What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldest seeds you've ever popped?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Was curious to what the oldest seeds you all have had success getting to germinate.

I've gotten 4 year old seeds to pop at around an 80% rate but haven't tried anything older than that.

mack 10

Veteran
01, some asia girl from reeferman, about 60percent germed
kept in fridge the whole time

currently trying to pop some Mexican seeds from ixtapa. don't know how old they are but something about them just gives me the feeling they wont come easy.

meizzwang

13 year old shiva northern lights x bubblegum seeds (made in 2003, popped in 2016), seeds were dried at room temperature for 24 hours, sealed in an air-tight container, and stored in the fridge the whole time (minus a few hours out of the fridge when I moved several times). 3/3 popped although they took a bit longer to sprout. My guess is that was luck, if popping 20+ of these seeds, I'd expect to have a much lower germination percentage.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Purple Kush s1 x ( Purple Wreck x Blue Moonshine ) I made around 2006, 2007.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2019-01-28 21.21.13.jpg
    2019-01-28 21.21.13.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 27
  • 2019-01-28 21.20.44.jpg
    2019-01-28 21.20.44.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 35

bigbadbiddy

over 20 year old Pure Power Plant seeds from Nirvana...

Were kept in the original packaging (which was just a printed paper bag sealed with glue, like a letter envelope) at room temperature and in the dark. No dessicant, no freezer, no fridge, nothing.

0/12 germinated :(

After that try I vowed to always at least scuff the seeds with fine sandpaper when I try to germinate old seeds.

Also have since informed myself about proper storage and now keep seeds I don't plan to run in the next 5 or so years in black plastic tubes filled with cotton and dessicant in the freezer.

Should also note that I did the same with the Nirvana PPP (after they were kept in original packaging at room temp and in the dark for 20+ years). So the freezing after such a long time might also have been what gave them the fatal hit...

So another lesson I learned:
If you do get such old beans that were not "properly" stored, don't freeze them first xD

Som 2

I have seeds of f2s of Mexican commercial that I made in 1989 that are still germinating at 80%. I've had them in the freezer for the entire time after I originally dried them. The smoke isn't that good but I test sprouted them a few years ago to see if they were still viable. My 1993 Mexican "kind bud" is much, much better and still one of my regular strains to grow.

this is the weed my seeds came from. got 11 total. only 8 were fully developed/viable. trying to get 3 to go right now. one was spit on its own and had a tail peeking out! the other 2 i helped by gently cracking the shells. i popped the other 5 before but they didn't work out. really hoping these work. grown well, i feel like this bud could be half decent.

picture.php

Lolo94

21 years. Seeds were placed in glass jar with rice and jar was vaccuum sealed. Sealed jar was placed in the fridge vegie bin.

I wood

Thunk, I think. Not sure just how old they are though. 40% germ rate was as expected. I recall reading a thread from 2008 mentioning their low germ rate at the time.

Had about 90 % germination on some chocolate chunk seeds I made after 15 years in the fridge, still didn’t care for it much.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I found two Female Seeds NL x BB seeds from me drawer, they are from 2006 or so. Both germinated and surfaced, but look like only one will make it. These were kept cool and dry.

Also trying Grindhouse Seeds 'the prophet' beans from 2009(ish), 1/6 popped so far, not looking good for the others.. No signs of life. The beans didn't look too good to begin with either, kinda pale and thing. Don't know how these were stored, bought em from a charity auction in 2016.

Defacto

I've germinated seeds over 20 years old. Asparagus, cannabis, or whatever seem to have a few more that don't sprout but still the majority do when packed into mason jars and kept continuously frozen. (Not in a frost free freezer.)

imho, desiccant with seeds is the last thing one would want.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
1.) 88/89' Hashplant , 3 out of 150 popped then died being that they were weaklings.

2.) 97' Neville's Haze, 12 out of 73 popped. 7 above ground with serrated leaves, while 5 are still underground growing slow.

Oxfarm

6 year old seeds, stored at room temp, only 1/120 germinated and grew into a plant. About 10 germinated, shell cracked open, a tiny tail came out, but then no further growth.

mack 10

Veteran
You need to steralise these old seeds,
If they crack open they have a good chance.

G

We put half a pack 8 seeds of sensi mexican sativa that were 15+ years old in paper towels and got 1 to germ.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts