What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lifespan of CMH ballasts

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
What is the average lifespan of CMH ballast?
All I can find is the lifespan of the bulb?
Will the ballast lose efficiency overtime?

Thinking about buying a used Sun Systems 315, but I need to know some specifics before I go over there and pay too much.

Carraxe

Veteran
No, they don't lose efficiency. They can last many years, some transformers may burn after some years, but most of them last 20+ years. When I say burn I mean some of the copper cables inside the inductance can have a short circuit, I'm not meaning a real fire. They are quite safe.

But the capacitors in the ballast have to be replaced every couple of years to be sure they match the power factor to near one. If not, the excess current they drive is dangerous for the cables of the installation.

That's about magnetic ones. Electronic ones usually don't last that much, and you don't have to replace any capacitors.

Cheers

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
No, they don't lose efficiency. They can last many years, some transformers may burn after some years, but most of them last 20+ years. When I say burn I mean some of the copper cables inside the inductance can have a short circuit, I'm not meaning a real fire. They are quite safe.

But the capacitors in the ballast have to be replaced every couple of years to be sure they match the power factor to near one. If not, the excess current they drive is dangerous for the cables of the installation.

That's about magnetic ones. Electronic ones usually don't last that much, and you don't have to replace any capacitors.

Cheers
Thanks carraxe

So if it's electronic, how old would be too old? Still life after 10 years?
5 y?

troutman

Seed Whore
I turned off the power of my electronic ballast and only removed a few screws holding the case
without disconnecting any wires. There was dust bunnies that accumulated over time from possibly
static electricity that I removed. I then put the case back on afterwards.

I'm sure a little monthly cleaning will make any ballast run cooler and longer.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Electronic ballasts should be good until they're not.
meaning until they burn out or stop working...

gh0stm0de

Hey CannaRed, my LFSW ballasts are rated for 50,000 hours of use. Your mileage may vary, but probably not by a huge amount.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Thanks guys. Trout and MJP, sorry I didn't respond earlier I somehow missed these posts.

I'm still on fence, haven't been to look at it yet. Dude wants $200. For the whole lec kit- ballast, reflector, and bulb, Not sure if it's vertical or horizontal bulb, but some of sunsystems reflectors cost that by itself. I'll replace the bulb with a new one so probably a little under $300 to get it set up

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hey CannaRed, my LFSW ballasts are rated for 50,000 hours of use. Your mileage may vary, but probably not by a huge amount.

Thanks ghost. I really wish I had another foot in both directions. Would love to try the 630.

Dont want to tear down closet to make it bigger (yet) , and a 4 x 4 tent won't fit my space.

If it were aircooled, I'm sure my 2 1/2' x 3 1/2' would be fine... It's only an extra 30watts of heat, but I'm not ready to move my ducts yet. One day I'll figure out this mess.

gh0stm0de

There is a right tool for every job, and I believe that you are on the right path selecting a 315 for your current space. Best of luck to you.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Thanks ghost. I really wish I had another foot in both directions. Would love to try the 630.
Dont want to tear down closet to make it bigger (yet) , and a 4 x 4 tent won't fit my space.
If it were aircooled, I'm sure my 2 1/2' x 3 1/2' would be fine... It's only an extra 30watts of heat, but I'm not ready to move my ducts yet. One day I'll figure out this mess.

for what's it worth, i grow in a 4x3.5' tent , like u a 4x4 wont fit my space- i bought '2' 315's (hydro crunch) off ebay n thought that it was not enough light in my last grow - i have supplemented the cmh's this grow with '2' 'shitty' vipar 300w led's... i used these led's one grow, n they sucked so much i gave em (3 of em) away to a buddy... he tried em, n gave me 2 of em back-

i changed out the bulbs to philips this go-around so we'll see the outcome, but last grow the tops were airy ... previously we were growing under 1000mh... n a 315, or 2 of em cant hold a candle to a 1000w mh... but u gotta be able to vent the heat... which i cant do with a 1000w

Cvh

Supermod
I burned out a digital ballast a couple of months ago.
It was only <5yrs. I have to say that I was running it dimmed more then not.
Maybe using the dimming function lowers the life expectancy faster.