What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Earth Worm Castings at Walmart!

chimei

I was surprised to find them myself at Walmart while I was browsing the other day.

So as someone one else asked, how long can these be kept and have them be as good as when first bought? Is there a best way to store them?

I would like to stock up on enough to last me through a fall and a winter.

The bag says they guarantee the quality of these up to 9 months after purchase.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
hhmmm...

hhmmm...

I think as long as ya keep em dry they would last a long time.I wouldn't put em anywhere the sun will hit them.The sun will make the plastic sweat or trap extra moisture and they'll be soaked in no time.Ya don't want them gettin wet and souring on ya,this will change the ph after awhile. It's too bad wallyworld puts most of thier amendments outside,for this very reason....buy yer "shit" early in the year! (wink!) lol Take care...BC

R

Raistlin Majere

my local wally does not have them
hopefully they will be there in the next couple weeks

Jon

Question, I usually buy premixed organic mixes but for vegetative growth, will 30% walmart earthworm castings, 70% sphagnum peat moss work well with some perlite added for drainage?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jon said:
Question, I usually buy premixed organic mixes but for vegetative growth, will 30% walmart earthworm castings, 70% sphagnum peat moss work well with some perlite added for drainage?
You'll also need powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tbs./gal. of mix.

LC’s Soiless Mix
5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat
3 parts perlite
2 parts worm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.
But, a "part" can be anything from a tablespoon to a five gallon bucket. Just use the same item for all of the "parts".

Burn1

Last edited:

chimei

It is def hit or miss, I was in another town yesterday and looked in the Walmart there and they had none yet.

I am going to go back this weekend to pick up a few more bags. I don't know anywhere else to buy them and it not feel like I am up to no good.

I guess I should just do a worm bin eventually.

Ulysses

chimei- no fear my friend, the employees at Walmart haven't the slightest clue as to what these even are let alone what they are used for... The constant beeping of the registers turns the cashiers brain to mush in short order- it's just another SKU to them...

My local Walmart moved the EWC pallet outdoors (in the parking lot with the other soils) to make room for lawn furniture... You may have to look around a bit- usually lumped in with the garden soils...

Luck.

reddy1

ICMag Donor
check outside for them. yellow bag. same brand that sams club had last year. that was a much larger bag though. anybody seen them at sams lately?

NickMode

i went to my walmart today that usually has EWC, and they were out!!! this. hopefully they didnt have a limited supply

texas grass

i dont think they have a limited supply they come from a very large production of worm farmers, i like how their so cheap

but i cant wait to get my own worm bin goin

Ulysses

Field Test Update

Field Test Update

I chucked three double handfuls of these EWCs around a topped Blueberry male which is in a 1 gallon sized hole in the dirt with no other amendments, and the plant is nice, dark green blue hue, perky sun leaves, and branching quickly... Walmart EWCs seem to be working quite well.

Sadly, your average Walmart employee doesn't know what these are or what they are used for- so you will have to locate them yourself... Often outdoors on a palette near the mulch or on the shelf indoors near the potting soil. Try to get a bag that hasn't been soaked with rain or left to bake in the sun and dry out...

Believe me, Walmart employees are so numbed to the whole shopping experience, they don't give a damn what you are buying or for what reason- as long as it rings up on the register... BEEP!

well just came back from my wal-mart....didn't have them yet.....

on another note.......its not so much of quality issues with wal-mart that brings costs down.....its all in the buying power....same with lowes/depot/harris teeter/wal-mart/ etc..etc.. if the mom and pop shop wants 10 of item A @ $10 a piece......and wal-mart wants 100,000 of the SAME item A @ $5 a piece....its just economics and good business....MY OPINION it has nothing to do with quality....

whether you want to support big business in your area is up to you.....but that a whole other issue...

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
FUCK WALLMART

:spank: :spank: :spank:

..hate those fuckers, I wouldn't take it for free.

I'm motivated more than ever to make my own.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Wal Mart treats their employees like shit, but the bigger problem is goods from China. And Wal Mart embodies the movement toward an economy built around disposable goods from China, but they aren't the only company doing it. They're just the poster child.

China's economy is booming, absolutely booming. And the whole world is even more afraid of a powerful China than they are of a powerful U.S. Our economy tanking is due in large part to our economic relationship to China and the fact that Americans have spent the last 25 years now driving their 12 MPG trucks to Wal Mart to buy chinese goods at the cheapest possible prices imaginable. China owns us now.

Now before anyone here thinks I'm raggin' on you for shopping there, I will freely admit that I drop into the Wal Mart garden section a couple times a month. I feel like a whore when I do and really need to stop. Especially since the folks at my local nurseries are all so darn friendly! And they'll happily special order for me (or you) anything we could possibly want.

Dig

Dignan said:
And they'll happily special order for me (or you) anything we could possibly want.

ain't that the truth!!!! that's the direction i went with...they were able to order casting for me for 7.99 for about a cft

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Dignan said:
Wal Mart treats their employees like shit, but the bigger problem is goods from China. And Wal Mart embodies the movement toward an economy built around disposable goods from China, but they aren't the only company doing it. They're just the poster child.

China's economy is booming, absolutely booming. And the whole world is even more afraid of a powerful China than they are of a powerful U.S. Our economy tanking is due in large part to our economic relationship to China and the fact that Americans have spent the last 25 years now driving their 12 MPG trucks to Wal Mart to buy chinese goods at the cheapest possible prices imaginable. China owns us now.

Now before anyone here thinks I'm raggin' on you for shopping there, I will freely admit that I drop into the Wal Mart garden section a couple times a month. I feel like a whore when I do and really need to stop. Especially since the folks at my local nurseries are all so darn friendly! And they'll happily special order for me (or you) anything we could possibly want.

Dig

Dude I really love you...in a big manly platonic grow pal kind of way :joint:

I am glad I have allies in this ridiculously poorly organized and operated social network we call America ( I include us canadians in that boat).

Suby

Ajunta Pall

If it were only that the Chinese were selling cheap junk @ Wally World. But it's deeper than that. Our govt. has allowed the Chinese to control some of our ports, cargo terminals in our airports, and other areas of American infastructure. Shopping at Wal-Mart is nothing compared to what the goverment has done behind our backs.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Suby said:
Dude I really love you...in a big manly platonic grow pal kind of way :joint:

LOL! I'm really good at pretending to understand the world. :bashhead:

Suby said:
social network we call America ( I include us canadians in that boat).

Suby

I never realized you're canadian. Congratulations!

14394278_240x240_Front.jpg