What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ROOTED clones in refrigerator stasis

dlcain

Hey folks,
Is it possible to keep rockwool rooted clones in stasis in the fridge? If so, how long? I searched and found the threads for storing unrooted cuttings, but not rooted clones.

Thx,
-d

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cold temps will make for slow growth.
It should work. I don't see why it wouldn't.

yahooman

i once had unrooted cuttings in a glass of water in my fridge for over 5 weeks,will work for sure!

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Yes they still work after a couple few nights in the fridge. Had them gifted to myself, and I've gifted others rooted cuts as well.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
they will last a while, but with no light they will not last for weeks on end. if you had a weak light in there with them on a 4 on 4 off timer, you could store them for ages. growth will be slowed right down. this needs testing, i know you can keep unrooted cuts in the fridge for a week np and still get them to root. so rooted should be fine for a while too.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
I have unrooted clones in the freezer for months, 6 to be exact. I take a few out when I need them. They are rigid and good to go. Havent ever tried rooted though.

edit- This is not my ideal situation...I was in a pinch and was told about this from someone I could believe. Most consistent rooters were in the 1-3mo range. From there, just been messing with other times.

Last edited:

meadowman

i find that hard to believe...not saying your lying, but wouldn't freezing break down the cells n such? i've kept unrooted cuts in fridge for well over a month with no problems rooting.

CannaBruh

Freezing seeds seems to work fine, why wouldn't freezing cuts. Some frogs come back to life after being frozen so I wouldn't rule it out until you've tried it a few times unsuccessfully.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Freezing seeds seems to work fine, why wouldn't freezing cuts. Some frogs come back to life after being frozen so I wouldn't rule it out until you've tried it a few times unsuccessfully.

:laughing: No need to waste clones trying this. They will turn to mush.:biggrin: Those frogs make their own antifreeze.:biggrin:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
to me it doesn't make sense that it would work as freezing the leaves will kill them, just like a heavy frost will. further more try freezing lettuce or some leafy salad, it just melts to mush when you defreeze it. i didnt actually try on clones, but i don't think i need to. not unless someone does a convincing experiment, then i might try 1 branch just for the heck of it, lol. if it was possible you would be solving an age old problem for every single breeder or pollen chucker out there lol. imagine how many genetics you could store, lol. what an awesome way to back up your mums lmao! oh how i wish this was possible...

TripleDraw27

Veteran
:laughing: No need to waste clones trying this. They will turn to mush.:biggrin: Those frogs make their own antifreeze.:biggrin:

Have you tried it? I am guessing you havent. Well, give it a go then! It was a surprising experiment for me!
And " no need to waste clones", is a bullshit comment. Is two fucking clones going to break your bank? And bless the heart of any turd that would try this with a whole batch. That logical gent will get sorted via Darwin.

Probably variety specific, I dont know ? Maybe some will handle, some wont...just gotta try, mine worked...suprised the shit out of me. I could go into my freezer and you could hear me snap a stem. Thats not mush. I dont willy nilly throw them into a freezer either. I go a bit overboard with wrapping my bags. One of the older heads who showed this to me, was on here at one time. I learned it here...where there's all sorts of random, weird and solid bits of info, and sometimes...you gotta just try things. And it worked for me. So i am mentioning it...thats cool right? Stoned, you have always been a cynical, salty guy. I come back to this forum after many years, and its literally the same emoji's and same salt. Good god I like your vigor...Anyway Im not saying its the end all. Its just, I was in a pinch one day, and someone told me to do this, I did it with just faith. It worked, I have repeated this process 3 times and no...its not ideal, but it worked.

purple_man

Veteran
high fambz!

come on, of course "logic" says it wont work, BUT why don't the naysayers toss some branches into the freezer for a week, take them out and see whats up???

or even better, let us cherrish it as another potential cannamyth??? muhahahhaa

blessss
ps.: never tried it myself, but branches in water cups last for weeks in the refridgerator with no trouble, but branches in the freezer who knows :)

CannaBruh

If they're dry, as in freshly taken from a living plant, and stored in a freezer I am not sure it wouldn't work, but not confident it would.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Its weird, goes against all my senses and urges. Try a cut or two of something you can afford to lose. I will note, because I was in the situation I was in...the cuts I had made were woodier. not what I prefer for my normal cuts. Not sure that matters. Just trying to think of variables. *Checking freezer temp. Its not the best of freezers, as in she's old and in my garage in the desert.. I will gather all the variables and edit them in so I dont flood OPs thread lol.

For sure as someone said above me here, you can fridge them up for weeks. As long as that cut is cold, it will hold its firmness, pretty common and important info. So when the man told me about this, I had to try. I also blew it off as bullshit. I even hate bringing this all up actually lol...cause it will just cause cat fighting. Its not a big deal, fun thing to attempt and be suprised from. Since trying this, Also kept some in the fridge, and those held up for about 4 weeks. There must be a cold sweet spot..who knows.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Have you tried it? I am guessing you havent. Well, give it a go then! It was a surprising experiment for me!
And " no need to waste clones", is a bullshit comment. Is two fucking clones going to break your bank? And bless the heart of any turd that would try this with a whole batch. That logical gent will get sorted via Darwin.

Probably variety specific, I dont know ? Maybe some will handle, some wont...just gotta try, mine worked...suprised the shit out of me. I could go into my freezer and you could hear me snap a stem. Thats not mush. I dont willy nilly throw them into a freezer either. I go a bit overboard with wrapping my bags. One of the older heads who showed this to me, was on here at one time. I learned it here...where there's all sorts of random, weird and solid bits of info, and sometimes...you gotta just try things. And it worked for me. So i am mentioning it...thats cool right? Stoned, you have always been a cynical, salty guy. I come back to this forum after many years, and its literally the same emoji's and same salt. Good god I like your vigor...Anyway Im not saying its the end all. Its just, I was in a pinch one day, and someone told me to do this, I did it with just faith. It worked, I have repeated this process 3 times and no...its not ideal, but it worked.

Ya I'm a salty old fuck, gotta agree with ya there. I wouldn't have said shit about this if I didn't live in natures freezer. I'm a fucking expert on what freezing does to every object on earth including my body, luckily I've only lost skin turning black and falling off.:biggrin: In living things freezing means the liquid in each cell freezes and bursts the cell walls. No exception unless the living thing produces antifreeze. Even some trees up here start cracking and bursting open at 50 to 60 below. I've had to move marijuana plants a few times for security and 15 minutes at 30 below kills them dead. After finding males sometimes in winter I stick them out on the porch to see how long they last, It ain't very long.:biggrin: I guess you found some marijuana strains that make antifreeze to prevent their cell walls from bursting so I apologize for calling BS:tiphat:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
logic tells me this can't work, would be so very useful that i will throw a couple branches in my freezer and make them into clones next time it's time to make some. but yeah if this worked, everyone would keep all kinds of strains in the freezer instead of having tents full of mums.

Latest posts

Latest posts