What's new

What are you drinking?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Spaten Optimator, a nice, dark and heavy, German lager known as a Doppelbock...

I will not drink a good beer right out of the bottle.
I have some nice beer glasses I've collected in my travels.

This one is from a brewery/bar I visited in Czechoslovakia...

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 14
M

moose eater

Used to occasionally drink dark rum. Bud Green turned me onto a brand of rum he recommended, but lately, when I drink hard alcohol, it's typically a good variety of reposado tequila.... Which I have used with lime seltzer, and a bit of lime juice added.

On occasion I consider that the seltzer we buy is brought up from places like Cincinnati, and we're in the land of what was once unlimited pristine water... Instead drinking urban H2O from some place where I'd hate to view a close-up cross-section of their city's water lines.

But it's convenient, and provides the psychological effect similar to opening a can of soda or beer... So we do it any way. ;^>)

M

moose eater

Which rum?

Took me a bit to see this xavier. Sorry about that.

Assuming the question was directed toward me, and that I'm not betraying Bud's visitor message, he was referring to 'Kirk and Sweeney,' 12 year old Dominican rum.

I'd posted a long time ago, about sipping dark rum back in the day (early to mid-1980s), when the coke was exceptionally clean & excessive, and seeking to take the edge off back then led me to keeping a bottle of Meyers Dark Special nearby.

Since then I've become more of a reposado tequila drinker, where harder liquor is concerned.

But Bud's recommendation now has me occasionally peeking in on the rum aisle at the local larger liquor outlet, and I noted the other day that Costco, in town, had a tag up on a shelf for Oban Scotch Whiskey, which I believe a couple folks had recommended; possibly in this thread.... SuperX and maybe another poster.

My wife's a scotch drinker on occasion, so knowing they are apparently intending to stock it, and Christmas is coming, I thought.. well.....

Numerous useful tips of all sorts here at ICMag on occasion.

X

xavier7995

I will keep an eye out, always on the lookout for a good rum. You can get some exceptionally high quality spirits for a reasonable price with rum and I like sweet stuff so woo. I think you are the only other person besides myself that mentions sipping Meyers, been years but I loved that booze syrup, should pick up a bit. Anywho, appreciate the recommendation.

Oban is indeed very tasty.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I will keep an eye out, always on the lookout for a good rum.

Try the "Kirk and Sweeney", 12 year old Dominican rum.. It comes in a short, round bottle..

It's a bit pricey at about $34 a fifth,, but well worth it for a nice sipping rum...
Straight up or on the rocks...

Cadfael

Flor de Cana 7 or over is a good rum as well.

Pryat was good but they changed it up about 10 years ago and it hasn't been the same.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Kirk and Sweeney. Thanks for the Tip.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I'm out of rep right now Cadfael, I'll try to get back to you later...

You're right about the Flor de Cana...
I first discovered it in a very small town in Panama about 20 years ago..
It wasn't imported to the US until a few years later...

Flor de Cana distillery is in Nicaragua, and they have the largest collection of old rum still in barrels of any rum producer...

If you're rich enough, you can go to Nicaragua and get rum that has been in barrels for 75 years!

I love to try some of that!

superx

Veteran
Just picked this up on the way home. Interesting bottle and one I have not heard of - 12 year old single malt. Light on the sip bit follows through with a deep tone..Merry Christmas everyone ...
picture.php

superx

Veteran
As you can see I am already sideways. This my friends is the finest of Irish Poitín.. A seasonal gift from good friends from the mountains (hills have eyes territory). This stuff can vary in volume from anywhere between 80 and 90%. It is illegally distilled, in a small pot still. The term is a diminutive of the Irish word pota, meaning "pot". The Irish word for a hangover is póit. Nollaig shona duit

[
picture.php