What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Guy LED- ( Formerly Magnum LED )

I bought the new 800w G2 unit from this guy
My first LED ever

http://greenguyled.com/

It has 16 COB units of 50w each (32x3), promising at first but,
these parabolic units keep going out. So far 4 are burned out

Now, getting a hold of these clowns is the 1st challenge. then, if your lucky enough to get them on the phone, (cause he never answers emails or voicemails!), then he will tell you that he will send you the driver replacement parts. OK, that took weeks, to find out after taking this contraption completely apart, (not easy), to find out that it was actually the chipset that needed replacing. UGGGH!
After weeks more of calling and calling, I finally got him to send me the 4 failed LED chips, but once again, its MY JOB to repair this ever failing unit.
Honestly, it seems to work well, WHEN ITS WORKING, but just a warning to others, I am not happy with the continued issues with this unit. EVEN worse is the lack of customer service. I spent $1200 on a unit I expect to work properly for at least a few years. It didn't happen

Last edited:

positivity

Veteran
Sorry bro..that's lame

Not the first report of this happening on this particular light I've seen. Should ask for a refund since the unit must be running too hot. I'd be pissed after spending that much money.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
good to post this info, fuck the idiots wanting to rip people off with inferior products.

reports like these will be their demise, which they deserve.

every customer should be treated extremely well, it is customers that put food on your table, if you can't keep 'em happy that means your product sucks, your prices suck and you suck.

good luck man and thanks for the heads up.

peace!

edit: their website sucks.

NeWcS

That's too much money for something like that to go. I would contact the attorney general in the state they are operating out of if they don't give you a refund. But that's me. I am so sick of seeing people spending good money only for things like this to happen.

The Groff

2014 and people are still blind to the pudding... fair enough...

quality LEDs rule over anything today. Low quality LED are really really bad for growing.

sanjuan

Lumigrow is the only brand I can even imagine a commercial greenhouse buying a pallet load of.

Their marketing dept has too much BS, though (LumiPAR).

Edit: Illumitex might qualify, I haven't checked them out.

My curiosity to prove these LED's work as well or better than HID's has never been more elevated. HID's are wonderful (everyone knows this), assuming temperature is not an issue. Me, I enjoy my results (of my HID's), even paying stupid numbers to keep this indoor environment cool enough for root mass, pest, and potential disease prevention.

Having said that, I am looking for the proof, (even if its not cheap), that a high wattage LED unit ,(because I believe you need this to even begin to challenge a 1000w HID) , can match or even KILL a 1000w HPS. Hopefully it would be both cool and quiet running, and not too damn heavy. Some of these hoods are stupid heavy, IMO. Difficult for 1 person to hang and not great for light movers weighing so much.

So far most results I have seen are good, but typically more leafy, and slightly smaller. But , it seems that resin production is always nice, at least under higher end products

sammyz, which led fixtures have u tried so far? sounds interesting

Well, my hands on experience is limited with LED 's. This unit I bought is my first. I have done months of research prior to this purchase but obviously it wasn't quite enough. Today a 5th parabolic unit has gone out. 5 of 16? In 3 months?

OK, so I am clear that it is an imperfect world we live in. Moving parts, relays, fans, all these things can, and eventually will stop working. But so soon? And that's not even really it. Its the customer service that really make or breaks these products. Especially when they are trying to make their mark in the growing world.

I will try and see if this company will man up and send me a total replacement unit at this point, cause even if he sends me all the parts, it will take 2 people and a few hours to rework all these new parts into the unit. (He acts like its too easy) The company owner admitted to some issues, but mailing a guy spare parts and asking him to get into the guts of one of these bigger hoods and figure out which piece goes where is WAY more than I bargained for

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
sammyz, you're right, too much, specially for the price of the unit.

I've been researching led too, can't make up my mind what to buy though... contacted three companies already, only one answered me super professionally and super helpful, but they don't deliver to where I live, so that was a big let down for me... the other two did not even bother writing back, fuck those two other ones really.

I have yet to contact a last option, and see if they even answer or ship out here. but haven't because they are pricey units, and also have read of a few issues with their power supply in their units...

may as well just wait longer and see what happens.

peace

green path

sorry to hear man..

I wonder though, since the chips are running that much watts per chip, I think that's the downfall right now of these units.. they need better heatsinks, copper for the led sink, better thermal interface from led to sink...

So since my last post, it has been 10 days. 10 days and I have religiously been calling this company (Magnum), with not 1 answer.
This has now been going on for a total of around 6 months
And still haven't received the parts I was promised to repair the unlit parabolic units.

AVOID THIS COMPANY-

"MAGNUM/GREEN GUY LED"

EDIT-- 6-19-14---Magnum has new owners and they responded very well, taking care of everything!

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

DEFECTIVE PARTS

Just sayin' how it is

Last edited:

positivity

Veteran
Better business bureau? They helped me once in a situation, easy online form.

Find it hard to believe they won't replace the parts. Unless they are getting swamped with repair claims..

Maybe you could just find a comparable cree cxa cob. One that will match up with your drivers. Make it an all warm white 2700k or 3000k light.

But with the kind of money spent you really shouldn't have to pay jack..

Swamped with repair claims. That was my thought exactly.
Maybe he just got tired of everyone calling to "FIX" their high dollar hood
He could just be simply overwhelmed with the volume of faulty components and people calling

I learned how to make my own with chinese parts, then I learned how to fix it, then I learned how it design so it didn't blow up. All the parts and tools were still cheaper than paying someone. 36 x 10w LEDs and I'm on my third LED grow.

Now on my third fixture. This one is 2 x 50w red/blue LEDs, and 15 x 10w CW, WW, and blue. This is going a 1 square foot box.

zero244

Sorry about your ripoff and that is what happened to you. By posting your experience should help other unsuspecting people from buying from them.

Sorry about your ripoff and that is what happened to you. By posting your experience should help other unsuspecting people from buying from them.

This was my hope :)
BTW, check the post dates, I am still calling 2 to 3 times daily and have still not been able to reach this guy. It seems that he actually lied to me about sending me the extra parts. I spoke with him before Xmas and he assured me that he mailed them himself. Its late, late Jan now, and all I can say is, REALLY? wow

Anyone know where, or if, I may obtain a quality replacement 50w parabolic light for this hood? Alibaba?

Just wanted to chip in with my experience with this company...
I bought one of their units as well, not the one you have, the older magnum.

Never had a prob. with the unit but I only used it for 1 grow (veg and bloom) the finished product turned out extremely frosty (as most of my grows do) but the harvest was about 10-15% less than what i usually get using HID's, so no idea to use this light anymore.

So I now have 6 out of 16 total COB's out. DARK . OFF .
And I am STILL unable to reach anyone at this company. I call everyday multiple times, leave voicemails, emails and can not reach anybody

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts