What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blueberry oh Blueberry... Which should I choose?

elanius

Veteran
Oh and I would really like for someone in regards to having experience with Dj's gear, what is the difference in the blueberry and true blue berry??

DJ Short:

True Blueberry (TB) v. Blueberry (BB): differences--here's my view:

The TB is more akin (literally closer related to) my past European offerings but from a much larger selection pool that I had more input toward. It (TB) tends to be larger (taller) and a bit more productive than the BB. The BB line that I have offered for the past 7-8 years is from different f3 stock than the TB (yet still related as all of my stock is from similar ancestry). I call her (the BB) a "stretch-indica" in that she does like to stretch her nodes, but her buds are very compact with larger calyx structure ("golf-ball buds"); whereas the TB buds are generally composed of smaller calyx (more slender, "pointy") yet still with a very dense bud structure ("spade-shaped" with some foxtail stretch) on an indica-looking plant.

The BB palate is a more "syrupy sweet", fruity smell (more like candy-sweet) while the TB has a higher-nasal palate with astringent/anise undertones (more of a sinus tickle w/ the bud and smoke flavor). I find the TB to be more "heady", almost racy at first, whereas the BB tends to be more body/narcotic in its initial rush and stone duration. Mind you, there is a "range" to both and the above descriptions are in terms of probability and not exclusive to either strain. That is, there is a higher probability of finding a plant w/ small calyx, tight buds with astringent/anise/berry flavor and a more "up-head" in the TB line, and a higher probability of finding a plant with the "stretch-indica" pheno with dense, golf-ball buds and a more candy/berry flavor/palate and a more narcotic (though not really couch-lock) body in the BB line. Both are equally prone to color changes, especially in colder temps, and I find both to be equally potent.

Can you get the old school blueberry high from current DjShort release?
I remember smoking Blueberry when i was 15 years old, it did not smelled like blueberry, the bud was sweet fruity and blue, but we almost died laughing in a park.
So if you mean that freakish euphoria, laughter and happy relaxed high then yes. At least i found such plant in current line.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Thanks for that info man. I am sure I could have found that great information myself through a quick and simple google search but I took the lazy route haha...

I am definitely going to give Dj's gear a chance in my op.

G

Gr33nSanta

Those are pretty plants elanius. Doesn't change what happened to me. I have no reason to go around lying about DJ. I had a bad experience. Wish it had been more like yours. But it wasn't. I also had different looking brown packs compared to others modern versions shown. Not sure what your packs looked like or where you got them. Mine came from seedsman. Everyone wants to blame the grower when bad blueberry reports come out (pretty common), but all my other stuff grows just fine. Sorry, not going to take time to post "proof" for you. I never really take pics anyway. Not really looking for approval here. Just sharing my experience.

Thanks for the hate though. :huggg:

and when someone posted just over 100 posts in 6 some years, I do not take them lightly .

I would never order from DJ myself, I do not believe in inbreeding and he is a master at it. I can see maybe backcrossing once or twice if you are desperate but I really shy away from inbreeding. Some like stability and uniformity, some do not mind searching ... I like searching, I like vigor.

budsicles

and when someone posted just over 100 posts in 6 some years, I do not take them lightly

Thanks for the support. Who knows, elanius might be right about me fertilizing it wrong. I've known for many years that BB needs significantly less food than other varieties. If my memory is correct, my other strains at the time got around 15ml every watering and did great. I gave the BB 7.5ml every 'other' watering. So I fed them around 25% what I gave my other strains. But they looked underfed rather than overfed, and the leaves actually looked a little better when I upped the dose some. So I don't believe they were toxically overfed. But I could be wrong. Would have taken pics had I known I'd be crucified for not doing so.

Mountainbudz- If you really want to find a pure blueberry, I think you should buy 2 packs each of DJ, Peak, and Joey. Thats the only way to know for yourself which line is better.

Last edited:
I think a misconception that everyone has is that
DJs blueberry tastes like blueberry...most of the reports I've read, and there are plenty, say there are mostly musky/berry flavors and smells...and while there may be blueberryish plants to be found, I think the line is so called because of the color they give...a purple/red/blue hue akin to blueberries

I've never sampled DJs blueberry from years ago, and don't think DJ has ever stated his reasoning behind the name. This is just my understanding.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
A lot of the reports I read about DJ is inbred and not the same. There was nothing interesting in my pack except pollen-free males, so there's no reason for me to doubt this.

Grojak

I'm working on a killer BB project... crossed a DJS pre99 indica BB x blue satelie 2.2 male (its 75% DJS sativa bb) going to take a male or 2 from there and hit to a DJS pre99 sativa BB once i find I get the male selection

I hear the current DJS blueberry takes quite a few beans to find that real deal keeper.

I hear good things about Jordans strains but not necessarily the Blueberry

If you can find Green Beanz Blueberry BX I'd go that route.

MountainBudz

Well folks, I believe I will find what i'm looking for eventually. Here is a project I am gonna be working with outside of my upcoming main grow op. This grow will be held in a different location and it will all be selective. I plan on doing a little breeding work once I find the phenos that interests me the most. I have a few good clones I wanna try and cross them up with including GG#4, Chem 91, 413 Chem, Corey Stardawg and Headbanger... But of course I want that one stable straight blueberry selective cut for myself as well...

