with these. I was playing around with those cut with perlite, hydrotin, or scoria in a top feed and having good results.

I've decided to go deep with PPK though, and just bought 2 yards of pumice because that's what you last used. Wish I would have waited until I saw this post. :cuss:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
hello, everyone! just thought i would stop by and tell you guys about this stuff.

it is simply the best media i have ever used in this device.

i have tried turface, shale, diatomaceous earth, perlite, pumice, scoria, rice hulls, and coco fiber.

they all work, more or less, either blended or separate but each has it's drawbacks.

needing extensive cleaning or is very heavy or dries too fast or needs sieving. always something.

most coco is too fine for this device. but i have found this stuff to be nearly perfect because it retains excellent air filled porosity during a grow. it comes in compressed blocks that must be expanded. i use a 1800-2000 ppm jack''s/calcinit solution ph''ed to about 5.2 just for the expansion.

the plants grow very fast right from the start with no displays.

it is available online. i found arbico organics to have fair prices for small quantities but you can also buy pallets direct from prococo.

prococo.com chips and fiber

tried to upload a pic but i'm over my limit.

anyway go to prococo.com

best of luck to you all!
Hello Boss. Glad to see you again. Sorry I never called. Hope all is well with you.:headbange

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
The man himself. :bow: Thank you for coming by and dropping some more pearls D9.

So, after you expand the blocks of "chips-n-fiber" with 1800-2000 ppm I'm assuming you don't grow with that high ppm? You rinse it and use the ppm you have always used? And do you cut it with perlite or anything?

I've been playing around with different mediums, and finding that rockwool croutons (actually called grow cubes), which are little rockwool cubes about a 1/2" in size, have very interesting properties. I know rockwool holds a lot of water but these crouton when loosely filled have quite high afp, actually this is an assumption I am making. But the little cubes bunched together have a lot of space between them. But at the same time they hold nutrient solution so the roots always have access. You cannot water very often though. Some people I know are doing very well with these. I was playing around with those cut with perlite, hydrotin, or scoria in a top feed and having good results.

I've decided to go deep with PPK though, and just bought 2 yards of pumice because that's what you last used. Wish I would have waited until I saw this post. :cuss:

howdy! no, i don't even rinse it. i'm just lifting it out wet and going straight to the grow container. transplanting large, well rooted clones from the solo cup method, planting them deep. then feeding approx 900 ppm in veg. top watering about a quart every hour in 3.5 gal buckets. they grow very fast with no cec issues like some experience in coco.

nice material to work with. easy on the hands. lightweight makes disposing of it much easier. our root balls are being tilled into soil that has a heavy clay content to increase afp.

really, no prepping other than expanding it. cheap, fast, simple, easy!

also, it is helping to control ph. probably tannic acid as it stains the solution a light brown. but i was immediately able to drop about 1/3 of my usual phoshoric acid dose using calcined shale.

the plants love it. immediate aggressive rooting and lush green growth.

later

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hello Boss. Glad to see you again. Sorry I never called. Hope all is well with you.:headbange

hey buddy! i turn 70 next month! just when i thought i was gonna celebrate by going out to some clubs and hooking up with some gorgeous young babe this coronavirus shit has to hit and put a crimp in my style.

translation: sick old man scared of getting this nasty shit is keeping his old ass at home on his birthday because his wife will beat the crap out of him if he goes out without permission.

take care of yourself and good to hear from you!

tilopa

howdy! no, i don't even rinse it. i'm just lifting it out wet and going straight to the grow container. transplanting large, well rooted clones from the solo cup method, planting them deep. then feeding approx 900 ppm in veg. top watering about a quart every hour in 3.5 gal buckets. they grow very fast with no cec issues like some experience in coco.

nice material to work with. easy on the hands. lightweight makes disposing of it much easier. our root balls are being tilled into soil that has a heavy clay content to increase afp.

really, no prepping other than expanding it. cheap, fast, simple, easy!

also, it is helping to control ph. probably tannic acid as it stains the solution a light brown. but i was immediately able to drop about 1/3 of my usual phoshoric acid dose using calcined shale.

the plants love it. immediate aggressive rooting and lush green growth.

later
Thanks mate. I just ordered a couple blocks online. Are you using perlite or hydroton in the tailpiece? And is it a 4 or 5 inch gap.
Thanks again.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Thanks mate. I just ordered a couple blocks online. Are you using perlite or hydroton in the tailpiece? And is it a 4 or 5 inch gap.
Thanks again.

we are using the coco in the tailpiece and running a 4" air gap and the plants look great! a quart every hour into a 3.5 gal bucket.

no signs of too much water, no yellowing or curling. leaves out flat and perfect.

every one using ppk's should try this stuff. after 11 years of searching i have finally found the ideal substrate.

later

420ish

we are using the coco in the tailpiece and running a 4" air gap and the plants look great! a quart every hour into a 3.5 gal bucket.

no signs of too much water, no yellowing or curling. leaves out flat and perfect.

every one using ppk's should try this stuff. after 11 years of searching i have finally found the ideal substrate.

later
if i try this out on only one or two containers ,do you think it will cause any problems between the two different mediums?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
if i try this out on only one or two containers ,do you think it will cause any problems between the two different mediums?
1st you must have multiple control buckets for each 'different' container (bucket). As long as you will run multiple control buckets, medium would make no difference. To sum it up, except for the volume rez, you would need to run a fully separate ppk system for the buckets (containers) that are different. Feed timing and pump size could become an issue.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey buddy! i turn 70 next month! just when i thought i was gonna celebrate by going out to some clubs and hooking up with some gorgeous young babe this coronavirus shit has to hit and put a crimp in my style.

translation: sick old man scared of getting this nasty shit is keeping his old ass at home on his birthday because his wife will beat the crap out of him if he goes out without permission.

take care of yourself and good to hear from you!

coco in the tub also as in the tailpiece? man im still only using screened turface. but i do other things differently from pure ppk too

i like it alot but may give one plant in that coco a try. do u still find a tailpiece swap needed sometimes?

id need to be really impressed to switch tho. love the turface. i rarely even see one (1) nat in an entire nld grow

good seeing you Snook and D9!

