What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's your favorite tool?

G

Gr33nSanta

my Shindaiwa weed wacker and my rosin press, a pitch fork too, I know, a weird trio.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Capt.Ahab is right but the next best thing is a good knife and it's not even debatable

I still lay claim to my bong being my favorite tool, but shithawk is right, a knife is a great tool to have, but buy yourself a real knife.

Randall knives are the real deal, something like this (Airman #15) would likely set you back $700-1200 depending on condition, vintage etc, in one rare instance I saw a Vietnam era (these were issued to USAF pilots) Airman knife go for just under $7500.

uLDzj6f.jpg

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I've always been partial to a good KA-Bar knife. Also collect old Marble's knives.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a good knife....

I never had the money to spend on "work of art" knives, but always spent enough to get quality...

I have lots of old carbon steel kitchen knives that I love because I can sharpen them like a razor..

I've had this Puma folding knife for more than 35 years. It used to be on my belt all time.
The blade is just under 4 inches..

I can remember when I could get on a commercial jet liner with this knife on my belt... Did it many times back in the early '80's.

Attachments

• Puma Game Warden.jpg
    Puma Game Warden.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 6

shithawk420

Veteran
I still lay claim to my bong being my favorite tool, but shithawk is right, a knife is a great tool to have, but buy yourself a real knife.

Randall knives are the real deal, something like this (Airman #15) would likely set you back $700-1200 depending on condition, vintage etc, in one rare instance I saw a Vietnam era (these were issued to USAF pilots) Airman knife go for just under $7500.

View Image

That's a beautiful knife but a bit pricey. (But worth it).I saw a t least a 600 benchmade survival knife at my fleamarket for 175 and I didnt go back to get it.biggest mistake of my life

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i'll concur with knife being the handiest, sometimes find myself with four on board.
normally just three, but different sizes.
smith&wesson SWAT 4" locking folder
victoriknox multi-blade folder
a money clip knife one blade

carry these three all times
and occasionally a spiderco locking folder

WelderDan

Veteran
Yep, gotta go with the knife too. I've carried a knife since I was 8 or so. The original multi purpose tool

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

and as usual, if you ordered a new Randall knife today you'd be required to put a $50 (when I ordered in '08 or '09) deposit down, the wait is appx 18 months. They notify you & you pay the remaining balance of the 'old' price, as by now 18 mos later the knife you'd ordered has risen by $50-60 or more. So anyone wanting one would have to lay out the $50, lock into the current price, and also need to wait the 18mos; it makes an auction market that sells these Randall knives for more than current retail in most cases, only the less desirable models sit on the market unsold.

:yoinks:

just checked the website, yeah it's still a $50 deposit but the wait is now 5 years:
NOTE: ORDERS ARE LIMITED TO ONE KNIFE PER HOUSEHOLD EVERY THREE MONTHS.
Orders received now are being scheduled for shipment in approximately 5 years.

as I recall they did have limit as above, but a 5 year wait now makes the auction market even sweeter for sellers.

current pic of the Model 15 Airman, 5.5" blade ~ $415 today.
BAqnu51.jpg

a single piece of 1/4" stainless steel stock
M5xmJSl.jpg

this is the old Vietnam era Randall
that sold for $7,435 in '07 I believe

Efg12zz.jpg

big difference is the tang extending
past the handle for the lanyard hole.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
at least one astronaut took his Randall knife to the moon with him that i have read about. he supposedly said "if i'm up there and need a knife, i want the best damn knife i can find...":biggrin:

Green Squall

How do you guys sharpen you knife? After a lot of practicing, I still can't my Benchmade razor sharp with a 3 stone set. I've heard good things about the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but don't want to spend the money right now.

CaptainDankness

i'm going with a good fixed blade knife myself. self-defense weapon, duct tape it to a stick to hunt with, butcher meat. you can even shave with one if you know how to sharpen it...ask Jethro on NCIS about knives...:tiphat:

Yeah, a knife would have to be my #2 I have my Kabar on me at all times. Comes in handy often. But just so many things you can do with a chainsaw I even made some benches straight out of logs. Cut some lumber with a chainsaw mill fuck paying for wood.

Ice fishing too, fuck using an auger the chainsaw cuts through like butter. And self defense, nobody is going to fuck with a man with a chainsaw. :biggrin:

Of course my Glock is for self defense mostly just in the woods so many bear around not to mention mountain lions just have not seen one yet unfortunately. Never needed to pull my gun in public but their is always a chance someone might try going on a killing spree.

MrBungle

Scissors can be handy around the house... if I'm out and about, I keep a P38 can opener on my key chain, and a Ontario RATII folder in my pocket...

Latest posts

Latest posts