Here are the beans I will be giving a shot...

Dj Short- Blueberry and True Blueberry
Peak Seeds- Blueberry
Sagarmatha- Blueberry
Exotic Genetics- Big Smooth
Exotic Genetics- Blue Steel
Snowhigh Seeds- Blueberry Blast
Mosca- Old Time Moonshine
Old World Genetics- Vanilluna (Blueberry)
Old World Genetics- F13 Throwback
Old World Genetics- Dj Shorts Blueberry
And finally.... Cannarado Genetics- Blueberry Shortcake

:tiphat:

MountainBudz

Big investment I know. But I want a killer blueberry cut or two or maybe even three to keep around haha...

M

marygrace

I would have considered also the Blue Magoo BX2 from Dynasty genetics ... Absolute killer phenotypes !!!

Good luck for the selection

Robney

What about Chimera's GFxBB?? I found a pheno that taste just like blueberries and had a nice buzz that went beyond a standard indica, though it is prone to autoflowering if rootbound

picture.php

picture.php

He did a whole bunch of collaborative crosses with DJ that use, from my understanding, pretty prized blueberry pollen. And this collaboration is from years ago, so it was certainly before blueberry got watered down. I know from personal experience you can find these blueberry aroma and taste in GFxBB, but after seeing the description you have of the high, being electric pulsing, you might want to try the dolce sativa (sweet skunk x BB) as sweet skunk can add some serious sativa buzz to whatever you cross it to. And you might even lose the autoflower when rootbound trait as that comes from the GF. Though speaking of dolce sativa - tony green did a cross of the gorilla bubble to blue satellite (breeder steve's version of dolce sativa) so the genetic pathway you'd be going down would be very similar FYI, also you might wanna reach out to the original glue crew if you're planning on selling any. Are you going to reverse what you find to make fems?

Happy Times

Hey man,

i remember you talking shit about Shorts genetics before, claiming every female and male hermied on you. And here we are again, you throwing shit around without any proof or pics. You are just lame in my eyes, if you dont know how to grow this delicate genetics, dont do it and dont bullshit others please.
Why i know your talk is cheap ? I have grown 40 seeds of Djs Original Blueberry and I have very different experience then you. Just for example, not a single female hermied on me, especially on 3rd week of flower as you claim. There were 0 hermies males as well. Some females throw sterile nanners in the end of flowering and i found 0 seeds, not even the small undeveloped ones. Can this myth and fear of hermies stop already?

Whoever is looking for opinion about current DjShorts Blueberry realease, please dont listen to this guy and let me tell you what you can expect.

From 40 seeds i had 23 females. Half of these females were fruity-berry/grape/kind of mix of citrus fruit but very sweet, others were mentolated/musky/burgundy/earthy and sweet. The smell is not as loud as diesels and OGs, so if you looking for loud smell, this is not the place to find it. The smell is incredible and i really love it, it just wont hit you in the face. The teste is very nice as well, a lot of people commented on the taste and found it "yummy" especially ladies. There were few stretchy phenotypes, more sativa in structure. Others had reasonable stretch. The high is very consistent and stabilized, its euphoric, some anti anxiety, pleasant, relaxing, mood elevating a medicine really. My keeper Indica pheno is like anti anxiety medication for me. What can i say, even my friends love the high and the best review for me is, when they prefer it over OGs, Diesels and so on. Its just really pleasant and enjoyable high and not everyone likes the skull crushing high a lot of cannabis provide these days. Dj Short was trying to stabilize the high and it is done. People are usually looking on his genetics with EGO and then they are disappointed.

These are pics of current Blueberries:

My keeper WLD:
View Image
View Image
And keeper NLD:
View Image
View Image
View Image

Great pics Elanius- what pretty colors and crystals you have going on there!

Could I ask what WLD and NLD stand for?

Grojak

What about Chimera's GFxBB?? I found a pheno that taste just like blueberries and had a nice buzz that went beyond a standard indica, though it is prone to autoflowering if rootbound

View Image

View Image

He did a whole bunch of collaborative crosses with DJ that use, from my understanding, pretty prized blueberry pollen. And this collaboration is from years ago, so it was certainly before blueberry got watered down. I know from personal experience you can find these blueberry aroma and taste in GFxBB, but after seeing the description you have of the high, being electric pulsing, you might want to try the dolce sativa (sweet skunk x BB) as sweet skunk can add some serious sativa buzz to whatever you cross it to. And you might even lose the autoflower when rootbound trait as that comes from the GF. Though speaking of dolce sativa - tony green did a cross of the gorilla bubble to blue satellite (breeder steve's version of dolce sativa) so the genetic pathway you'd be going down would be very similar FYI, also you might wanna reach out to the original glue crew if you're planning on selling any. Are you going to reverse what you find to make fems?

