What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

G

Here are some of the clones from the cloner using perlite....

As I have found in the past vermiculite is a little faster...

Perlite certainly works but I would describe these clones as about a day behind the ones done in vermiculite after 7 days....

Ive had my fun with perlite....

for me vermiculite is my medium of choice....

I2KanGrow

Yo Budley...

I'm getting ready to take my 1st. set of clones for use in my new cloner, but I have a few questions:

I've never cloned anything before - what kind of light do I want to have, I've read not to have a lot of light. Is this true? How about time 18/6, 24/0?

I'm only going to take 4 cuttings - I have a pile of CFLs I can choose for this, soft white and cool white... how do you light yours - what would you recommend?

How about temps - is this vital? my room is @ around 74F - is this OK?

Thanks in advance, man!

G

Its true on the light....

Too much and the plants want to start doing photosynthesis .... they yellow from using up nitrogen and often die young....

I use tube flouros.... kitchen and bath.... about 18 inches away....

Use a long light cylcle.... at least 18 hours light.... make sure they get a short dark cycle....

74 I think is ok.... over 70 and less than 80 is about right....

Are you using rooting hormone???

Dan from earlier has a cloner started for several days now.....

Good luck...

Dan42nepa

Yes i am on day 5 using budleys cloner and so far no yellowing or wilting. Using shop lights about 24 inches from the tops of 18 clones.

G

Looks good dan....

My opinion is that the cloners job is not to put roots on the clone....

Its job is to simply keep the plant healthy for around 2 weeks....
Mine are always done in 10 days...

If the cloner does that and they dont root then I know that other factors are the problem....

I expect this cloner with vermiculite to work quite well without rooting hormone....But it wll take some extra time....

If you expect a difficult to clone strain you can also foliar feed the plant....

In the pics above using the vermiculite its pretty clear that I had roots on some in 6 days.... thats fast... Im using a high quality rooting hormone....
clonex...

Hey Dan.... not a lot of work misting and such???

like that fool on tv says....

SET IT AND FORGET IT.....

LOL....

By the way never reuse the medium....

its fine for rooted plants in transplant medium....

only new clean medium should be used in the cloner...

out of the bag vermiculite is pretty sterile..

Thanks for posting dan...

Last edited:

Dan42nepa

no but i must admit i do use a hood partially during the day.. This isnt because they necessarily need it but because i have cats who like to pull cuttings out. They've done this already with a few pepper plants. When i am in the room i leave the hood off.. I wont even think of checking until maybe saturday and may even wait for 10 days.

G

I agree with you....

You used a powder rooting hormone and I have in fact tried those in the past....

They have lower levels of hormone.... and take a little longer it seems....

For you looking for roots at 10 days is about right I think....

Then depending on what you see you can reduce that next time..

Dan42nepa

actually i am using rooting powder called schultz take root which i found in a store. i had rooting hormone which i had bought but decided not to use.. I think you said it was comparible to super thrive? so maybe i can use it in the future somehow.

bigbear62

:wave: Mornin Fellas,Been kepping up on the post here :chin: ,need to ask a few Qs??This is wat i have so far:2 setups as per your instrution with verm,now those are ready to go.now rooting hormones: like dan,i was going to use schultzs but by the time i got back they took it off the shelf and wont restock till spring,so all i can find in my area is root tone powder is this ok to use,I see you use clonex do i need to order this? i have 3 wks before i take cuttings so ordering wont be a problem. now how long to leave in before i put in soil for good roots.being new this sure dont want no problems
your advise is well appreciated THANKS :respect:

Dan42nepa

i had the same problem.. wrong time of year for this stuff.. I was lucky to find the schultz at walmart. I also read you can use aspirin mixed with water or liquid kelp in water. I think i read other people used root tone.. I would do a search for it on here or google it with marijuana.. I think alot of times we over complicate things on here but i try and go with the best odds..

G

Im very interested in what dan gets with his rooting powder

If it would actually give the same results as Im getting with clonex I would go with that as its one less reason to go to the hydro store...

But After trying many brands over the years I find clonex the best..

I highly recommend using clonex if you can get it....
When I do clones I start a couple extra then when I get the nunber of plants I need the rest are scrapped.... but Im pretty sure with right sized clones I would get way over 90% pretty close to 100% if that was my goal....

Plus then you are exactly matching what I have....

and if it aint broke.....

If you have 3 weeks and if dan is kind enough he will post his results in time to determine if the powder gives good results...

if he has a high percent.... buy it at walmart....

if not clonex grows roots on a billiard ball......

Dan42nepa

well, i only used the schultz because it was the only thing I could find this time of year and didnt feel like ordering something else over the internet and paying for shipping. It does say its a rooting hormone.. didnt notice that before. It has Indole-3-butyric acid whatever that is...

G

Its commonly referred to as IBA...

Its the same stuff thats in clonex....

The clonex has a consistancy of like maple syrup....

It clings to the stem....

And it has a higher amount of hormone..

schultz has .1% and clonex .3%

A local retail store here has the highest percent IBA in a powder also .3

the brand is Rapid Root by grow more....

I have some but have never tried it... lol....

Impulse buying.....lol....

bigbear62

Thanks fellas,your comments and advice is sure appreciated.I fond out i have a hydro store 1 1/2hrs from me that carries the clonex solution & gel .Budly if this dus wat you say,with your cloner and clonex i should have no worries . very simple thats wat this newbie needs..THANKS FELLAS

G

Hay pontiac good to see you...

I had forgotten who you were till I saw the link in your sig....

You might need room for another thread....

You can call this one ....

How to make a cloner for almost nothing....

LOL

The shit works......

One thing this does the wick cloner doesnt is its easy to keep track of what clone belongs to what mom.....

But if you liked the wick cloner.... you will like this.....

G

Good morning all...

Im going to conduct a couple experiments today....

The first Im going to try some clones with no hormone....
Those Im going to let go for 14 days....
I expect they will take some extra time to root... If they root...
I will also be foliar feeding the plants once or twice over 2 weeks...

The second experiment will involve leaving the plants in the cloner for an extra week to develop a larger root system but to feed them in the cloner....

I will be using my normal method for the first 6 days....
Then I will empty the reservoir and replace the plain water with water and ferts....
Just a single feeding....

The reason Im doing this is mostly for space efficiency.... with 27 plants in a very small footprint.... I feel I can feed them in the cloner and make a bigger root system in a very small space... I had been using the strategy of using only water in the cloner and transplant as soon as they had roots... so they could be fed asap...

This post also marks when I started the experiment....

These will be done xmas eve day.....

Good luck to all who are trying the method....

Last edited:

bigbear62

Mornin Fellas, :wave: Just stopped by to say good luck with your exsperiiments.Will be pulling up a chair and a cup of coffee. :respect: :joint: :lurk: