What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inside Out Trees, Silo Op, custom RDWC, water cooled

Ttystikk

looking good mang! any more pictures of the DQ pre-chop or dry?

i'm pulling for you to hit that 20lb number haha
The twenty # number is what I'd call a theoretical maximum, it's not a number I expect to hit, ever- certainly not my first time out!

I think I've said it a million and one times now that this DQ run was flawed from the beginning with plants that were trained for horizontal thrown in ad hoc. This run was always more about proof of concept than testing any limits.

Having said that, it has proven that the trellis system works, and that ask if my equipment is compatible. It also pointed the way to increased yields and showed me some pitfalls to avoid.

Then when I say it was only 13oz/bulb, you'll understand that there is far more going on here than just the number. Only one plant took up more than a square yard of trellis, and they were all badly overcrowded which certainly hurt things.

Ttystikk

:biggrin:still here mate.:wave::good:
Hey that's cool- with 6000 posts, you gotta be telling somebody something SOMEWHERE, LOL! I'm interested in your take on this so far? It's the people with experience I'm most interested in hearing from, with the aim of avoiding more mistakes, ones that perhaps someone out there has already made?

Ttystikk

Love the show so far Ttystikk, the wire silos look sick... I've been using some plastic fence and its just not rugged enough for this application. On a side note, you said in this thread somewhere that you weren't pleased with how much of the trellis was left empty. Have you thought of doing 3-4 plants to fill it in a little more?

Hey, brother nice to see you!

I'm extremely happy with the wire silos. They are cheap, too; it's 2"x4" x 4' tall rolled mesh fencing. One 50' roll will set you back a whole $35 at Home dePot, cut it into 8 equal pieces 6'3" long and you'll have enough for four of my silos.

The reasons I like it are many!
-it's relatively rigid so it will hold its shape
-it's flexible and bend into shape easily
-it's very lightweight
-zinc coated outdoor grade so it should last in a damp growroom environment
-it supports all parts of the plant from the stalk and branches to the buds themselves, no additional support or bracing needed (so far)
-holes are big enough to get your hand through, which helps a lot
-the shape of it naturally acts as a guide to training so the entire plant remains in the 'goldilocks zone' of optimal distance from the bulb

Ttystikk

Love the show so far Ttystikk, the wire silos look sick... I've been using some plastic fence and its just not rugged enough for this application. On a side note, you said in this thread somewhere that you weren't pleased with how much of the trellis was left empty. Have you thought of doing 3-4 plants to fill it in a little more?
I hate it when I hit JUST ONE WRONG BUTTON- and my whole post disappears! Why doesn't this site autosave, like so many others do?

Wanted to address your question about plant counts, because that's what it's really about. The vision for this approach was to have one big rdwc tub handling one big plant that gets its own big trellis. While of course a grower can place as many plants around a circle as he likes, I'm after what amounts to modularity, or a building block approach.

At the moment, you can see the trellis are being used the long way, or landscape style. Many more sizing and arrangement options open up if these same panels were simply turned upright, portrait shuttle. It turns out this is the way towards bigger silos with the same basic building blocks.

Instead of using more plants to fill the panels, I've opted to grow one big one. This means I need to grow them big in veg! The reason the first batch weren't so big was because those plants were all I had available at the time. I know I can grow them big enough to fill in a trellis completely, and indeed I have one that already has, a Magic Merlin shown in the pics below. She's only three weeks in...

Attachments

• 20140130_151829.jpg
    20140130_151829.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20140130_151805.jpg
    20140130_151805.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 12
N

noyd666

look's all good to me Stikk, how long did you veg the one plant for?
I see an interesting water climate control system at DUTCH GARDEN SUPPLIES INTERNATIONAL=OPTICLIMATE CONTROL THREE IN ONE. HANDLES HEATING, COOLING, FILTERING, AND DEHUMIDIFIER IN ONE UNIT.6 to 24 600 watters and others.

Last edited:

Ttystikk

look's all good to me Stikk, how long did you veg the one plant for?
I see an interesting water climate control system at DUTCH GARDEN SUPPLIES INTERNATIONAL=OPTICLIMATE CONTROL THREE IN ONE. HANDLES HEATING, COOLING, FILTERING, AND DEHUMIDIFIER IN ONE UNIT.6 to 24 600 watters and others.

Individual plants veg for a total of 8 weeks, in a two week perpetual.

I've heard of the Opticlimate, and I'm interested in learning more about the system. It would be the opposite approach from the chiller I use now; it heats and (mostly) cools air in the room and emits hot water, something I personally find potentially attractive IF you're set up to utilize it effectively.

By contrast, my chiller makes water colder and emits hot air. It is important to remember that both units still have air conditioning compressors in them, which work the same way as the one in your living room window. The only differences are that they heat/cool water instead of air.

Hot air is easier to use without additional infrastructure than hit water. To heat my house all winter, my chiller sits in the office, where the heat it pulls from my op then warms my whole house! In Colorado, throughout the winter. I haven't run my furnace in three years, which all by itself has more than covered the original list price of the unit.

I don't know anything about the performance specifications of the Opticlimate, so I can't comment on them, but the 2 Ton ChillKing window mount unit I run can and regularly has cooled up to 10kW total and kept up fine.

Rather than plumb piping for hot water to use it, I've run hose throughout to move cold water to Icebox heat exchangers and water cooling coils, thus managing climate in every room, and even handling multiple rooms on a flip schedule, effectively meaning it punches at double its weight!

Mister_D

Veteran
So far you definitely have the right attitude to stick around here (people with shitty attitudes don't last :biggrin:). Best advice I can give ya is to just share, even if it seems no one is watching (cuz I assure you they are ;)). Ask questions, and take pictures of everything. You'd be surprised how many questions a few pics and descriptions can generate.

As for multi quote, you click the icon just to the right of the "quick reply" button in every post, it turns red when selected. Do the same for any other posts you'd like to quote, then on the last post you want selected click the "quote" button. This will take you to the advanced reply screen with all of the quotes you just selected.

Lastly, I have a question for you. Last summer I decided to try out a DTW water cooling for one of my rooms (just to prove concept ;)). I simply tapped into my cold water line, and ran it through a pickup truck radiator with a fan pushing air through the radiator into the room. This easily cooled 4600w in 100+ deg weather, with plenty of cooling capacity left over. My question being, have you ever considered using a radiator over those expensive ass ice boxes? I got a huge radiator (~24 x 36 x 3.5" thick) for under 200 bucks. Would simplify your hose setup considerably, and require less pump/power to run.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
I hate it when I hit JUST ONE WRONG BUTTON- and my whole post disappears! Why doesn't this site autosave, like so many others do?

Oh, I'm not the only one who does this shit??

My thread would be about 1000 times more informative if the shit I wrote the first time actually got submitted.

Instead, I type for an hour and a half, lose it, and my post goes

"Supdate, fuck ICMAG HERES SOME PICS"

Ttystikk

Oh, I'm not the only one who does this shit??

My thread would be about 1000 times more informative if the shit I wrote the first time actually got submitted.

Instead, I type for an hour and a half, lose it, and my post goes

"Supdate, fuck ICMAG HERES SOME PICS"

LOL- you've just convinced me to do all my writing in Gmail, and then cut n paste it here!

I do all my computing on a smartphone and many websites aren't as compatible as we wish they were.

Ttystikk

So far you definitely have the right attitude to stick around here (people with shitty attitudes don't last :biggrin:). Best advice I can give ya is to just share, even if it seems no one is watching (cuz I assure you they are ;)). Ask questions, and take pictures of everything. You'd be surprised how many questions a few pics and descriptions can generate.

As for multi quote, you click the icon just to the right of the "quick reply" button in every post, it turns red when selected. Do the same for any other posts you'd like to quote, then on the last post you want selected click the "quote" button. This will take you to the advanced reply screen with all of the quotes you just selected.

Lastly, I have a question for you. Last summer I decided to try out a DTW water cooling for one of my rooms (just to prove concept ;)). I simply tapped into my cold water line, and ran it through a pickup truck radiator with a fan pushing air through the radiator into the room. This easily cooled 4600w in 100+ deg weather, with plenty of cooling capacity left over. My question being, have you ever considered using a radiator over those expensive ass ice boxes? I got a huge radiator (~24 x 36 x 3.5" thick) for under 200 bucks. Would simplify your hose setup considerably, and require less pump/power to run.

Every site's culture is different, thanks for filing me in.

I will try it as you suggest. My smartphone may be to blame, I get a lot of odd compatibility issues.

