What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Warm White or flowering spectrum?

NeWcS

So I am in need of a new light. Going to go with a 200w cob style light(2x100w chips) But am wondering if I should stick with their 'flowering spectrum'(630nm-12pcs 660nm-12pcs 460nm-4pcs 410nm-2pcs 530nm-2pcs) or go with just warm white chips in it.

Any input would be cool. Thanks

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of excellent flowering threads using 3000K, but it depends on the specs

Crees and Veros are quite good

I will be using OSRAMs (BML Horticuture) starting tomorrow

Not being a total DIYer, they allow the grower to select their own spectrums

2 x 3 ft bars to supplement my 2 ufo 90s (3500/5000)

Mostly mixed 3000/2700, but tossed in 2 @ 450 and 3 @ 660 per bar

Come by and watch the show

NeWcS

@petflora Just the person I was hoping would stop by. What do you think I would do better with. The companies spectrum or ask for 3000k. http://************/m2tlb2b Aliexpress store; 1040448 Product HYG03-2*100W-W

I have read thru many posts on LEDs and am still not sure what the better bang for the buck is. Not to mention I suffer from a disease that causes me to have vertigo and dizziness often so reading too much is kinda a pain the the ass-crack.

I just re-read my original post and it turns out I really didn't ask a question. So my question would be; if anyone had to choose to stick with the manufacturers listed spectrum or go with the same model but with all ~3000k. Which I guess would put it in the 'high bay' category of lights.

Thanks for reading.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@petflora Just the person I was hoping would stop by. What do you think I would do better with. The companies spectrum or ask for 3000k. http://************/m2tlb2b Aliexpress store; 1040448 Product HYG03-2*100W-W

I have read thru many posts on LEDs and am still not sure what the better bang for the buck is. Not to mention I suffer from a disease that causes me to have vertigo and dizziness often so reading too much is kinda a pain the the ass-crack.

I just re-read my original post and it turns out I really didn't ask a question. So my question would be; if anyone had to choose to stick with the manufacturers listed spectrum or go with the same model but with all ~3000k. Which I guess would put it in the 'high bay' category of lights.

Thanks for reading.

Be wary of Alibaba. Lies lies, and more lies- less so with their high bay lights, BUT, all their lights tend to use cheapest chips, even when they say they use Cree or Bridgelux- knock offs. Also some growers have posted they don't actually have 3000K ready to ship

Not all 3000K chips are equal, or even close enough to grab any one

What to do?

BML Horticulture sells individual light bars made with OSRAM diodes. 2 @ 3ft will be here today. I selected 3000/2700 + 2 Royal Blue 450 and 3 red 660s.

Now, that might be a bit over overcautious, but they do not provide individual spectrum data, so I covered all the bases

Their 3000s alone might be just fine (depends on how much blue), or the combination of 3000/2700- depends on how much 630-650 the 3000s have

hth, but no standard has been established

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
whats your thoughts on these Pet?

http://www.rapidled.com/bloom-onyx-by-rapid-led/

cheers

It's a pretty decent light, but has a smallish footprint.

On another site, Rapid has been listening to what DIYers are doing/suggesting, and plan to update the Onyx accordingly

Here's my alternative: BML Horticulture

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-led-strip/

Here you can choose you own spectrums, lenses, lengths, hanging kits. I have 2 x 3ft arriving today configured to supplement my 2 ufo 90s (3500/5000). They use OSRAM diodes (a worthy Cree alternative), will cover a bigger area, are passive cooled and cost $458

They are also making me a Spydr 600 which will cover 4 x 4 @ $999

ozzieAI

Veteran
cheers for that Pet...i too love those spyders...but way too $$$ for me ATM...

i have been advised that 4 onyx bloom will cover a 6x6 area of my flowering tent...

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
? 4 Onyx @ $450= $1700

One BML Spydr = $999 + a couple bars IF you want to fill the whole 6 x 6 with light

cheers for that Pet...i too love those spyders...but way too $$$ for me ATM...

i have been advised that 4 onyx bloom will cover a 6x6 area of my flowering tent...

ozzieAI

Veteran
yeah i hear you but got a nice discount on the onyx and the BML spyder only cover 3x3 or so they say on their website so 4 will be needed to cover 6x6= $4K...

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i hear you but got a nice discount on the onyx and the BML spyder only cover 3x3 or so they say on their website so 4 will be needed to cover 6x6= $4K...

Ozzie, your math is screwed up

6 x 6 = 2 @ 3 x 3

morgandecaptain

2700k or 3000k will do a great job in flower on it's own if it's a quality LED with a nice spectral curve. Quality and efficiency are everything when it comes to LED's.

NeWcS

Any thoughts on this;

Attachments

• China-made-cob-200w-shenzhen-led-grow-lights-full-spectrum-for-2014-hydroponics.jpg
    China-made-cob-200w-shenzhen-led-grow-lights-full-spectrum-for-2014-hydroponics.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 16

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any thoughts on this;

Mixing spectrums on a single chip is a bad idea, but typical of the asian money suckers

Individual bands/spectrums are simply not needed, and are counter productive as solo lighting

MJ needs a FULL spectrum, which some combination of CW/NW + WW chips provide

Look into COBs. They are they way to go. FYI, cinese cobs may not be that great. so Cree, Bridgleux, Oslon...

spachal

Veteran
The only problem of these COB's is the price. It's too cheap .. Really, it's the problem. Because there is high possibility that producer of these multiled panels is using very cheap emitters with very low ratio lm/W ..
In the result high consumption & low efficiency :/