What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

construction stories. the good and the bad

CoCoSativas

More than 30 years ago, a very good buddy of mine was building a fancy fence in the customers backyard.
He was attaching some panels of redwood lattice to the 4x4 fence posts with a T-nailer and small wire gauge, one and a half inch T-nails...
He got going too fast and put a t-nail through his thumbnail and into the 4x4 post.. Ouch!
He reached over to his toolbox to get the side cutters, to cut the head off the t-nail. The side cutters were 8 inches beyond the reach of his other hand..
His helper was in the front yard operating the cement mixer and couldn't hear him hollering for 15 minutes, while my buddy stood there helpless, nailed to a fence post!
He didn't hear the last of that one, from his friends, for a very long time....

Those kinda nail ons are always pretty funny. Ive never done it but seen it countless times. I hear the worst is the clipped head framing naAL. That comes from a dude who has nailed himself a bunch of times... Hes wack. Only guy I ever heard of whos nailed himself with every nailer going. That includes a concrete powder charge hilti which I saw firsthand and a floorin stapler. Yes im serious it happened.

Than God no ones put up any saw cut storries. Those are the accidents no one really wants to hear about. They are so gross and ive seen too many to count. I hope everyone who reads this whos not that skilled with a saw remember they can be very dangerous, several even deadly. I opperate a tablesaw without a gaurd (yeah yeah saftey guys out there go cry Im a hardwood floor guy originally so choke on your tears I need my saw like that) theres so many risks. Ive cut myself once which I will not describe other than I was very lucky and lost no function or pieces. I had been using tablesaw for about 6 years at that point, made a mistake and plywood board bucked. I got cut and it would have happened gaurd or not, so alway be caeful with powwered saws. Even handsaws, any cutting tool. Show them respect or expect a nasty bite.

CoCoSativas

That's right. I had done a lot of boundary work before I started serious construction work. I was really lucky to end up with a seriously experienced rod man. He could have ran crews anywhere but didn't want the responsibility. He taught me a lot and we went on to work some shutdowns together as a team. Met some good folks.

I was lucky I learned everything from old timers so I got a education in construction you couldnt pay for. I have taken courses and read books to update but ive been lucky to recieve some amazing experience from some pretty good people too.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Fresh out of the Army (early 70s) and they were building a simple box styled house down the street where I rented...so I asked for a job and got it. The foundation was recently poured and the crew was framing the perimeter walls and my job was to follow them with plywood sheeting. Simple task without complication...right? Wrong--someone goofed (measure twice...cut once) and the back wall of the house was about 16" longer than the front wall. Small enough to not be noticed with the naked eye...but it did make for interesting build--as I was the one to tell the boss he fucked up when he poured the foundation. LOL.

They finished the house anyway and I pity the poor fool that bought it. Imagine measuring for carpet--not one room was a perfect square, rather they were "isosceles trapezoids". Comparing lengths of "parallel" walls of any room, the wall towards the back of the house would always measure 3-6" longer.

And then one summer I helped a buddy to build an addition for his mother (they lived on an Indian Reservation...so building codes need not apply, lol). For footings they dug a hole, placed empty gallon sized glass jars and while holding 4x4 footer inside the jar...the jar was filled with concrete and reburied. When they ran out of 4x4s they nailed 2 2x4s together...lol. The crazy shit I saw at the Rez still makes me laugh today.

CoCoSativas

Fresh out of the Army (early 70s) and they were building a simple box styled house down the street where I rented...so I asked for a job and got it. The foundation was recently poured and the crew was framing the perimeter walls and my job was to follow them with plywood sheeting. Simple task without complication...right? Wrong--someone goofed (measure twice...cut once) and the back wall of the house was about 16" longer than the front wall. Small enough to not be noticed with the naked eye...but it did make for interesting build--as I was the one to tell the boss he fucked up when he poured the foundation. LOL.

They finished the house anyway and I pity the poor fool that bought it. Imagine measuring for carpet--not one room was a perfect square, rather they were "isosceles trapezoids". Comparing lengths of "parallel" walls of any room, the wall towards the back of the house would always measure 3-6" longer.

And then one summer I helped a buddy to build an addition for his mother (they lived on an Indian Reservation...so building codes need not apply, lol). For footings they dug a hole, placed empty gallon sized glass jars and while holding 4x4 footer inside the jar...the jar was filled with concrete and reburied. When they ran out of 4x4s they nailed 2 2x4s together...lol. The crazy shit I saw at the Rez still makes me laugh today.

Ahahahaha :laughing: the shit that goes down on the reservations. Their houses are scary...
In my area they blacked out the speed limit signs on the rez. I love driving though there...they let me because im down with natives and I rock their art. I collect it and I got it on my work truck, all over my house, my icmag avatar. Half my work shirts have haida on it... Lots of times they think I might even have native blood. I dont. Im white as it gets...

CoCoSativas

:laughing:

Gotta love old houses. Nice basement bedroom window. I did a quote in this joint today. Good luck in a fire... Wow back in the day no one thought about getting out of a fire.

Thank God for modern building code... Buy old houses at your own risk. I charge 3 grand to cut out and instal a window... Theres 5 in this place...

:laughing:

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
you don't need a respirator when spraying water based paint ya pussy! lol I must have sprayed 100,000 gallons of paint without a mask with maybe a tshirt or rag wrapped around my head if I was spraying behr or similar ammonia containing paint...so many stories, and sooo glad I don't do it much more than occasionally anymore.

one time I was about 20yrs old and running a crew on some tract housing and had literally just finished spraying the last house of the last phase and me and my crew decided to get a couple cases of beer and have a pow-wow in the last house...we're smoking, and drinkin and being all loud and then out of nowhere the super comes walking in...he looks at me with a beer in my hand no more than 30 seconds after we were blowing clouds, and said "looks like you got it all finished up huh?" I said "yep" he said "good job" and walked out of the house...the guy had to have thought I was going to fail, running a job that size at 20 years old, but I had been painting since I was 12, and could paint circles around anyone...on that same job I sprayed 6 houses on a sunday after losing the first 4 hours of my morning to a sprayer that wouldn't start because the piece of shit wasn't fucking level enough (arghhhhhh!)

CoCoSativas

you don't need a respirator when spraying water based paint ya pussy! lol I must have sprayed 100,000 gallons of paint without a mask with maybe a tshirt or rag wrapped around my head if I was spraying behr or similar ammonia containing paint...so many stories, and sooo glad I don't do it much more than occasionally anymore.

one time I was about 20yrs old and running a crew on some tract housing and had literally just finished spraying the last house of the last phase and me and my crew decided to get a couple cases of beer and have a pow-wow in the last house...we're smoking, and drinkin and being all loud and then out of nowhere the super comes walking in...he looks at me with a beer in my hand no more than 30 seconds after we were blowing clouds, and said "looks like you got it all finished up huh?" I said "yep" he said "good job" and walked out of the house...the guy had to have thought I was going to fail, running a job that size at 20 years old, but I had been painting since I was 12, and could paint circles around anyone...on that same job I sprayed 6 houses on a sunday after losing the first 4 hours of my morning to a sprayer that wouldn't start because the piece of shit wasn't fucking level enough (arghhhhhh!)

Yo I dont inhale paint period. My uncles been doing it for 30 years and hes pretty messed up. He dosent protect himself from goof off (graffiti blue cap), which Ive personally hallucinated from, sanding old paint... He never wears a mask and hes strait fucked. Ive watched him slither like a snake up stairs... To be a asshole... Thats how out of it he is. He screams and rants at 4 in the morning... Yo some stuff is safe to spray without a mask. Lots of it... Id wear the mask. I wear mine regardless. You might think its stupid, it makes me feel safer, keeps shit out of my mouth and lungs, and potentially hazardous stuff out of my body.

I dont inhale dust and fumes. Lots of painters do, im not a painter. I do it sometimes because I can. I dont inhale dust and fumes because I dont have too. Same thing with drywall. I wear a mask for that too.

Think im a pussy all you want, but I only clog my lungs with smoke I want to inhale. Not random nasties. Ill pass. Now sawdust on the other hand... Im good with that. Not scared of that unless im running my edger across a subfloor. Hell no im breathing that in. You can if you want but I dont.

For the cost of 50 bucks for a fit test, 350 for a full face respirator I dont breath in all the harmful stuff I see in a day. If you had to go into some of these mold houses and cement the vents because theres human shit in them, you be my guest and dont wear a respirator. Man theres so much you cant see that can mess you up. I dont take any chances, if its not fresh cut lumber and im worried about dust or fumes, I put on my mask.

Mask or not, do you stare at the ceiling with your mouth gaping, catching overspray or mist in the air? If you do maybe you should be at the next "favorite sawdust meeting" we can add a a catagory for favorite paint flavours. Mmm oil latex hybrid, sounds amazing dosent it? Lol I wouldnt know. Anyway You sound like your brain works so I doubt thats something you are into. Gives a whole new meaning to catching vapours though...

Ill give you thats alot of spraying to do. Im not really a fan of spraying but I dont mind cutting and rolling. I can spray, just not crazy about the movements, id rather hit something with a mallet or hammer

Oh yeah, BTW he wasnt spraying water based paint. He was spraying kilz dog. That would be oil based primer. I dont know if you catagorize that as safe to inhale but I dont particularly. Heres a copy amd paste right from kilz page dude. Huff it if you want but...

CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. VAPOR HARMFUL: May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache, or nausea. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation.

USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION: Do not breathe vapors or spray mist. Ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headache, or dizziness, or if air monitoring demonstrates vapor / mist levels are above applicable limits, wear an appropriate, properly fitted respirator (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) during and after application. Follow respirator manufacturer’s direction for respirator use. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating.

NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal.

Yeah folks, dont breath fumes because someone calls you a pussy for pulling out a mask. I dont play with that stuff, solvents sent me to the hospital once. Bad goof off trip yo, dont work with that all day without gloves and a mask...

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My brother and I hung drywall together for over 15 yrs.In the unit next to ours Big Doug was breaking in a new rookie.Doug was 6'4"and could pick up a 4 x 12 sheet ,flip it up by himself,and press it to an 8 ft ceiling(huge wingspan).Anyway he's letting this kid cut board with a t square and he manages to cut a good chunk of his thumb off in the first 1/2 hr,blood everywhere he runs out of the unit and sticks his hand in the ice water(there goes the drinking water)Big Doug picks up the piece of thumb and nails it to the wall...And that's how Hamburger Helper got his name

S

sourpuss

Heres a story. Funny or not lessons to be learned....

Hot day.... belt sander..... baggie shorts..... and a penis..... end of story half a penis is left......

CoCoSativas

My brother and I hung drywall together for over 15 yrs.In the unit next to ours Big Doug was breaking in a new rookie.Doug was 6'4"and could pick up a 4 x 12 sheet ,flip it up by himself,and press it to an 8 ft ceiling(huge wingspan).Anyway he's letting this kid cut board with a t square and he manages to cut a good chunk of his thumb off in the first 1/2 hr,blood everywhere he runs out of the unit and sticks his hand in the ice water(there goes the drinking water)Big Doug picks up the piece of thumb and nails it to the wall...And that's how Hamburger Helper got his name

Ahahaha thats pretty good. Nailing the thumb to the wall is deffinitly picture worthy in my books.

Yeah folks little injuries are funny. Losing major pieces and shit... Not so much. Tip of a fingers not so bad unless its tattooed. Losing a tattoo is sad stuff, they are with you for life if you dont cut the piece carrying it off. I almost did it with one of mine on a tablesaw, was real lucky. Would have lost a tattoo too, it was my left index. Woulda pissed me off real bad.

CoCoSativas

Heres a story. Funny or not lessons to be learned....