I got a bunch of 8" Iceboxes as part of the deal when I bought my first chiller, that's why I have them. They're perfectly good units for what they are, the molded ducting makes it very easy to hook them up. I have just exceeded their ability to manage climate in my room, so I'm about to do as you suggest. I know I can put a squirrel cage blower and a radiator in some sheet metal ductwork for cheaper than $1250!

sahdgrower

hi

hi

Hey Tty I'm into it. I love innovation. I haven't got much pot growing experience but in for a penny in for a pound as far as I am concerned. I can't stop thinking about clever ways to get things done as I go along. So I am in the process of eliminating the air pump from my 5bucket RDWC system. I am very curious to see in more detai how you have accomplished this. More pictures would be great. Oh and here is something I just did that you could do for each silo. I mounted casters to a pallet and set my system on there to make it mobile.

Keep posting! We love it.

N

noyd666

here you go, hope you don't mind. see that t-piece, and hose heading uphill ? it goes' up higher to stop slurping water out when I pull hose out of barrel, pump run's all the time so it drags air down into water, bigger water disturbance on top than air pump and cheap.:tiphat:

Ttystikk

Hey Tty I'm into it. I love innovation. I haven't got much pot growing experience but in for a penny in for a pound as far as I am concerned. I can't stop thinking about clever ways to get things done as I go along. So I am in the process of eliminating the air pump from my 5bucket RDWC system. I am very curious to see in more detai how you have accomplished this. More pictures would be great. Oh and here is something I just did that you could do for each silo. I mounted casters to a pallet and set my system on there to make it mobile.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=50492&pictureid=1197753&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=50492&pictureid=1197751&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Keep posting! We love it.

Hey that's a great idea! I'm currently running every silo in the room on the same RDWC which would not allow for this, but it gives me other ideas...

When I get ideas, it's generally good to stand back- you never know what I might do next!

Ttystikk

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49972&pictureid=1196052&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] here you go, hope you don't mind. see that t-piece, and hose heading uphill ? it goes' up higher to stop slurping water out when I pull hose out of barrel, pump run's all the time so it drags air down into water, bigger water disturbance on top than air pump and cheap.:tiphat:

I confess I'm not seeing what you're driving at here. If the water bubbles go through your pump, that's going to cause premature wear.

I don't attempt to add air or bubbles at all, I just let the falling water do it.

Ttystikk

Sorry picture a little difficult to make out. Is it just a venturi valve?

The way I do mine is very simple; my water pump pushes water through a 1" line with tee fittings for 1/2", which then run to each tub site. I drilled a hole just big enough for a 1/2" elbow fitting in the lid, stuck one end through and pushed the tubing onto the other end. Now whenever the recirculation pump is running- should be 'always'- the water will create waterfalls in each tub.

N

noyd666

I confess I'm not seeing what you're driving at here. If the water bubbles go through your pump, that's going to cause premature wear.

I don't attempt to add air or bubbles at all, I just let the falling water do it.
:biggrin: not through pump, on outlet side of uv, simple venture affect drags air down hose with the returning water and bubbles up . it's only for water barrel, not grow buckets.

sahdgrower

The way I do mine is very simple; my water pump pushes water through a 1" line with tee fittings for 1/2", which then run to each tub site. I drilled a hole just big enough for a 1/2" elbow fitting in the lid, stuck one end through and pushed the tubing onto the other end. Now whenever the recirculation pump is running- should be 'always'- the water will create waterfalls in each tub.

So presumably with containers as large as yours the root masses do not get large enough to block the waterfall from generating turbulence? I am growing in 5 gallon bucket system based on Snypes design. My pump draws water from all the buckets (creating undercurrent) and waterfalls it into the control bucket. My thoughts to eliminate air pump where to make the recirc pump outlet 4' off the ground (or 36" above bucket top) and waterfall from this level back into the control and then to add another pump to draw from the control and pump to a hole in the top of each planter bucket. I don't have an oxygen meter so I would have no way of knowing if this adequately replaced my airstones.

Mister_D

Veteran
Every site's culture is different, thanks for filing me in.

I will try it as you suggest. My smartphone may be to blame, I get a lot of odd compatibility issues.

I got a bunch of 8" Iceboxes as part of the deal when I bought my first chiller, that's why I have them. They're perfectly good units for what they are, the molded ducting makes it very easy to hook them up. I have just exceeded their ability to manage climate in my room, so I'm about to do as you suggest. I know I can put a squirrel cage blower and a radiator in some sheet metal ductwork for cheaper than $1250!

I just hung my radiator from the ceiling with a 20" round circulation fan (type you get at Wal-Mart, home depot, etc for ~40 bucks.) hung right behind so it pushes air through the radiator. No fancy sheet metal needed, though I love me some over kill :biggrin:. Either way, you can definitely do it for less than $1250.

Latest posts

Latest posts