What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Newbie plant problem - help appreciated

Michael49

Those plants have only been fed big bloom for the 49 days?

Do u have a ppm or ec meter?

Yes and no.

Two questions:

1. Should I feed them a N rich neut such as the FF Grow Big which I have but haven't used yet?

2. Switch to Flower now or wait a week?

I feel like I need to switch to flower soon for two reasons: 1. Size of my tent (2X4X5) and 2. In the first week of March I will be out of the country for 10 days and I want to finish up my plants before then if I can.

Hows it looking?

Did you supplement the FFOF with any blood/ bone meal, dolomite lime or perlite? I believe those are all beneficial in organic grows.

Let me guess:

"Garden tip: Perfect for containers and ready to use right out of the bag. Ocean Forest® is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum fertilizer uptake. There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try an organic blend like FoxFarm Big Bloom® Liquid Plant Food to encourage strong branching and a sturdy, healthy growth habit."

You followed this to a tee?

Michael49

Thanks to all who have posted in my thread so far, your input is appreciated.

As a reminder I'm growing in FFOF. Two 300W LED's and a few CFL's (mostly for heat) - its cold in New England right now!!!

Here's an update guys.....

I'm now in Day 16 of Flower. I'm still getting many yellow / brown leaves, its almost exclusively the large/older fan leaves.

I cut back watering to every 4-5 days. I'm only feeding Roots Organic Buddha Bloom about 1 tsp/gallon every other watering. Trying to keep plants low with LST. I recently raised my LED's from 10-11" to about 16" as I was thinking perhaps some of my issue was light burn.

Water is pH'd at about 6.5. Temp averages about 73 with lights on, down to 59 with lights off. Plants still seem to be growing and getting some early buds despite the yellow/brown leaves.

Any other advice/suggestions?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ronbo51

Veteran
I'm not that deep into the organic world, but I'm trying. I am trying my first time to go only with water. I just flipped and everything looks good so far. But in looking around I ran across Slownickel's thread on cec data and what it means. The ratios of minerals have to stay in balance or shit goes bad. Calcium seems susceptible to becoming unavailable. I think adding anything from a bottle has a good chance of screwing things up even more.

I know it's not much help. If it were me I would top dress each pot with some espoma plant tone and some gypsum and scratch it into the top layer a bit and see what happens. And read some of that cec thread and make my own soil from scratch next time.

Is it just me or do these look a bit yellow all over compared to the pics on page 1? Probably in need of some nitrogen.I dont think its lights being to close. LED runs cooler plus you would be seeing leaf curling if it was heat.

Have you checked your soil PH?

Theres also a really good thread -"Organics for beginners"- created by BurnOne. It provides some proven soil mixes. These mixes/recipes (supposedly) only need water throughout the grow. Im sure this depends on your strain as well.

Michael49

Is it just me or do these look a bit yellow all over compared to the pics on page 1? Probably in need of some nitrogen.I dont think its lights being to close. LED runs cooler plus you would be seeing leaf curling if it was heat.

Have you checked your soil PH?

Yes, they look more yellow due to 6500K CFL's for Flower.

If they need nitrogen do you think using some more of the RO Buddha Bloom would be enough to fix the issue?

I've checked the pH of the effluent after watering - usually around 6.8 or so.

Im new to organics as well, but I think Ronbo51 is on to something...feed em something with a higher amount of nitrogen. Something for veg/growth to get them to green up some. They eat up alot of nitrogen the first couple weeks of flowering for the "stretch".

Michael49

Looking at photos I'm now wondering if this is Ca deficiency!! - I did add a little Cal-Mag about a month ago, but I'm wondering if I need a bit more. Anyone thing this is possible?

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Got any calmag? It should have a little nitrogen plus the extra calcium and magnesium couldn’t hurt. They look like they can definitely use a boost.

moonymonkey

you can check with a moisture meter see what numbers your looking at and what how plants lplant growth looks like.if they should slightly wilt for water and water 20 % over and plants still having problem ,the amont of water is wrong,for your environment,soil,lights,i just adjust to those factors it works fine.i like 1-2 on a moisture meter,your cud be slightly diff. watch the plants,if they should slight wilt for water,check first with moisture meter...then water...at that point its just a matter of getting the right amount of water that make them gorw like a jungle.peace mm/

Michael49

you can check with a moisture meter see what numbers your looking at and what how plants lplant growth looks like.if they should slightly wilt for water and water 20 % over and plants still having problem ,the amont of water is wrong,for your environment,soil,lights,i just adjust to those factors it works fine.i like 1-2 on a moisture meter,your cud be slightly diff. watch the plants,if they should slight wilt for water,check first with moisture meter...then water...at that point its just a matter of getting the right amount of water that make them gorw like a jungle.peace mm/

Thanks. I just ordered a moisture meter yesterday :)

Michael49

Decided to post this hear in addition to the Cannabis Infirmary forum......

I've noticed that the water drainage in my pots has worsened recently. My soil feels rock hard and 3 out of 4 of my plants take much longer than they should to dry out. I'm in FFOF with about 30% perilite. So I decided to "loosen things up" - I basically banged on the sides of the fabric pots with my hands quite vigorously - I feel like I was able to really loosen up the soil.

Man, the root balls on my plants are huge! - can they get rootbound in fabric pots? I'm in 3 gallon pots. Would it be completely lunatic to transplant to larger pots at this stage? (just starting wk 4 of flower).

Michael49

Despite my plants issues I'm getting some decent buds. This is Day 29 in flower. I suspect I will need to harvest somewhat early due to the condition of my plants.

I'm looking for mostly brown and curled pistils and cloudy trichomes - correct?

Here are a few bud shots....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looking good, its still got a ways to go. Expect more pistils and hopefully some density. Ive read when you have about 20% red trichs but depends on your preference.