Hot day.... belt sander..... baggie shorts..... and a penis..... end of story half a penis is left......

Deffinitly not funny... I feel bad for someone to have that happen thats some ragged ass shit...

Thanks for sparing us the details no one want to know thos. Even if that guy was a dumbass rookie I wowouldnt wish that happen to anyone.

Well friends let this be a lesson. Take safety seriously, dont opperate equipment you dont know how too, and slow down and make sure you arent putting yourself or others at risk when you work. Hopefully some homeowners read the accident storries and maybe decides not to take on something beyond their grasp. Or even a pro, someone who works on site all the time, maybe someone willl think twice about unsafe work practices...

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Yo I dont inhale paint period. My uncles been doing it for 30 years and hes pretty messed up. He dosent protect himself from goof off (graffiti blue cap), which Ive personally hallucinated from, sanding old paint... He never wears a mask and hes strait fucked. Ive watched him slither like a snake up stairs... To be a asshole... Thats how out of it he is. He screams and rants at 4 in the morning... Yo some stuff is safe to spray without a mask. Lots of it... Id wear the mask. I wear mine regardless. You might think its stupid, it makes me feel safer, keeps shit out of my mouth and lungs, and potentially hazardous stuff out of my body.

I dont inhale dust and fumes. Lots of painters do, im not a painter. I do it sometimes because I can. I dont inhale dust and fumes because I dont have too. Same thing with drywall. I wear a mask for that too.

Think im a pussy all you want, but I only clog my lungs with smoke I want to inhale. Not random nasties. Ill pass. Now sawdust on the other hand... Im good with that. Not scared of that unless im running my edger across a subfloor. Hell no im breathing that in. You can if you want but I dont.

For the cost of 50 bucks for a fit test, 350 for a full face respirator I dont breath in all the harmful stuff I see in a day. If you had to go into some of these mold houses and cement the vents because theres human shit in them, you be my guest and dont wear a respirator. Man theres so much you cant see that can mess you up. I dont take any chances, if its not fresh cut lumber and im worried about dust or fumes, I put on my mask.

Mask or not, do you stare at the ceiling with your mouth gaping, catching overspray or mist in the air? If you do maybe you should be at the next "favorite sawdust meeting" we can add a a catagory for favorite paint flavours. Mmm oil latex hybrid, sounds amazing dosent it? Lol I wouldnt know. Anyway You sound like your brain works so I doubt thats something you are into. Gives a whole new meaning to catching vapours though...

Ill give you thats alot of spraying to do. Im not really a fan of spraying but I dont mind cutting and rolling. I can spray, just not crazy about the movements, id rather hit something with a mallet or hammer

Oh yeah, BTW he wasnt spraying water based paint. He was spraying kilz dog. That would be oil based primer. I dont know if you catagorize that as safe to inhale but I dont particularly. Heres a copy amd paste right from kilz page dude. Huff it if you want but...

CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. VAPOR HARMFUL: May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache, or nausea. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation.

USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION: Do not breathe vapors or spray mist. Ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headache, or dizziness, or if air monitoring demonstrates vapor / mist levels are above applicable limits, wear an appropriate, properly fitted respirator (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) during and after application. Follow respirator manufacturer’s direction for respirator use. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating.

NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal.

Yeah folks, dont breath fumes because someone calls you a pussy for pulling out a mask. I dont play with that stuff, solvents sent me to the hospital once. Bad goof off trip yo, dont work with that all day without gloves and a mask...

I was just messin with ya dude, I only called you a pussy cuz you said you worked construction, and that's just like callin your buddy "dude" on all the jobsites I grew up on...new construction not this politically correct working in a homeowners residence watch what you're saying type of jobs.

I rarely wore a mask when I was spraying straight water based paint, even on ceilings...and spent a lot of time, just as you said with my jaw hanging down catching all the fallout. you wouldn't catch my spraying oil-based paints or primers without a respirator or sealer, lacquer, lacquer-stain etc. though...that stuff is harsh.

spraying is one of those things you've got to be able to get into a zone and then you just go...a set of headphones and a decent enough helper to keep your paint full and you can set the gun on cruise control and just start at the front door and go right until you get back to the front door.

fwiw, I won't mess with mold at all...if I see it, I'm out. and the same thing goes for potentially human excrement...I'm not going anywhere near it. I hate sheetrock dust more than anything, and I'll wear a mask/t-shirt if I'm doing anything more than a small patch...and I wet-sand my patches to keep the dust to a minimum.

the paint from the 80's and early 90's was WAY more harsh than the stuff that I worked with...I'm 29, been painting since I was 12 so that's 17 years...so my paint inhaling timeline starts in the late 90's when paint was a little less toxic than it previously was...and I honestly didn't work but maybe a couple weekends a month until I was about 17 and started painting 60+hrs a week.

so, although I didn't wear a mask a lot of the time I was spraying...I'm relieved that I no longer work in an environment that wearing a respirator is much of a concern(I wear a respirator in the garden anytime I spray)

blastfrompast

Veteran
watch your lungs boys...

I have a friend who ruined his with sawdust, etc. working in an unventalated shed/shop.

Borderline copd/emphasema.... and he doesn't smoke etc.... so DR is saying it has to be from his woodworking hobby. Course when he can cough up different colored wood paste depending on the type of wood he is working with...well that shoulda been his first hint to use a resperator.

It is like he hotboxes that shop with wood dust...I won't even go in there if he is working on something

S

sourpuss

Yep safety always first.... rarher not work with dumbasses who think their tough.... easy way to weed out the not so smart ones...

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
in my case respirators didn't allow me to breath enough for the pace I worked at, not only that but a lot of the times when spraying a house in the middle of summer and it's 100f+ and 100% humidity, those masks just don't breath....and it was hard to smoke a cigarette with a mask on lol(8months without smoking for me now! woohoo)...not about being tough, more along the lines of young and reckless with something to prove... this was in one of the fastest growing areas of the nation during the housing boom in 04-07, the only thing that mattered was getting that job done yesterday.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I was out on this temp construction job building a Marriott hotel with 15 floors and in my 2nd week there,they hired some more help like 2 more guys to do cleaning and general work.Well,we had this guy pee on the 3rd floor where everyone was working and it seems that he didn't see the 5 portable potties at ground level and one on each floor.

Boy did he get a chewing from a sup.The Sup was standing right there.

The same Sup was calling me by a different name and then he took notice when I told him what my name was and he said he was calling me a different name for 2 weeks.You could see him do a invisible face palm.

At the same job,one of the guys who I used to work with about 2 months back at the same temp agency is now working with me told me that at the last job at a computer company that wanted to hire me from the agency ($2000...Company has to buy you from the agency) But I said no because the pay was still too low and I said no and stopped working there to go back to school.(just an excuse)Anyways,I was still employed by the agency....the guy told me at the software-hardware company about all of 7 people including him after I left about 2 month later,everyone got arrested and handcuffed and sitting down on the sidewalk.He later told me that someone there cashed a check from the owner of the business,I guess to buy things and the money was cashed but nothing was bought... $500,000 went missing....wow talk about leaving at the right time.The 2 bosses(married) that ran the company seems to be addicted to something because of their behavior were suspicious.

