What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DONUTS...and why I love them!!!!!!

O

otis33

My wife is very healthy, eating mostly an organic vegetarian diet, but Mel-O-Cream is an exception we indulge in almost daily. We have tried some vegan and gluten-free donuts and they are horrible. Nothing can beat that sugary fried deliciousness:)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DUNKIN'
DONUTS

by far the best chain donut to date, I know the business from an owners perspective as a friend of mine (eventually) owned 17 franchised shops. Whereas you can't get a 'frappa-clappa-whateva' coffee shop style coffee @ DUNKIN' DONUTS you're certainly going to get a very tasty fresh ground brewed cup of java any time you stop.

Got some very funny memories of DD visits after drinking all night.

It's really quite odd that we were never arrested or hassled leaving the joint as we often shared our coffee & donuts with cops taking a break, do coffee/donut breaks defeat DUI arrests in video games? they used to irl.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
name of the thread fooled me into thinking it was a vert grow thread....

anyhow ya i love donuts, who wouldnt?

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
My bro got married late last year, and at the reception they had got 2 dozen assorted boxes of Krispy Kreme. Barely any got eaten and the boxes were shared out with the family.
I had a Homer Simpson moment (laaaarrgggl).
I have been experiencing a strong craving for a "Luther Burger", the infamous donut bacon cheese burger (normal bun on bottom, half a donut on top) invented by Luther Vandross. If food like that is wrong, then I don't wanna be right. I think I'd make it a donut bacon mushroom double swiss though.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Dunkin's donuts are garbage and have gotten worse over the years and much smaller.

Don't talk to me about food getting smaller.
Wagon Wheels (similar to moon pie)
They were huge when I was a kid, considerably bigger than a CD, now they are pathetic, not much bigger than a chocolate digestive.
Mars bars...where have my chunky chocolate ripples on the top gone and where has the rest of the length gone.
Don't get me started on Snickers... I remember when it was called "Marathon", bloody multi-national harmonisation of snack names, also, King sized my arse.
Another thing, every Xmas, we buy lots of tins of Quality street and Cadburys roses. Quality street, WTF happened to my green triangles, much smaller than they used to be, as is the tin which now contains less purple hazelnut caramels, less caramel cups, less green triangles and lots more toffees which nobody bloody eats, and they got rid of the coconut chewy one too (imagine my rage face).
Bloody health fascists getting their way again probably, they ruined Pot Noodles too by getting all the yummy artificial flavourings taken out. Screw you Jamie Oliver, go bake your head in the trendy wood oven in your garden.
The sliced ham I buy to put on bagels and baguettes, used to be 5 slices in a pack, now it's 4... The Chinese takeaway used to give you your rice in the same size 650ml container as your curry, now you only get 500ml of rice. Bastards, why can't you just put the price up if your costs have gone up, now my plate is too sloppy. I'd go elsewhere if your curry wasn't so bloody awesome.
Finally, why when I go to the supermarket are my beers 3 for 5 pounds, but there are only ever 2 on the damned shelf, no matter the time of day.

Rant over.
:biggrin:

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
Donuts are ok. I like the plain cake donuts (no icing).

However, I will push you down to get to a well made chocolate eclair . . . just saying. :biggrin:

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I go to Voodoo Doughnuts with ladies when I am in Portland. She stands in the long line to get the doughnuts while I go to a little bar with tables outside where I enjoy a beer with my dogs.

Voodoo doughnuts puts something different in the dough. I don't know what, but they put something in it different.

I live near a Crispy Kreme, well it is on my way downtown. I have to pick up people at the train a lot it seems (visitors from Portland) and I always have to take them to Crispy Kreme. I am getting to where I cannot stand the smell of that place anymore though.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I've never had a malasada... but I find I enjoy saying it repeatedly at the moment.

Is it like a beignet?

huligun - I love how Krispy Kreme smells!!! Hot fat and frying dough just do it for me though they aren't for everybody. That leaves more for me :)

Here's a pic of me watching the magic happen...

picture.php

watts

ohms
Veteran
maybe you gotta go early in the morning, but the last time i had dunkin donuts it was awful. Dried out, all of them. I do like a hot fresh krispy kreme. Nothing fancy.

castout

Veteran
Mrs. Babba, you know what a foodie I am, and donuts are the ULTIMATE guilty pleasure!!!!!! HOPS5K, I get the munchies anytime there is a donut in 100 feet...my doney sense goes off. Mister D and Yortbogey, Voodoo is now on the list!!!! Iamoregone, and Pinball Wizard, I try to not do Krispy Kreme, Tim Horton's, Dunkin Donuts...they are all part of the big business machine, that fucks us all......but, when I have the munchies hard....those fuckin' donut holes beckon, and I have no will to resist!!!! Cough, you are indeed blessed to have eaten so many donuts!!!! Al, I really did dig their sugar raised. Kolah, def not a cop, lol. Frito, when the donut is on, there is NOTHING better!!!! Sea Maiden, my dear sister...we think alike...love beignets! Fred El Gato, I weigh 115, and half of that is in donut weight, the coffee was TOH's...I had a big glass of chocolate milk, made with QUICK, so you can crunch the flavor crystals!!!!! ABJA, I am so bummed I missed those spots, when we did cali NnJ, and landed at the airport in San Jose. HidingInThehaze, I love the chocolate on the boston creme, but only like the creme if is amde with heavy whipping creme. Thank you all for the recommendations!!!!!

shredGnar

I have been to dount shops from coast to coast, and I simply ADORE these scrumptious and sweet fried concoctions!!!!!! I like fry cakes, raised, honey dipped, strawberry frosted, chocolate honey dipped, cinnamon buns, sugar twists, chocolate frosted.....ohhhh.....the list goes on and on. I have had Kane's Donuts in Saugus Ma, Ma's Donuts in New Bedford Ma, Daylight Donuts in Breckenridge CO, Schat's Bakery in Mammoth Lakes Ca, Banbury Cross in Salt Lake City Ut, Bob's Donuts and Pastry San Francisco Ca, Glazed and Confused Denver Co, Doughnut Plant New York NY, and the list goes on and on. I would really like people to weigh in on some of their fave donut shops. I am thinking of going on a culinary adventure road trip this summer, and I want to hit as many spots as possible on this culinary road trip. This is a bucket list thing for me, a culinary road trip. My plans are to section off the country, and hit as many food places as I can cram in(no pun intended), in each section of the country. Donuts are an integral part of the trip!!!!!! Here is my breakfats today, and yes, I will be eating 6 of these beauties!!! The other 2, I have to share with TOH...but he can't have as many as me, because of his blood sugar. Have a good one, and stay HIGH, it's better than being lOw!!!!!

How about milk run donuts in steamboat?

If not it needs to be next on your list!