Gry

Still sifting floor dry, will look forward to trying coco.
The device just keeps on delivering, it is the tops !
Been times I have not been able to give it
the attention one should, and it has been forgiving.
Hope the birthday will be a good one for you.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
coco in the tub also as in the tailpiece? man im still only using screened turface. but i do other things differently from pure ppk too

i like it alot but may give one plant in that coco a try. do u still find a tailpiece swap needed sometimes?

id need to be really impressed to switch tho. love the turface. i rarely even see one (1) nat in an entire nld grow

good seeing you Snook and D9!
No gnats! Turface too. :friends:<I'm the one on the right.
BTW HB D9...

FCDobbs

Guys
Sorry to be a bother but while I have read I think everything I am still trying to figure out how many gph pump I should have for a 27 gal res with a 7 gal grow container.

this is a single plant grow using a 1000w mh for veg and a 1000w hps for flower. I am putting it together now. The space is aprox 4x4 taken from a larger outbuilding.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Guys
Sorry to be a bother but while I have read I think everything I am still trying to figure out how many gph pump I should have for a 27 gal res with a 7 gal grow container.

this is a single plant grow using a 1000w mh for veg and a 1000w hps for flower. I am putting it together now. The space is aprox 4x4 taken from a larger outbuilding.
You'll need a pump size large enough to pump ??? less than 1 gallon (depends on media density and amount) into that 7 gallon ppk as quickly as possible. I use a 700GPM pump to put aprox 1.5 qts of 'food' every hour of the day and night. My PPKs are 3.5 gallons. A larger pump lets you put a larger amount of nutes into the ppk asap. as this blob of water/nutes moves down thru the media it sucks O2 down with it thru the media and gives the root ball the O2 it requires. Put a ball valve on the output into the ppk to regulate specific nutrient requirement.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Snook
thx.

I actually did find a post where D9 uses one of these. So many posts on this stuff it gets overwhelming sometimes. Still trying to put other pieces of the puzzle together.

https://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-Subm...BD7C3YBXCAA4&refRID=3M7QDV5MBD7C3YBXCAA4&th=1
Cant remember why I chose this type of pump. They cost more but I still have the same ones from 10 years ago. There are other
brands available. a PITA would be a pump dying during late bloom.
Replacing it would be not fun and probably detrimental to the bloomage.

https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Supreme-Hydro-Mag-Recirculating-Venturi/dp/B007BVQ654/ref=sr_1_6?crid=12PFPYX6ERD3J&dchild=1&keywords=hydro+water+pump+hydroponics&qid=1601728308&sprefix=hydro+water+pump%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-6

bs0

Cant remember why I chose this type of pump. They cost more but I still have the same ones from 10 years ago. There are other
brands available. a PITA would be a pump dying during late bloom.
Replacing it would be not fun and probably detrimental to the bloomage.

https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Supreme-Hydro-Mag-Recirculating-Venturi/dp/B007BVQ654/ref=sr_1_6?crid=12PFPYX6ERD3J&dchild=1&keywords=hydro+water+pump+hydroponics&qid=1601728308&sprefix=hydro+water+pump%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-6

Whatever you do, make sure to standardize your pumps and be sure to always have an extra on hand. $20-40 is the cheapest insurance you will ever buy.

HL45

Veteran
Nice I'm gonna have to give this stuff a try!

hello, everyone! just thought i would stop by and tell you guys about this stuff.

it is simply the best media i have ever used in this device.

i have tried turface, shale, diatomaceous earth, perlite, pumice, scoria, rice hulls, and coco fiber.

they all work, more or less, either blended or separate but each has it's drawbacks.

needing extensive cleaning or is very heavy or dries too fast or needs sieving. always something.

most coco is too fine for this device. but i have found this stuff to be nearly perfect because it retains excellent air filled porosity during a grow. it comes in compressed blocks that must be expanded. i use a 1800-2000 ppm jack''s/calcinit solution ph''ed to about 5.2 just for the expansion.

the plants grow very fast right from the start with no displays.

it is available online. i found arbico organics to have fair prices for small quantities but you can also buy pallets direct from prococo.

prococo.com chips and fiber

tried to upload a pic but i'm over my limit.

anyway go to prococo.com

best of luck to you all!

FCDobbs

So I feel kinda thick, but what is the typical conversion that is used to get ppm. 5 or 7? I am getting ready to mix 45 gal and I dont want to eff it up. As I remember I need to add the Cal last?

I'm also wondering the same as the above post. Just saw D9's post about giving coco chips-n-fiber a shot and that he uses a nutrient solution of 900 ppm @ 0.5 EC? I'm not sure what EC my Apera PPM meter is.. Should I be measuring 900 ppm with my meter? (Was always using 650-ish PPM before)