ronbo51

Veteran
I got started building tract homes in northern virginia in 1980. Ryan, Ryland, Pulte, many others. It was all kids and hustlers. Everything was piece work. I saw a guy lay floor joists, rim joists,3/4" t&g plywood, cut the stairway hole, by himself, in a day, and get paid 300. That was a lot of money back then. And he had foundations to work off as far as the eye could see. I moved to Maine and worked on houses for 25 years. Old work, new work. 200 year old farmhouses. Some couple would have us do a kitchen remodel in an old, old place. We'd have to level the floors, usually by ripping up the old one and replacing rotted sills and joists and totally destroy these peoples lives, but you just couldn't go down to the lumber yard and get 20K worth of cabinets and shoot a few screws and do your best to level the base cabinets. More than one housewife came home from work and commenced crying after seeing the devastation we would have to do to try and make things right in an old fucked up house. Then getting modern electric and plumbing and lighting. All of a sudden the rest of the house looks really shabby and rough compared to what we would do. But things cost multiples more than anyone could ever imagine. Budgets would be blown the first hour on the job site. I got to work on shipcaptains homes in Bangor. High quality, well aged, built with the best materials at the time. I slogged it out through recsessions and booms and the most cold fucking winters imaginable, never missing a day due to weather. I worked for a timber framer for 3 years building beautiful barnlike structures out of oak and pine and hemlock. Maine had some money along the coast and in the last years I lived there I worked in Camden, Rockport, and the islands just offshore building multi million dollar homes for wealthy business and media types. Islesboro is where the scientology crowd hangs, Kirstey Ally, Travolta, we all worked on their places. Travolta would fly over the island sometimes in his 737 that he flew himself. He had some terrible accident at Bangor Airport where his dogs got killed on the runway. My wife worked in the neonatal unit in Bangor and he had his kid there and she was on the team and got to know the wife. One of those houses that we worked on took almost three years to build. It was a massive shingle style cottage. The front portico interior had a vaulted ceiling that was tiled with the tile from some French abbey somewhere. The tile was loaded on a truck, driven to some French port and rolled onto a freighter and shipped to NY and then driven to Maine where the stuff was unloaded and the driver turned around and headed back to France. All on the clock

CoCoSativas

Yep safety always first.... rarher not work with dumbasses who think their tough.... easy way to weed out the not so smart ones...

Yeah man. Safety is no joke.

Today I was working with my father in law. Hes a mean fucker. I dont really like him but he needed a hand...

So he wanted to pressure wash a underground parkade. Hes too cheap to rent a sweeper. Too bad he cant do math, 4 guys, combined wage 150 a hour including himself... Yeah its cheaper to rent the sweeper.

So the Co level was way high all day. 200 ppm. All the other guys are showing signs of toxicity. Especially my father in law hes crazier than usual today. He dosent think that levels a problem. Hes a moron. At 35 ppm it starts getting toxic. 50 ppm is the longterm working level thats safe, but thats maximum.

Im 20 years younger than everyone else, bigger and a smoker so I did ok, the rest of those guys... They arent doing to good. Smart man, real smart. Could have really hurt someone today. Lol my father in laws always on me about smoking, well yoday I was lucky im a smoker. My body is used to CO from smoking

Hes going on vacation, but after that im taking a break from him. If he keeps it up could be permanant. Hes a real jerk and im starting to really dislike the guy.

Oh and if anyone think we are pussies for getting CO toxicity, go open a book before you shoot off your mouth.

I dont do things like my father in law. Safety comes before speed for me. Honestly I could have brought a supplied air respirator today, and should have, but hes such a dick about that shit I said fuck it. Well I also say fuck it to doing jobs with him too. You go kill yourself you dirty rascal asshole. Next time im bringing supplied air to any bullshit like that. While im ok from the co, I still feel fucked up a bit.

So to anyone who cares about themselve, if you were planning on using safety gear and someone calls you a pussy, tell them fuck you. Get a life before you end mine. Do you want to loose a eye looking cool? How about a finger, hand, arm, your life? Anyone think its cool to drop dead because they were working in a area with toxic gas, fumes or vapours, particles? that they could have prevented simply by being safe. It takes 2 seconds and could save you your life. Dont listen to a meathead whos about to croak in 10 years because he ran himself into the ground trying to be badass Nd cool.

Other ways to be badass. Like making challenging cuts, you know, crafting something, putting skills to use. Not commiting suicide impressing a egomanic asshole. Not killing yourself trying to live out a fantasy you are invincible and workplace hazzards dont exist to you. Tell that to the guy who fell down a manhole left open and unmarked on a site I was on about 5 years ago. He was carrying a whole roll of carpet and boom fell in. Broke and shattered alot of bones. He thought he was tough too, I overheard him telling his buddy how tough he was, yada ya... OK man. Your tough and probably lucky if you didnt break your back. I never saw him after he got in the ambulance. Could be paralized. Could be fucking dead.

