What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cotyledons being sucked low RH

doams

having problems with seedlings lately first one was inch from leds similar things showing on second one /she is 4-5inches from leds/.
room RH 21-25
room temps 23-25

RH in box <20 maybe 15?
with high temps so its very dry in there.

current one
picture.php

she is in this bricked coco that was dust dry then soaked in 5.8 water overnight..no nutes in it just phed water.
shes under dome already that helped with tips pointing down but the coco was kinda wet I am gonna rise room RH to better levels for now

Last edited:

doams

this was the first one just inch from leds similar things same coco but with calmag and some N /maybe that helped her last longer but there was stun and microscopic growth so shes no more rip/.

first one
picture.php

doams

just checked my ph pen and its not wrong.

my ph pen reads 4.0 solution as 4.1 and 7.0 solution as 7.1 but recalibrated when was at it /after 6 months or so but using ph pen storing solution few drops after every use everytime/.

started upping room RH from now on its at 36 and rising will update if that solved it..
I will flush her with mild calmag and some N in few days hope she make it
those humidifiers needs to be cleaned daily :(

doams

she got much worse in last 24h and wont make it.

now thinking light-burn is the problem 60w of leds is too much 20-30 would be better..

oh well :(

MedResearcher

Veteran
My guess, lack of nutrients and or some sort of nutrient problem from your medium as it is.

Curious why you are starting them in 100% coco?

How will you grow them once they get established, as in are you planning on running pure coco from seed to flower?

If you are dead set on using pure coco. Flush the new coco a bit to remove any excess salts, then flush it with a mild strength complete fertilizer within PH range. That way the plant has what it needs as soon as it needs it.

If you are open to moving away from pure Coco, I would suggest mixing some rich soil. The mix we use, the cotyledons will often still be green and attached for the first month. A good sign, that the plant is well fed and healthy. Organic soil is so forgiving once you get a good mix, and get a grasp on the watering.

When the plant gets hungry, it typically cannibalizes the cotyledons first then proceeds to the next set of leaves.

Easy way to cross out to much light, raise it or use less. Wouldn't be shocked if that helps a little since the plant wont need as much food with less light, but I would assume the same thing will happen just a little slower.

Don't give up, more seeds to grow. Couple changes and it should get easier imo. Pure Coco, is hydroponics. Hydro is very easy, once you get the science right. If the science is wrong, it just wont work.

Mr^^

doams

My guess, lack of nutrients and or some sort of nutrient problem from your medium as it is.

Curious why you are starting them in 100% coco?

How will you grow them once they get established, as in are you planning on running pure coco from seed to flower?

If you are dead set on using pure coco. Flush the new coco a bit to remove any excess salts, then flush it with a mild strength complete fertilizer within PH range. That way the plant has what it needs as soon as it needs it.

If you are open to moving away from pure Coco, I would suggest mixing some rich soil. The mix we use, the cotyledons will often still be green and attached for the first month. A good sign, that the plant is well fed and healthy. Organic soil is so forgiving once you get a good mix, and get a grasp on the watering.

When the plant gets hungry, it typically cannibalizes the cotyledons first then proceeds to the next set of leaves.

Easy way to cross out to much light, raise it or use less. Wouldn't be shocked if that helps a little since the plant wont need as much food with less light, but I would assume the same thing will happen just a little slower.

Don't give up, more seeds to grow. Couple changes and it should get easier imo. Pure Coco, is hydroponics. Hydro is very easy, once you get the science right. If the science is wrong, it just wont work.

Mr^^

gonna reuse current coco in the pot and wash it more then add little calmags and N soak it two times @5.5 . also will use only 25w of leds next time and dome too..

still think its light burn I will bet my left liver for that lol
Ive had no problems before but used just 25w of leds back then and all was fine.

bricked coco used in these two failed attempts was sahara sands dry which probably rised some salts to dangerous levels gonna check ppm and ph of runoff too next time..hate to see seeds wasted to my head stupidity and ignorance..but these things happen when essentials are ignored lesson learned and time wasted awesome.

MedResearcher

Veteran
lesson learned and time wasted awesome.

Heh, sounds like growing canna in a nutshell^^

If that was the only change, then it makes sense that its the problem.

Curious why you only add Cal/Mag/N, and not a little bit of the Micro/Macro formula.

Figure the Coco comes with some K, then you are adding Cal/Mag/N. So you almost got the most essential stuff, so I could see it working ok, but it should work even better if you have the rest of the essential minerals.

Was a good diagram, analogy of growing in this book I read. A wine barrel. Each slat of wood the barrel consisted of was a different mineral or element. Water, Oxygen, Co2, Light, N, Cal, Mag, K, P, Zinc, Iron, Copper, etc.. etc.. If you have everything, the barrel does its job, holds wine. If you are even missing 1 single thing(slat of wood), the barrel no longer holds wine, but it spills. Want to give the plant at least a little of everything it needs to get it to really perform.

To bad you weren't local, to many seeds around here to sprout in a lifetime or five.

Mr^^

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yep they are starving as the coco sucks the life out of them.

you need to give them a low dose of nutrient solution. ec 0.6 will get them to continue developing.

doams

yep they are starving as the coco sucks the life out of them.

you need to give them a low dose of nutrient solution. ec 0.6 will get them to continue developing.

dont think coco sucks those cotyledons coz:

this one was started with no nutes just phed water she was under dome and got some green thing going on on top of coco :D
picture.php

it is light burn and nothing else I say..
but will report back when new one is up under 20w to be 100% sure.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
that one just had more stored energy, it still looks really hungry don't you think?

it also looks like its got some pests. maybe i'm wrong but thats what it looks like.

if the leaves were wet under the light, then light burn is most definitely possible too imo.

doams

that one just had more stored energy, it still looks really hungry don't you think?

it also looks like its got some pests. maybe i'm wrong but thats what it looks like.

if the leaves were wet under the light, then light burn is most definitely possible too imo.

yep it was different coco maybe there was something added already
but pot was not watered from sprout /that dome was airtight it was hot in the box over 34C during lights on ../

that 2nd pic was taken upon opening the dome for the first time after approx. two weeks /dome was removed daily for few minutes in between days ofc/.

no pests that I know of havent seen any /like ever/.

after few days that green stuff on top of coco vanished so if pests were there they were gone since Ive let the coco dry.

:tiphat: