What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

K

Kelly.

i have a few questions about these.
my local hydro store sell the drippers, but i havent seen the 'main drip line', pressure reducer or extra 3mm 'drip line'

would it be better for me to just order a set of these and some extra 3mm line, or try to source the parts locally? it seems like these are specific parts and can/should only be ordered from a BM supplier.

from what i can see in this thread:
any res will do, as long as it is leakproof.
you tap the res, and add the 'main feed line' that feed the bluemat drippers. (how big is the main feed line)
you "t" the drippers into the main feed line with the supplied "t".
3mm tubing runs from the main line through the top of the dripper, and the dripper sits in the soil.
adjust dripper to desired flow.

where does the pressure reducer come in to play?

COhomegrown - did you get these locally? if so please pm me where. the boulder area hydro stores dont seem to have them as a kit, only the emitters...
thanks in advance.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
K

Kelly.

i have a few questions about these.
my local hydro store sell the drippers, but i havent seen the 'main drip line', pressure reducer or extra 3mm 'drip line'

would it be better for me to just order a set of these and some extra 3mm line, or try to source the parts locally? it seems like these are specific parts and can/should only be ordered from a BM supplier.

from what i can see in this thread:
any res will do, as long as it is leakproof.
you tap the res, and add the 'main feed line' that feed the bluemat drippers. (how big is the main feed line)
you "t" the drippers into the main feed line with the supplied "t".
3mm tubing runs from the main line through the top of the dripper, and the dripper sits in the soil.
adjust dripper to desired flow.

is that close?

anyone have pics of each part of the setup? (res-line connection, t's for drippers)
would i get the extra 3mm line at the grow store or at lowes/homedepot ?

magicbean

Wrong ones :badday::badday::badday:

I know they're not the "proper" ones, but would using them have any adverse effect? I didn't originally buy them for cannabis, but the idea of "set it and forget it" with nothing but a reservoir and a ceramic cone is very attractive in my current situation. So far the young plants are looking alright, if not a bit malnourished. I was warned about root rot, can anyone confirm this?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
is that close?

anyone have pics of each part of the setup? (res-line connection, t's for drippers)
would i get the extra 3mm line at the grow store or at lowes/homedepot ?

Ok, I went through this a few months ago:

the MM tubing you need is NOT universal or found anywhere, it's 2mm ID/3MM OD silicone tubing and you MUST use the stuff from Tropf Blumat or it won't work right (the material has to be very soft for the valve to pinch it shut.)

Past that, you CAN use 3/32" barbed nylon plastic tees from kentsystems.com to connect them into any hose or manifold you want.

I used a regular 3/4" bl;ack poly hose as a manifold, drilled a 3/32" hole in it and punched the tee into that, and hung a pair of drippers off it. Works dandy. The nice thing about the 3/4" line is I can use regular hydro store tray fittings, elbows, tees and shutoff valves to plumb them, and it's very flexible and cheap.

So yes the things you need from Tropf Blumat are the drippers and 3mm line, after that you can use the parts above.

What is the highest height any of you have your reservoirs at ??

Being that I'm in a vert setup I affraid of having my reservoir's too high for reasons like:

A.) they fall

B.) they're too heavy to lift and I injure myself and / or drop them

so i'm thinking of just going the pump + feedline route

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
i wonder if there would be a way to DIY these items.... anyone think so?

Nope, not a chance. CLosest you can get is a wick system for a DIY, but I don't see wick systems as practical on larger grows.

Although, if you had a 4" PVC pipe circulating to a res (a la MPB) and had buckets sitting over it, the wick could hang into the pipe through the bottom of the bucket. The biggest difference between that and Blumats is you can't adjust the water volume from the wick, it's always gonna be damp.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I know they're not the "proper" ones, but would using them have any adverse effect? I didn't originally buy them for cannabis, but the idea of "set it and forget it" with nothing but a reservoir and a ceramic cone is very attractive in my current situation. So far the young plants are looking alright, if not a bit malnourished. I was warned about root rot, can anyone confirm this?

They are not properly adjustable.
Thought about them for keeping mothers,etc. then said fuckit, I might as well use a regular one.

Latest posts

Latest posts