I did a 55 day DJS indica blueberry to the Blue Satelite 2.2 (which is 25% Sweet Tooth 75% sativa BB) Blue Satelite has some good qualities, if you're looking for colour it delievers the purple phenos more often than not in F1's. There are some hidden gem genetics to be dug out of the BS, I crossed it to Double Purple Doja (so odds of purple are rather high) and found an AMAZING Sweet Tooth pheno I had not even expected to show up. Straight Grapefruit smell and taste but with real yield.

bestothebest

WLD is wide leaf drug. NLD is narrow leaf drug. Some people use these classifications along with i believe WLH and NLH which are wide leaf hemp and narrow leaf hemp. Its another part of the sativa indica species debate.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I enjoyed Blue Satellite 2.2 also. I got a nice little blueberry bush, which I kept as a mum for quite awhile, but lost. I remember there were a few mutants in that 10 pack, like really weird seedlings. some grew out of it, some never did. Blue Satellite gave me nice blue nugs of sweet blueberry.

BigPhil

Veteran
Don't know if anyone has said this yet. But from what I gather DJ lost the original BB parents a long time ago. So the old skool taste and smell will never be the same as it was. I have grown his Blueberry about 6 or 7 years ago (A reworked version). It gave me little round rock hard nuggets that smelt like coffee chocolate. I also got a pack of the True BB but haven't grown them yet as I like more a body stone than head.

BigPhil

Veteran
I enjoyed Blue Satellite 2.2 also. I got a nice little blueberry bush, which I kept as a mum for quite awhile, but lost. I remember there were a few mutants in that 10 pack, like really weird seedlings. some grew out of it, some never did. Blue Satellite gave me nice blue nugs of sweet blueberry.

I have Bluesat 2.2 I was gifted 7 seeds a few years ago. Your post has inspired me to get these cracked open soon. Would love to find a old skool blue berry smell, They are dated from 10/2009

From 40 seeds i had 23 females. Half of these females were fruity-berry/grape/kind of mix of citrus fruit but very sweet, others were mentolated/musky/burgundy/earthy and sweet. The smell is not as loud as diesels and OGs, so if you looking for loud smell, this is not the place to find it. The smell is incredible and i really love it, it just wont hit you in the face. The teste is very nice as well, a lot of people commented on the taste and found it "yummy" especially ladies. There were few stretchy phenotypes, more sativa in structure. Others had reasonable stretch. The high is very consistent and stabilized, its euphoric, some anti anxiety, pleasant, relaxing, mood elevating a medicine really. My keeper Indica pheno is like anti anxiety medication for me.

Looks and sounds good but does NOT sound like Blueberry!! It's a shame DJ lost his male that gave the unmistakable blueberry aroma/taste that filled the entire room when you cracked the jar.

I think we can safely say DJ's genes for blueberry are defunct now that he's lost the signature BB male. Yes he was the original and deserves respect for that - but he isn't using the original genes anymore.

I heard DP Blueberry used to be perfect for finding a pheno - but then they started breeding out the weaker phenos (with all the good aroma.flavors) to make them easier to grow for noobs. idiotic!!!

So now DP is out of the game for legit BB.

Who do we turn to for authentic blueberry high, taste and flavour?! We want it all, where is it?

I wonder if peakseeds used DJ's old line to develop his?

Right now peakseeds looks to be the best bet for finding true blueberry flavor/aroma. The finickiness doesn't bother me much - most people simply don't know how to grow sensitive weed.
I'm working on a killer BB project... crossed a DJS pre99 indica BB x blue satelie 2.2 male (its 75% DJS sativa bb) going to take a male or 2 from there and hit to a DJS pre99 sativa BB once i find I get the male selection

I hear the current DJS blueberry takes quite a few beans to find that real deal keeper.

I hear good things about Jordans strains but not necessarily the Blueberry

If you can find Green Beanz Blueberry BX I'd go that route.

Sounds excellent my friend please keep us updated.

Well folks, I believe I will find what i'm looking for eventually. Here is a project I am gonna be working with outside of my upcoming main grow op. This grow will be held in a different location and it will all be selective. I plan on doing a little breeding work once I find the phenos that interests me the most. I have a few good clones I wanna try and cross them up with including GG#4, Chem 91, 413 Chem, Corey Stardawg and Headbanger... But of course I want that one stable straight blueberry selective cut for myself as well...

Here are the beans I will be giving a shot...

Dj Short- Blueberry and True Blueberry
Peak Seeds- Blueberry
Sagarmatha- Blueberry
Exotic Genetics- Big Smooth
Exotic Genetics- Blue Steel
Snowhigh Seeds- Blueberry Blast
Mosca- Old Time Moonshine
Old World Genetics- Vanilluna (Blueberry)
Old World Genetics- F13 Throwback
Old World Genetics- Dj Shorts Blueberry
And finally.... Cannarado Genetics- Blueberry Shortcake

:tiphat:

Sounds like a worthwhile investment. Eager to see what happens!

Burt

Veteran
DJ recently shared his blueberry mom with some select outlets on the west coast so I’m confused by statements that imply he’s lost the BB parents
My favorite BB has always been the NL crosses ala 1998.
I used an extremely lanky purple blueberry smelling make on my SD IBL.
I hope to make a selection from 2 dozen this year

Latest posts

Latest posts