Im hard on my guys but you ask any of them. Ive never put them in harms way, never would and if I did, I would be the one to carry you out to safety. If i asked someone to do something unsafe, I put in place as many precautions, then implement the buddy system. Im your buddy, im right there with you at risk, not watching from a distance having a smoke.

Grrr safety makes me mad. I live in the province with the most workplace injuries in the country. No one does anything to fix it... Just keep hacking it, being fuckheads. Its so sad, theres so much wrong with the world. Too much wrong with the people in it.

CoCoSativas

in my case respirators didn't allow me to breath enough for the pace I worked at, not only that but a lot of the times when spraying a house in the middle of summer and it's 100f+ and 100% humidity, those masks just don't breath....and it was hard to smoke a cigarette with a mask on lol(8months without smoking for me now! woohoo)...not about being tough, more along the lines of young and reckless with something to prove... this was in one of the fastest growing areas of the nation during the housing boom in 04-07, the only thing that mattered was getting that job done yesterday.

You are too funny man. Reckless, yeah a bit.

So do you agree spraying kilz on a ceiling, maybe wear a mask?

Ahahah I didnt wear a mask because I wanted to smoke... Thats classic man. Yeah I like my smokes but I like being able to enjoy them without totally fuckimg up my lungs.

Housing booms. I ignore them completly I dont go hack that shit. I stick more to renos amd new construction with select home builders. You cant pay me to do shit work, its litterally in my contract. Its either done right, to code or fuck you. I dont run hardwood floor parallel to joists. No amount of begging, pleading, release forms or offers to get your wife to blow me to do a code violation. I will not do it. As far as im concerned, shit like that is not a option. Leave it for hacks with no pride.

80% of my buisness is referance. I dont get that repeat work because im a lowife lazy douche. I make my money doimg it right and dazzling the client with a unparallelled commitment to a good job. Theres no, oh its good enough so we leave it. Either its done right or get a life... Or end your own (I mean mine)... Id honestly kill myself if I did work like some ive seen. Better use of my time hanging myself than doING half ass shit work.

Last edited:

CoCoSativas

I was out on this temp construction job building a Marriott hotel with 15 floors and in my 2nd week there,they hired some more help like 2 more guys to do cleaning and general work.Well,we had this guy pee on the 3rd floor where everyone was working and it seems that he didn't see the 5 portable potties at ground level and one on each floor.

Boy did he get a chewing from a sup.The Sup was standing right there.

The same Sup was calling me by a different name and then he took notice when I told him what my name was and he said he was calling me a different name for 2 weeks.You could see him do a invisible face palm.

At the same job,one of the guys who I used to work with about 2 months back at the same temp agency is now working with me told me that at the last job at a computer company that wanted to hire me from the agency ($2000...Company has to buy you from the agency) But I said no because the pay was still too low and I said no and stopped working there to go back to school.(just an excuse)Anyways,I was still employed by the agency....the guy told me at the software-hardware company about all of 7 people including him after I left about 2 month later,everyone got arrested and handcuffed and sitting down on the sidewalk.He later told me that someone there cashed a check from the owner of the business,I guess to buy things and the money was cashed but nothing was bought... $500,00 went missing....wow talk about leaving at the right time.The 2 bosses(married) that ran the company seems to be addicted to something because of their behavior were suspicious.

Yeah if someone pulled that piss trick on my jobsite it wouldnt be good. If theres no John, piss werever, but ill be in your face pronto for doing what you described. Jesus christ go to ground level or look for a pipe or drain... Bucket... Even a concrete depression so it dosent rain on anyone else.

Gotta love the name fuckups. Even funnier when someone realizes... The looks...

Junkie bosses. Yeah my father in law is hooked on a prescription opiate. Junkies... Fuck em, let em rot and wither away

Last edited: