What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need Help when to Harvest

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I put ONE plant outdoors. She's tiny but super healthy.

I pollinated her ~ 6 weeks ago

I see mature dark seeds in her cracked calyxes

Her cousin was harvested on 2/09, Her leaves show no signs of being ready to harvest, though

I am 99% hydro.

When will I know to pull her?

View attachment 447328 View attachment 447329

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
She is tiny!
I guess you're an indoor guy....
Have the trichs turned cloudy yet? At least 75% cloudy and 25% clear? if so chop her...

If the seeds are important to you, and you're not ready to chop yet,
Carefully poke the mature seeds out of their shells, so you don't lose them..
Or place some kind of paper or plastic under her, so the seeds fall out on it and you can collect them...

Chappi

6 weeks plenty of time for seed development. When you pollinate the plants’s energy goes to making seeds so don’t expect yield. Every calyx matures at it’s own rate so I would sample a few and see if you like what you have now. Happy harvesting.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
She is tiny!
I guess you're an indoor guy....
Have the trichs turned cloudy yet? At least 75% cloudy and 25% clear? if so chop her...

If the seeds are important to you, and you're not ready to chop yet,
Carefully poke the mature seeds out of their shells, so you don't lose them..
Or place some kind of paper or plastic under her, so the seeds fall out on it and you can collect them...

Thanks

she's tiny because I pulled her when I saw coconuts some 12 weeks ago. It was grown in a coco pellet that expands to ~ 1.3" x 4". I literally threw it on my tile patio. It got enough water to survive. About 8 weeks ago I noticed pistils at the top, so I planted HER. A testament to how resourceful this plant is to survive

Indeed, he may have flipped to preserve itself

Never saw pistils beyond the top bud, and none there now!

I put one leaf under the scope. Most of the trichs have lost their head, but only ~ 10% cloudy with a few dark amber

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I could just be really sober and not parsing this right, but why would you pollinate the plant if you were later going to harvest it for buds?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I could just be really sober and not parsing this right, but why would you pollinate the plant if you were later going to harvest it for buds?
You wouldn't, unless you like mineral rich flower. Feed for seeds or fine flower, pick one because they're exclusive.

I've been chopping at 5-15% amber for over a decade and it's produced wonderfully ripe cannabis with all the strains I've grown through the years.

Count 20 trichomes on flower only (not sugar leaves), in a few spots to get an average. 1 amber trichome in 20 is 5% amber. 2 is 10%, 3 is 15%. Chop each strain at a few different %'s and label them for later testing.

You're welcome. :tiphat:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
After re-reading I think it flipped on it's own after he put it out to die and he's just trying to harvest what he can. But yeah, seeds or buds, pick one.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

what genius says you can't have both?

Obviously, you would not sell seeded bud, BUT, once the seeds have been physically removed, the remaining smashed bud is still very smokeable, or make butter with it

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
what genius says you can't have both?

Obviously, you would not sell seeded bud, BUT, once the seeds have been physically removed, the remaining smashed bud is still very smokeable, or make butter with it
I haven't actually bought street weed in a long time, but 20 years ago it was always seeded unless you were willing to pay almost twice the price. And I'm not saying you can't pollinate a plant and then harvest some of the buds, but it doesn't make any sense to me, unless it's bud to hold you over until the next harvest and the seeds are required asap. Growing up we always assumed if it had seeds it was not as good. All the local weed the seeded stuff was worse visual and smoking quality than the non seeded stuff, but come to think of it the non seeded stuff always seemed to be better cared for all around, so maybe it was just that. I can't seem to find any information about thc levels in seeded vs non seeded plants. There is a study from 1971 on male/female plants https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bulletin_1971-01-01_1_page006.html It seems to say that male/female plants don't seem to have a large difference in thc levels, besides the obvious concentration in flowertips which don't occur on males. I would be interested in seeing some hard numbers about seeded vs non seeded thc levels in finished buds, because the more I think about it the more I'm not sure it matters :chin:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Quality is an awareness thing. It's entirely possible to grow low quality smoking flower, with well formed seeds. I don't play with low quality. :)

Rephrased for the slower crowd... "Feed for high quality seeds or high quality flower, not both."

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't know about anybody else, but for me a decent part of quality is the amount of THC in the buds. It would have to be a pretty damn big swing in THC in male plants to make up for the mass lost to seeds, but like in PetFlora's situation he's just trying to make the best use of what he has. I'd be interested to see some tests done because while the THC levels are supposed to be similar, their THC profiles are not. Maybe seeded buds are the secret to unlocking something besides THC9. Probably not, but until weed is treated like any other plant and we can run repeatable science on it we might not ever know.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quality is an awareness thing. It's entirely possible to grow low quality smoking flower, with well formed seeds. I don't play with low quality. :)

Rephrased for the slower crowd... "Feed for high quality seeds or high quality flower, not both."

For the ignorant responder, who is notorious for jumping to conclusions; you should start with the OP before commenting

Tell me where I said I grow for low quality or small size.

Once again you make a tolal ass of yourself